Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What team will we most be like?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • LAL (quickly return to dominance)

0 0%
  • UTA (have some flashes of good years, but nothing like now)

1 50.00%
  • POR (fall into mediocrity with a few glimpses of the playoffs )

1 50.00%
  • None of the above as we will not miss a beat and just transition into a new powerhouse

0 0%

Thread: Post 2015

vCash

Post 2015

I know this is future thinking, but I was randomly processing what might happen after the 2014/2015 season. There is almost a whole generation of spurs fans have no comprehension of a losing season. There understanding of disappointment is losing in the first round of the playoffs. So I was thinking about what has happened to teams who have come off of great winning streaks. There is no guaruntee that we won't make the playoffs in 2015/16, but it seams more likely than not that we will have to experience some drop off. In the last 40 years, only 3 other teams have held winning streaks longer than 15 seasons (this year makes 17 for us): Portland ('83-'03), Utah ('84-'03), and LAL ('77-'93). And the longest total ever is 22 seasons, so more than likely we are looking at a bad season happening at some point over the next 5 year. With that said I am curious about what people think will realistically happen to us after we have a bad year. Each of the three teams had very different results.

The Lakers went 33-49, 9th in the conference, and missed the playoffs by 8 games. However, it didn't last long because they returned strongly the following year by finishing 48-34 and winning in the first round. They then go on to win a few games and a few championships over the next 10 years.

The Jazz went 42-40 and just missed the playoffs by 1 game. And while they did have a terrible season the next year, they were pretty quick in returning to strong form, even making the finals in 07. But that is definitely the highlight as they are back to being in very bad shape.

The Blazers went 41-41 falling right behind the Jazz for that 8th seed. But they continued to struggle as they didn't win more than 32 games the next three seasons and have yet to win a playoff series.

So what team do you think we will most resemble?

vCash
    I voted Utah, because I just don't know if we can recreate this magic but I do think we can get back to being a strong team that can compete in most playoffs.

There are two things going for us that portland did not have and I think we might have the edge on better players.
    1. Strong management. Go ahead and read the portland story during those years and you will see the craziness.
    2. Strong culture. This was the 'jail' blazer years where they couldn't dig themselves out of bad attitudes.

And there are two things that Lakers had that we just can't compete with.
    1. Not having a Kobe Bryant to build around.
    2. Not having the market power to attract free agents.

This doesn't even mention the fact that there is no guaruntee that we will still have Pop in 5 years. Look how the lakers have fared without Jackson (.514, 1 PO win) and the Jazz without Sloan (.458, no PO wins).

vCash
    I still think Spurs will try to plug-in players in the 2015 offseason: Replacing Timmy and Manu.

Timmy: Out of the guys available in 2015, all I see realistically is:
    -Al Jefferson -Kenneth Faried -Roy Hibbert
    Manu: His will be a lot harder to find
    -Monta Ellis -JJ Barea

Again, this would be replacing their roles, of-course not their leadership or legacy
    Top 10 Rappers Right Now
    1. Nas 2. Kendrick Lamar 3. Jay-Z 4. J Cole 5. Lupe Fiasco 6. Pusha-T 7. Kanye West 8. Eminem 9. Drake 10. Wale

Top 10 Rappers of all-time
    1. 2Pac 2. Nas 3. Rakim 4. Notorious B.I.G. 5. Jay-Z 6. Eminem 7. KRS-One 8. Public Enemy (Chuck D) 9. Common 10. Ice Cube

Follow me, @bharjan