Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

New Jersey Devils First Round Pick Reinstated (Will Pick 30th)

"Lou Lamoriello has done it again, he has worked his magic to get the Devils out of a bind.

The penalties that the New Jersey Devils were dealt years ago when they signed Ilya Kovalchuk to what was deemed a cap-circumventing contract have been reduced. Originally New Jersey was fined $3 million, lost a third-round draft pick in 2011 and was going to lose a first-rounder at some time in the next four years.

After electing to keep their pick for the first three years, this was going to be the year the Devils gave up their first-rounder. But the Devils will still pick in the first round. With Kovalchuk bolting for the KHL, the league had a change of heart.

The sanctions originally imposed on the Club included a significant fine, the forfeiture of the Club's third-round draft selection in 2011 (which was forfeited) and the forfeiture of a first-round draft selection which has been deferred by the Club until this year in accordance with the terms of the original penalty. As a result, as it relates to the portion of the discipline relating to the first-round draft pick, the Devils stand to forfeit it entirely in the upcoming 2014 NHL Draft. The Devils recently applied to the League for reconsideration and relief from a portion of the original penalty, citing primarily changes in circumstances which, in the Club's view, changed the appropriateness of the sanctions initially imposed. After due and thorough consideration, the League has decided that a modification of the original circumvention penalty associated with the Kovalchuk contract is warranted and, accordingly, has amended the sanctions as follows:

The New Jersey Devils will now be entitled to the 30th selection overall in the 2014 NHL Draft (the last pick in the first round), regardless of the Devils' final standing following the 2013/14 season.

The Club will not be permitted to trade or transfer its right to the 30th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Draft.

The Club's fine has been partially reduced.

Well, well, well, ain't that a break. That fine was initially $3 million but Darren Dreger says the Devils are getting half of that back.

You can imagine how the other teams around the league feel.

You could argue the initial penalty on the Devils was ridiculous enough given what the rules stated and the similar contracts around the league. But they got hit and now the NHL backtracks on the most punitive part. A questionable penalty in the first place gets arbitrarily overruled now. Bad begets bad in this case.

No wonder other GMs aren't happy. The Devils got out from under Kovalchuk's long contract and now are getting off the hook for the most part for signing it in the first place. And it's going to knock everybody know a peg in the draft order but that's minor compared to the NHL simply backing off a stiff punishment.

Though the Devils aren't getting a full reinstatement of their first-round pick here -- they'll pick 30th instead of what's looking like would be a pick somewhere around 14 -- it's certainly one early pick more than they had before. And that they weren't supposed to have.

Not that this comes completely out of the blue, mind you. Many expected this would happen, especially when Kovalchuk left the NHL. But the conspiracy theories are running even more wild given what the Devils elected to do in the 2012 draft. That year the Devils made it to the Stanley Cup Final and as a result picked 29th. Surely they wouldn't have a better time to forfeit a first-rounder and minimize the value lost. Instead they kept the pick in a move that made little to no sense ... until now."

vCash
    To be honest I think that what the NHL did for New Jersey is ********. They deserved their penalty. ****ing dumb.
    "whoever started is a retardedd" - Marco Reus aka TO aka Karen aka Karan

"Him and Greene make like not make a mistake" - Hacob

"I love watching him, he just stands and bangs" - DIRK

vCash
    What a joke

vCash
    I never understood the penalty to begin with, they were about the 5th or 6th team to circumvent the cap.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    This is a Joke. I bet if Kovalchuk doesnt walk away they would have kept the penalties... ******** move

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Gotta love the league sticking to their guns here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlznerson View Post
    To be honest I think that what the NHL did for New Jersey is ********. They deserved their penalty. ****ing dumb.
    Tbh they weren't the first team to do this and the difference between the fined contact and the legal contact was 2 million and 2 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    What a joke
    The penalty was the joke
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I never understood the penalty to begin with, they were about the 5th or 6th team to circumvent the cap.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    This is a Joke. I bet if Kovalchuk doesnt walk away they would have kept the penalties... ******** move
    You probably are correct that if he didn't walk it would have not changed..
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Gotta love the league sticking to their guns here.

vCash
    They weren't the first team to do it but they sure as hell were the first team to do it on this kind of absolutely ridiculous scale that made a mockery of the CBA. They deserved the penalty.

vCash
    Exactly. For example, Holland has done did it for years before that with the contracts of Franzen, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. He didn't do it THAT hard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Tbh they weren't the first team to do this and the difference between the fined contact and the legal contact was 2 million and 2 years

They weren't going to fine them again. The new contract wasn't circumventing quite as hard and they saw improvement so they let it go through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Devils still will end up paying 1.5 million losing a 3rd rounder and will not get a higher 1st rounder... & considering other teams have done this (though to not that extent) & were not fined then this penalty should be sufficient.

vCash
    They weren't the first team to do it but they sure as hell were the first team to do it on this kind of absolutely ridiculous scale that made a mockery of the CBA. They deserved the penalty.
    Hossa is signed until age 42 and he makes 4 million over his final four seasons. His deal is clear cap circuvention, as bad as it gets. You can't turn your head the first four times it happens and then penalize the team that does it the fifth time. That's the definition of unfair.

The only reason people could defend the league's penalty is bias. You view the Devils as a competitor and what's bad for them is good for you. Otherwise, it makes no ****ing sense at all.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Hossa is signed until age 42 and he makes 4 million over his final four seasons. His deal is clear cap circuvention, as bad as it gets. You can't turn your head the first four times it happens and then penalize the team that does it the fifth time. That's the definition of unfair.

The only reason people could defend the league's penalty is bias. You view the Devils as a competitor and what's bad for them is good for you. Otherwise, it makes no ****ing sense at all.
    I have no bias..... I really don't give a ****. Hossa is playing until he's 42, you can book that. Kovalchuk was never playing through the end of that contract and the Devils knew it.

vCash

Ya and Kovalchuk was set to earn 550K over the last 4 years of his deal. I agree with Carl, there were other contracts that were bad, but nothing was close to the level of absurdity of Kovy's contract

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    I have no bias..... I really don't give a ****. Hossa is playing until he's 42, you can book that. Kovalchuk was never playing through the end of that contract and the Devils knew it.
    What are you a fortune teller?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast