Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NYR trade Ryan Callahan for Marty St. Louis

OMG! Huge trade!

vCash
    Hags, Kreider, St.Louis, and Mcd? Thats a lot of speed!!!

vCash
    I don't think we are done. But have no indication of what may be brewing, unfortunately.

vCash
    The Blueshirts traded Callahan, this year’s first-round pick, and a 2015 second-round pick to Tampa Bay in exchange for St. Louis, 38, and a conditional 2015 second-round draft pick.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1711389

I'm fine with this deal. Signing Cally to 6 years would have been a disaster contract. This may come down to Marty on a 1.5 year deal for a 2014 1st round pick with a swap of 2nds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    I don't think we are done. But have no indication of what may be brewing, unfortunately.
    So why do you think we have more coming?

I think I saw that Scott was waived. If that is John Scott I would not mind bringing him in.

vCash
    Not having Callahan signed at $6mm per for 6 years is a big relief.

vCash
    Not crazy about the picks being dealt. Especially since these drafts the next couple years are deep. Nevertheless, it's good to get something for Cally before he walks in FA. St. Louis is a stud and will help out a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Not having Callahan signed at $6mm per for 6 years is a big relief.

vCash
    The Rangers were close to re-signing captainRyan Callahan, but apparently not close enough, and probably not even thrilled with the best offer they had put forward for six years and more than $6 million.

So they consummated a deal for a player they had targeted for a while, a soon-to-be 39-year-old Martin St. Louis, who despite his size and age immediately becomes the Rangers’ best forward. St. Louis is signed for next season at a manageable cap hit of $5.625 million.

St. Louis was attempting to get to New York in time for tonight’s game against Toronto.

In addition to Callahan, the Rangers surrender a first-round pick in 2015 and a conditional second-rounder in 2014. If the Rangers reach the conference finals. If Tampa Bay re-signed Callahan, who is due to be an unrestricted free agent July 1, the Rangers get Tampa Bay’s second-rounder in 2015 and the Lightning gets the Rangers’ seventh-round pick in 2015.

St. Louis asked to be traded after Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman originally did not pick him to play on Team Canada in the Olympics (St. Louis eventually replaced injured Tampa teammate Steven Stamkos, but played sparingly). He also said he would only accept a trade to the Rangers, with his off-season home in nearby Greenwich, Conn.

St. Louis and former Lightning teammate Brad Richards worked out with other NHLers, including Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick, in Connecticut during the off-season. Richards and St. Louis, who won a Cup together with Tampa Bay, will be reunited, though it could be brief. Richards is very likely to be bought out after this season because of the hefty cap-recapture penalties that could cripple the Rangers when Richards retires.

The Rangers refused to negotiate a seven-year contract that Callahan originally sought, at a cost of more than $6.5M per, considering his injury history and the way he plays a big man’s game in a small body. Also his offensive numbers had been dropping. But when he dropped to six years, and to a lower salary number, the sides got closer. In the end, the Rangers felt they were better off not signing Callahan, and figured it would be much better to get something in return rather than let him walk away for nothing in July.

It is widely believed that Buffalo, near his hometown of Rochester, will be willing to go to seven years for Callahan in free agency.

Callahan participated in the Rangers’ morning skate today but refused to talk to reporters following the practice. Then, as the lockerroom was cleared, the trade news broke. His teammates, who expressed hope that Callahan would not be traded, appeared to be shocked and were not available for comment. Also, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, who normally addresses the media following a morning skate, chose to wait until after the deadline to do so.

I believe that Marc Staal will be the next Rangers captain, with Dan Girardi getting an “A” and, if Richards is indeed bought out, either St. Louis or Ryan McDonagh getting the other “A.”
    http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2014/0...gers+Report%29

vCash
    damn this is crazy haha. Had to trade him though, he just wanted too much. As for the draft picks we included, obviously I wish GS didn't have to add them but clearly we are looking at the "right now" and this year and next years draft pick aren't of top priority.

I still think we need two more pieces: A power LW who can score and forecheck and a big body who can handle some of the big guys on Bos, Phi, etc.

gotta keep going Glenn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Not crazy about the picks being dealt. Especially since these drafts the next couple years are deep. Nevertheless, it's good to get something for Cally before he walks in FA. St. Louis is a stud and will help out a lot.
    next years draft is not considered deep at all. The year after they say will be deep
    Last edited by nyr2002nyr; 03-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.

vCash
    also, who the hell is Boomer Esiasons source? He called both of our trades this season WEEKS in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    also, who the hell is Boomer Esiasons source? He called both of our trades this season WEEKS in advance.
    LOL Rangers front office will be trying to find out!

vCash
    Not crazy about the picks but there's no denying MSL quality.

vCash
    This better not be the last move, Glenn. Still have some work to do.

-What's the latest on Kesler? Not that I'm really focused on him, I just wanted to see if another report came out refuting the "he wont come to nyr" rumor.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast