Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Bethancourt

vCash

Bethancourt

Hey All

Just curious what the talk is with the Braves about how far away is Bethancourt from the big show? Or is Gattis the long term solution?>

vCash
    Bethancourt is close to being a major leaguer and he's the long term solution, he took a big step offensively last year at AA, and he probably start the season at AAA, if he can continue to improve this year we could see him being the starting catcher by 2015.

vCash
    Personally, I'm thinking one of Bethancourt or Gattis will be gone by next season. If Gattis shows he can handle everyday duties while hitting well and playing a decent defense, he could very well earn the long term spot. Conversely, if Gattis gets hurt and Bethancourt comes up and proves he can hit, we might see what we could get for El Oso.
    ]

vCash
    Well I for one am hoping to see Mr Bethancourt this season

vCash
    I'm hoping we see him some. If he has to come and take over means something is wrong with Gattis. CB isn't ready offensively yet for the MLB. I think AAA for the year would do him some good. No offense but having CB, BJ with their low OB% and if Uggs isn't hitting would make for a terrible offensive team. Not to mention Simmons. I love the man and know his numbers went up in the second half but still had an OB % less than .300 (which I think he will be several points above 300 this year). I just don't see the rush this year. Let him mold himself into an even better hitter. One good year in the minors doesn't sell me on him yet. A .305 OB% is not blowing me away yet. If he duplicates his numbers at AAA this year and increases his OB then I think we have something. He needs more time though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLKoos16:28090419
    Personally, I'm thinking one of Bethancourt or Gattis will be gone by next season. If Gattis shows he can handle everyday duties while hitting well and playing a decent defense, he could very well earn the long term spot. Conversely, if Gattis gets hurt and Bethancourt comes up and proves he can hit, we might see what we could get for El Oso.
    I disagree. Laird's contract is up after this season, so why not bring up Bethancourt then? Even if he develops, J Upton and Heyward could be gone after the 2015 season. Gattis could be a LF who mashes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    I disagree. Laird's contract is up after this season, so why not bring up Bethancourt then? Even if he develops, J Upton and Heyward could be gone after the 2015 season. Gattis could be a LF who mashes.
    Gattis can't play LF, not at an average level at least, I believe both Gattis and CB are going to be with the club next year, we're not exactly deep in the catching position.

vCash
    How about the catcher that the Braves signed from cuba I think?

vCash
    Lol who knows, there might be a DH in both leagues by the time we have to really worry about this.

vCash
    I would think Bethancourt is probably a year away from taking the job.

Gattis is the stop gap for a year, and they'll want Bethancourt to show he can earn the job in 2015.

And if he doesn't earn it, then you have Gattis....but you would rather move him away from behind the plate and you don't want to rely on Gattis.

Gattis would be the ideal backup catcher. A backup, who can hit, and get away with defense at other positions (mainly the corners).

That's great for the 162 game season. Let Bethancourt start 125-135 games at catcher, Gattis start the other 27-37 games at catcher (maybe he is the personal catcher for one of the Braves starters?) this keeps Bethancourt fresh, gives you an injury backup in case something happens. And Gattis can still play a corner position in a pinch and be a bench bat.

That's the ideal situation if it was me. Although, I doubt Freddi thinks like this. I don't get the impression that he is a very bright manager in the first place, and I don't think he would ever make a platoon situation like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    Lol who knows, there might be a DH in both leagues by the time we have to really worry about this.
    My thoughts exactly!