Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why being a Met fan is so frustrating

Lets Review what it is like to be a Mets fan. So far in spring the Mets top pitching prospects. Montero- 2 innings, 0 hits, 3 k's, Syndergaard- 2 innings, 1 hit, 2 k's , Degromm- 4 innings, 1 hits, 6 k's. No runs allowed by any of them. Non prospects Dice K- Washed Up (Do not care how he finished last year) Lannan- A never made it bust. Mets Manager and GM say "Dice K and Lannan lead the charge for the final spot in the rotation. Yeap my friends that is what is is like being a Mets fan.

I am beyond frustrated with this franchise. What is even the point of having battles in spring if they mean nothing. So basically Montero could throw no hit ball all spring and he is going down. It is this type of thinking why we will also be a losing franchise. I can deal with the not spending money, Teams can win without spending money, Happens every season. But this kind of stuff talked about above goes on every year with this franchise and it is a joke.

vCash
    Terrific post, can't disagree with anything that you just said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Labruno View Post
    Lets Review what it is like to be a Mets fan. So far in spring the Mets top pitching prospects. Montero- 2 innings, 0 hits, 3 k's, Syndergaard- 2 innings, 1 hit, 2 k's , Degromm- 4 innings, 1 hits, 6 k's. No runs allowed by any of them. Non prospects Dice K- Washed Up (Do not care how he finished last year) Lannan- A never made it bust. Mets Manager and GM say "Dice K and Lannan lead the charge for the final spot in the rotation. Yeap my friends that is what is is like being a Mets fan.

I am beyond frustrated with this franchise. What is even the point of having battles in spring if they mean nothing. So basically Montero could throw no hit ball all spring and he is going down. It is this type of thinking why we will also be a losing franchise. I can deal with the not spending money, Teams can win without spending money, Happens every season. But this kind of stuff talked about above goes on every year with this franchise and it is a joke.

The Mets can't. Look at the last 10 WS winners, not many small-market payrolls. I'll save you some time, the only SM payroll winner was 10 years ago, the Marlins.

You wanna follow the Marlins' model?

I'll stick to Bostons' model, big market, big payroll, draft well, invest in the farm, be smart.

Having @ $85M payroll or thereabouts in NY is an absolute disgrace. It's disgusting, we're being held to ransom by people who patently cannot afford to run the team.

vCash
    Just saying having low payroll is one thing but continuing to run a franchise where it does not matter how you perform is a disgrace. Lucky for them I am loyal to my teams. But I stopped giving them money years ago. Do not by any new apparel, do not go to games. TV and that is it for me.

vCash
    I don't see how giving Montero 3 weeks in the minor leagues for 1 extra year of arbitration control is a bad idea. It's 3 starts. DeGrom will most likely break camp with the team as a reliever and both guys are going to be their 5th SP option if Dice-K or Lannan hurt or dont make the team. Mejia is in that group too.

Remember Lannan could be a LH bullpen piece as well.

There also hoping that Dice-K or Lannan in the rotation can possibly bring them back a piece in trade if they over perform. This season is about accumulating assets as well as making improvements on the field and those guys could afford decent pieces if they overperform.

Syndergaard is the same thing. He has dynamite stuff but that extra year of control is important and even getting him past Super 2 status could be beneficial in a year where his innings are going to be capped at 140-150. To be fair, his changeup needs work too as you want a SP to have at least solid offerings.

It's not what most fans want to see but they are shifting course in their idealism for fans. They have a process with these young arms that they are sticking to and have been consistent on that approach like Wheeler and Harvey before them.

Either way Syndergaard, Montero, Mejia, DeGrom or some variation of will be in the rotation next year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-06-2014 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    It is more then 3 weeks. Montero would not be allowed up until mid June if they are all about that. And why should us as fans have to wait for a reason like that? Did Miami do that with Fernandez or Stanton? NO when they were ready they were up. We are the only team it seems that could care less about the fans. And Sandy said win 90 games? Yeah maybe in 3 years lol

vCash
    Just saying having low payroll is one thing but continuing to run a franchise where it does not matter how you perform is a disgrace. Lucky for them I am loyal to my teams. But I stopped giving them money years ago. Do not by any new apparel, do not go to games. TV and that is it for me.

I don't blame you for not giving them money. While they're clearly not owners' who regard winning as the most important goal - most teams delay arby clocks etc

If you're saying they're a lethargic, timid, frightened and vets' first always kinda ballclub under the Coupons' then I could not agree more. They're completely wrong for NY.

vCash
    It is more then 3 weeks. Montero would not be allowed up until mid June if they are all about that. And why should us as fans have to wait for a reason like that? Did Miami do that with Fernandez or Stanton? NO when they were ready they were up. We are the only team it seems that could care less about the fans. And Sandy said win 90 games? Yeah maybe in 3 years lol
    Not necessarily. What if Lannan or Dice K don't make the team? Or they shift Lannan to the bullpen? Or they both suck in the rotation? They pulled the plug early on Aaron Laffey last year and ST still has 3 weeks left before they finalize rosters.

Miami does that because they have no intentions on keeping those guys. They will be traded long before they hit FA and no one comes to their ballpark. They had the 2nd lowest attendance in baseball (2 years after they got a brand new stadium) so any attraction would help from a financial standpoint. That and their approach with their young players is different. That said, they still waited till in season to bring Stanton up and get that extra year of arbitration control even if they brought him up at 20 years old.

You have to judge individual players on how ready they are. The same blanket rule doesn't apply to every player.

Every team exercises arbitration control and super 2 with individual prospects. You just only pay attention to when the Mets do it because you are a Met's fan.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-06-2014 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    And if the Marlins do have intentions keeping Jose Fernandez they just made where they have to pay him in FA a year earlier for 3 less starts in a meaningless 2013 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    And if the Marlins do have intentions keeping Jose Fernandez they just made it that they have to pay him in FA a year earlier for 3 starts in a meaningless 2013 season.
    It's meaningless for the Marlins' though. He'll never get close to FA in that uni.

vCash
    It is more then 3 weeks. Montero would not be allowed up until mid June if they are all about that.
    Wrong.

And why should us as fans have to wait for a reason like that?
    Because it's an extra year of control. These players are assets of the organization and that extra year is more value your asset has. For a 3 week wait, playing him now would be foolish

Did Miami do that with Fernandez or Stanton? NO when they were ready they were up.
    Miami is a poorly run franchise under their current ownership. Their ownership has foolishly meddled into player personnel decisions when they know absolutely nothing about baseball. They had an very accomplished GM who parted ways last season because of ownership reaching in and making baseball decisions.

vCash

Shows how much you know about John Lannan.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It's meaningless for the Marlins' though. He'll never get close to FA in that uni.
    Well that kid looks like a potential ace so they did themselves a huge disservice if they ever want to win with him by taking away that extra year of control. He also has less trade value to some extent 2-3 years down the road for that same reason.

What was the point in that when they were god awful last year?

So unless the Mets are the new Tampa Rays where they trade trade proven young players before they hit FA for prospects then the extra year of control is important.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-06-2014 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well that kid looks like a potential ace so they did themselves a huge disservice if they ever want to win with him by taking away that extra year of control. He also has less trade value to some extent 2-3 years down the road for that same reason.

What was the point in that when they were god awful last year?

So unless the Mets are the new Tampa Rays where they trade trade proven young players before they hit FA for prospects then the extra year of control is important.

Not really because they're never gonna pay him, or try to win either. The Marlins' aren't being run to compete, that's blatantly obvious even more so than the Mets' are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Not really because they're never gonna pay him, or try to win either. The Marlins' aren't being run to compete, that's blatantly obvious even more so than the Mets' are.
    The Marlins are being run to compete, they just don't have the revenue sources to do it any other way but through their farm system. No attendance, ****** tv deal, etc.

The Mets should be able to use their revenue sources like SNY and increased future attendance (through whatever they reap out of this potential rotation and trades) as ways to be able to spend on the team if they can refinance their debt. That link Filihok posted in the other thread from Bloomberg Sports said ticket sales only accounted for 27% of the Mets overall revenue last year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/infographic...am-values.html
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast