Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rebuilding a WR Corps

This is a topic of much angst among Panthers fans right now, I think. The Panthers frankly have a bunch of roster fodder at WR outside of Steve Smith, and there's talk that Smith is going to be cut (I doubt it, but apparently some in the organization think it would be best to "reset" the locker room this off-season, so to speak, particularly with Gross already retired). So, in playing the game, let's assume here that Smith is cut.

I think, even in that scenario, you can construct a WR corps that isn't too bad for a pretty cheap number. For me, I'd look at Sidney Rice, Jason Avant, and bringing back Ted Ginn. All of them should be had fairly cheaply. I think with those three, plus a rookie drafted in the top 3 rounds, you're in great shape at WR. Bring back LaFell even if he can't get the contract he wants.

Regardless, I think the Panthers have the opportunity to be in much better shape at WR in 2014 than they were in 2013. Thoughts?

vCash
    In addition to those you've mentioned, you could probably add Nicks (like him or not, he should be pretty affordable compared to his potential value) and Golden Tate (I love Tate and he'll probably be signed under 7M/season).

IMO we have nowhere to go but up with our WRs. All of our WRs from last season are replaceable. LaFell is unreliable, Ginn is highly unpolished and had a year nobody expected him to have (I like to credit our coaches and Cam), and Smitty is just a possession receiver at this point in his career which is nice but who wants a 5'9" possession WR? Smitty is the only one who isn't easily replaceable, but I'd argue that Tate/Nicks/Rice would all be more productive than Smith at this point.

I imagine we'll re-sign Ginn and target one FA WR the draft a WR or 2 with high picks. I believe I read the other day that we're trying to sign Ginn and Mitchell before FA starts.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    In addition to those you've mentioned, you could probably add Nicks (like him or not, he should be pretty affordable compared to his potential value) and Golden Tate (I love Tate and he'll probably be signed under 7M/season).

IMO we have nowhere to go but up with our WRs. All of our WRs from last season are replaceable. LaFell is unreliable, Ginn is highly unpolished and had a year nobody expected him to have (I like to credit our coaches and Cam), and Smitty is just a possession receiver at this point in his career which is nice but who wants a 5'9" possession WR? Smitty is the only one who isn't easily replaceable, but I'd argue that Tate/Nicks/Rice would all be more productive than Smith at this point.

I imagine we'll re-sign Ginn and target one FA WR the draft a WR or 2 with high picks. I believe I read the other day that we're trying to sign Ginn and Mitchell before FA starts.
    I tend to think Nicks will end up getting a fairly sizable deal, even after a terrible year. Tate I could see being a little less expensive than Tate imagines he will be at this point.

And yeah, I'd much rather have Tate/Nicks/Rice/(Ginn?) rather than Steve Smith and garbage. No doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    This is a topic of much angst among Panthers fans right now, I think. The Panthers frankly have a bunch of roster fodder at WR outside of Steve Smith, and there's talk that Smith is going to be cut (I doubt it, but apparently some in the organization think it would be best to "reset" the locker room this off-season, so to speak, particularly with Gross already retired). So, in playing the game, let's assume here that Smith is cut.

I think, even in that scenario, you can construct a WR corps that isn't too bad for a pretty cheap number. For me, I'd look at Sidney Rice, Jason Avant, and bringing back Ted Ginn. All of them should be had fairly cheaply. I think with those three, plus a rookie drafted in the top 3 rounds, you're in great shape at WR. Bring back LaFell even if he can't get the contract he wants.

Regardless, I think the Panthers have the opportunity to be in much better shape at WR in 2014 than they were in 2013. Thoughts?
    I still have a really hard time imagining the Panthers letting Smith go at this point. However, no one has come out and said he's for sure going to be back next year so there's always that possibility. In my mind, the best scenario still involves Smith coming back next year. Beyond that I would be ok with a complete overhall of the position. I'm on the fence about bringing back LaFell and Ginn. I would lean toward Ginn over LaFell if I had to choose since he's a deep threat and also is a huge part of the return game. I think he may require less money than LaFell too.

I think we absolutely have to pick a WR with one of our first two picks. Then we need to get at least 1 WR in free agency that's capable of being at least a #2 WR. My ideal scenario would probably be keep Smith, draft a WR with our 1st/2nd round pick, bring in someone like Nicks or Rice, and then bring back Ginn. That would give us 4 capable WRs and be a huge upgrade over last season. I really feel like Cam's development will be hurt if we don't finally put some weapons around him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    I still have a really hard time imagining the Panthers letting Smith go at this point. However, no one has come out and said he's for sure going to be back next year so there's always that possibility. In my mind, the best scenario still involves Smith coming back next year. Beyond that I would be ok with a complete overhall of the position. I'm on the fence about bringing back LaFell and Ginn. I would lean toward Ginn over LaFell if I had to choose since he's a deep threat and also is a huge part of the return game. I think he may require less money than LaFell too.

I think we absolutely have to pick a WR with one of our first two picks. Then we need to get at least 1 WR in free agency that's capable of being at least a #2 WR. My ideal scenario would probably be keep Smith, draft a WR with our 1st/2nd round pick, bring in someone like Nicks or Rice, and then bring back Ginn. That would give us 4 capable WRs and be a huge upgrade over last season. I really feel like Cam's development will be hurt if we don't finally put some weapons around him.
    The ****** thing about our scenario is that we have dire needs at WR1, WR2, LT, and RT. As it currently stands we have Steve Smith signed on roster and that's it aside from King and McNutt who've never started (though I like McNutt a lot). So we have a 35 year old who has no explosiveness left in him who should be designated to the slot and WR2 until he retires, but if we were to lose Smith today we wouldn't have anyone in place to play WR1 OR WR2. We have absolutely nobody who can play LT on roster, and based on Bell's performance we're definitely in need of replacing him at RT. So in one off-season we need to manage to find all four of those positions while hoping Smith continues to be startable.

IMO, we need to sign at least one of the following WRs: Tate/Nicks/Rice/other cheap-ish WR. Then we need to sign a veteran who can play LT (won't be easy), then re-sign Ginn or LaFell (preferably Ginn). From there we draft BPA that fits a need (OL/WR/CB). This doesn't even consider the fact that Wharton, Mitchell, Munnerlyn, and Hartsock are all FAs who contributed to our success this year in some shape. I personally think all of them are replaceable, but we still are very low on money, so we'll have to see G-man work some magic, hopefully beginning with convincing Smith and Godfrey to take a pay-cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The ****** thing about our scenario is that we have dire needs at WR1, WR2, LT, and RT. As it currently stands we have Steve Smith signed on roster and that's it aside from King and McNutt who've never started (though I like McNutt a lot). So we have a 35 year old who has no explosiveness left in him who should be designated to the slot and WR2 until he retires, but if we were to lose Smith today we wouldn't have anyone in place to play WR1 OR WR2. We have absolutely nobody who can play LT on roster, and based on Bell's performance we're definitely in need of replacing him at RT. So in one off-season we need to manage to find all four of those positions while hoping Smith continues to be startable.

IMO, we need to sign at least one of the following WRs: Tate/Nicks/Rice/other cheap-ish WR. Then we need to sign a veteran who can play LT (won't be easy), then re-sign Ginn or LaFell (preferably Ginn). From there we draft BPA that fits a need (OL/WR/CB). This doesn't even consider the fact that Wharton, Mitchell, Munnerlyn, and Hartsock are all FAs who contributed to our success this year in some shape. I personally think all of them are replaceable, but we still are very low on money, so we'll have to see G-man work some magic, hopefully beginning with convincing Smith and Godfrey to take a pay-cut.
    I absolutely believe Smith will still be startable next year (assuming he's still around). It's just that he's not a #1 anymore and can't be counted on like he was in previous years. Last year was really the first year I saw a noticeable drop off for him, but even what he did last year would be enough to be WR2. We need a vet (like you mentioned) to shoulder some of the load immediately and then I believe we need to draft a young WR in the 1st/2nd round to prepare for the future. Let's say Smith does come back next year, I can't see him playing beyond next season or maybe 1 more season. It's time to bring in a legit young talent so they have time to develop a little before they're thrust into a starting spot.

I saw McShay's most recent mock draft and he has us taking Kelvin Benjamin from FSU. It wouldn't probably be ideal to draft him (for example) and have to insert him into a WR1/WR2 role immediately. If we get a vet and bring Smith back, then someone like Benjamin could be WR3 and eased into a bigger role.
    Last edited by RCarlson85; 03-07-2014 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    I absolutely believe Smith will still be startable next year (assuming he's still around). It's just that he's not a #1 anymore and can't be counted on like he was in previous years. Last year was really the first year I saw a noticeable drop off for him, but even what he did last year would be enough to be WR2. We need a vet (like you mentioned) to shoulder some of the load immediately and then I believe we need to draft a young WR in the 1st/2nd round to prepare for the future. Let's say Smith does come back next year, I can't see him playing beyond next season or maybe 1 more season. It's time to bring in a legit young talent so they have time to develop a little before they're thrust into a starting spot.

I saw McShay's most recent mock draft and he has us taking Kelvin Benjamin from FSU. It wouldn't probably be ideal to draft him (for example) and have to insert him into a WR1/WR2 role immediately. If we get a vet and bring Smith back, then someone like Benjamin could be WR3 and eased into a bigger role.
    Yeah, I'd love to see us sign Tate and draft Benjamin. Even though he has bust potential, if he panned out he and Tate would compliment each other very nicely.

vCash
    I really don't think we need to address our WR corp just yet, I think we need to sign a Vet OT, Eugene Monroe, Jared Veldheer or Branden Albert would be ideal in my opinion. Then sign a WR that will take a 1-2 year contract on the lower end like Robert Meachem, Lance Moore, Sidney Rice, James Jones, Golden Tate, Devin Hester, Kenny Birtt ( if he can step up and make plays on offense and mature off the field), Josh Cribbs, Danario Alexander. There are a lot of WR that would better this team and would make our WR corps more rounded.

Then in the draft, I think we take either a OT,WR,DB depending on what kind of talent is on the board the first two rounds. Zack Martin, Cyrus Kouandjio (if he can show he's grown and matured enough to be a underclassmen in the big leagues), Taylor Lewan if he drops in the first round. We could also take Jack Mewhort, Antonio Richardson, Morgan Moses, in the 2nd round which most possibly could fall to us. There is going to be a lot of decent WR that could come out being a decent #2 or #3 that still could compliment Smith like Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, or even Marqise Lee or Mike Evans if we find a way to trade up in the draft. Dont doubt on Big Boss Man G, He'll always have a plan up his sleeve.

vCash
    And just a quick question what is this vCash thing. if anyone could please explain it to me.

vCash
    I'd still like to see what Pilares offers, if anything. He's been injured these last couple years though, so should be interesting. Think it's gotta be a patchwork offense for a bit because, as y'all have mentioned, we have several holes that need addressed. I'd love to bring Sidney Rice home -- Rice, Ginn, and Smith would be a decent lineup. I'd be comfortable with some younger guys behind those three. There are several other good options out there as well.

This draft will be interesting. It's gonna be much more difficult to get "our guy" with our position in the draft and we probably need to double-dip at a couple positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyStew28 View Post
    And just a quick question what is this vCash thing. if anyone could please explain it to me.
    I'm just as clueless haha. I think one of the threads at the top of the general forum might explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I'd still like to see what Pilares offers, if anything. He's been injured these last couple years though, so should be interesting. Think it's gotta be a patchwork offense for a bit because, as y'all have mentioned, we have several holes that need addressed. I'd love to bring Sidney Rice home -- Rice, Ginn, and Smith would be a decent lineup. I'd be comfortable with some younger guys behind those three. There are several other good options out there as well.

This draft will be interesting. It's gonna be much more difficult to get "our guy" with our position in the draft and we probably need to double-dip at a couple positions.
    I really liked Pilares. Every time I saw him in a pre-season game I was convinced that he was our replacement Smitty (small and speedy, but pretty physical), and then that screen that he took to the house in 2012 was fun t see. If he's still capable of playing, I see no reason why he can't be camp fodder.

vCash
    Hopefully we at least engage in talks with Rice's reps. I am not sure if we can afford what Nicks will want unless he just wants to come home.

vCash
    Well the Panthers have really dug themselves in a hole right now. Losing 3xWRs, one arguably being a WR1, is not a good start. They haven't signed any of the big names (Nicks, Rice, or Tate) and there aren't too many. Now they'll probably take a WR at #28 but that may land you Mike Evans at the very most but I would be willing to bet they will sign Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Cooks, neither of which are that exciting to be honest.

Bottom line, they need to make at least three more FA signings. A formiddable CB (Rodgers-Cromartie), and two WRs (James Jones and maybe Miles Austin).

vCash
    Frankly, I think the Panthers must sign James Jones at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Frankly, I think the Panthers must sign James Jones at this point.
    I agree. They have 8mil cap space so they should be able to get it done. James jones and a WR in the first round....I would be satisfied with that after a terrible FA.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast