Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is your view on Ted?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Favorable (top 5 GM)

11 61.11%
  • Favorable (Above average at least)

7 38.89%
  • Less Than Favorable (Below average at best)

0 0%
  • Very Unfavorable (He should be replaced)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Your Opinion On Ted Thompson?

It seems we're reverting back to the old guard again with tons of people really souring more and more on Thompson.

Just wanted to talk about it it more.

vCash
    He's a good GM. There's things I wish he'd handle more aggressively, sure. After the defensive debacle in 2011, it's been a very calm, stay the course type approach and the results have been very predictable. Other than that, it'd be nice to see him trade up to get a sure thing in the draft more often rather than always trading back, getting more camp bodies and just seeing what shakes out.

vCash
    Every fan base questions some of their GM's moves. TT is not perfect but i do think he is one of the best out there. Us fans never know what goes on behind closed doors so i try to withhold judgment. Letting Shields walk would piss me off but i do understand its part of the business and i will wait to see what he does to replace the departure of Shields (if he does in fact leave). It does seem like he has trouble draft players at certain positions.

Overall i am happy with TT even if i do question some of his moves.
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Every fan base questions some of their GM's moves. TT is not perfect but i do think he is one of the best out there. Us fans never know what goes on behind closed doors so i try to withhold judgment. Letting Shields walk would piss me off but i do understand its part of the business and i will wait to see what he does to replace the departure of Shields (if he does in fact leave). It does seem like he has trouble draft players at certain positions.

Overall i am happy with TT even if i do question some of his moves.
    Ohhhh I get it now. You're a little worried Shields is going to walk and it's like Ted doesn't care lol.

I wouldn't put a ton into those rumors my man. I thought you were joining the dark side for a while.

What positions would you say on that? DL I assume right.

I'm kind of curious. I might do a little research

vCash
    i beleive in TT
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I did very favorable. Not positive he's a top 5 GM, but he's probably in that 4-8 range. I still think he does a very good job of maintaining his vision. We've been decimated by injuries the last couple years, which doesn't help. I can't help but think if we were as healthy as Seattle was for their stretch run, that we could have snuck by San Fran and made it at least an interesting game if we would have gotten to Seattle.

Hard to argue with making the playoffs every year. It may not be ideal, but when you have an elite qb, if you can just qualify for the playoffs and being even fairly healthy, you always have a shot. Heck, if Micah Hyde catches the ball, we could easily be having a much different conversation. We may have made the Super Bowl, or maybe just lost in the NFC Championship or something, then we may be talking about what minor tweaks it takes to put us over the hump instead of what major changes need to be made. Not much the GM can do about catching that pass, but it makes a world of difference in how people view the GM.

To me, its all about perspective. As a GM, you have to put you team in position to be competitive year in and year out. Its up to the coaching staff to make sure players are prepared to make plays. Its up to the players to actually make those plays when the time comes. And sometime its about a little bit of luck in staying healthy, or having a ball bounce the right way or having the opposition make a critical, unforced error (like dropping an open pass or muffing a punt.) The GM can only do so much, yet all those things that are out of his hands reflect how good the GM is in people's minds. Its not necessarily fair, but he also gets the credit when things go well and is compensated pretty reasonably, so I don't really feel bad for him.

vCash
    Very good GM, but his downfall is having the youngest roster in the league year after year...lot of new bodies that have to gel together in a short period of time. Don't mortgage the salary cap, but bring in a savvy late 20's vet to tutor the young guns once in awhile. No, Frank Walker is not a savvy veteran, and neither is Anthony Hargrove.

vCash
    Just wish he'd use every resource available... (cough) free agency. Not go wild, just bring someone in once in a while who is competent and won't break the bank.

Still like him though, he's doing a good job.

vCash
    Playoff appearances since 2000 - 10 (most in NFC) (Not all TT teams but still)
    Made playoffs last 5 seasons (Only team in NFC)
    Super Bowl 3 4 seasons ago

I'm pretty happy

vCash
    I liked TT before you did!

My dad can beat up your dad too!
    Adopt a Packers
    SAM "Less than Tim Jennings the Nickel Corner" SHIELDS
    and Davante "I'm good at catching" Adams

Davante Adams

vCash
    Really doe, I'm very very very very happy with TT as our GM.

5 straight playoffs and a SB win, that's all you really need to look at.

I just stated this in the main but I'll say it here too. We just had a major injury to our QB that made him miss half the season.... The last time the Packers had to deal with that? uhhh like 25 years ago, AND we still made the playoffs.
    The same team doesn't win the SB every year, hell... The Packers have as many Playoff berths since 2000 as the rest of the NFC north combined.. I'm very happy with how TT has performed and I am actually happy looking to th future.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 03-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Adopt a Packers
    SAM "Less than Tim Jennings the Nickel Corner" SHIELDS
    and Davante "I'm good at catching" Adams

Davante Adams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Really doe, I'm very very very very happy with TT as our GM.

5 straight playoffs and a SB win, that's all you really need to look at.

I just stated this in the main but I'll say it here too. We just had a major injury to our QB that made him miss half the season.... The last time the Packers had to deal with that? uhhh like 25 years ago, AND we still made the playoffs.
    The same team doesn't win the SB every year, hell... The Packers have as many Playoff berths since 2000 as the rest of the NFC north combined.. I'm very happy with how TT has performed and I am actually happy looking to th future.
    I don't fully agree with what I'm about to say, but to play devils advocate, how much of that is qb?

The colts were a perennial playoff contender with Peyton. Brady makes the playoffs almost every season. Is that because the GM, or is that because the qb? Some people argue that a healthy, elite, HOF type qb is worth basically 7-8 wins every season as long as the team around him is even mediocre. Doesn't take a ton of extra talent to really grab another 2-3 wins, and put you consistently at 10ish wins, which is basically the playoffs.

Again, I'm more playing devils advocate here, but the more I think about it, the more I consider maybe the qb is worth more than I've given him credit for. And I'll give you that he did draft this qb (inherited Favre), so he deserves credit for that. But does one incredible draft pick give you a hall pass for life?

vCash
    I see what you're saying but in this sense TT drafted Rodgers, then made the decision to move on from Favre. Ever since playoffs since after that first year.

The main point is this team is nearly a TT drafted team, every year, and we continue to do well.

vCash
    I completely understand that, and to a degree, I'm pretty sure I agree with that too. But when you think about it, if the "great qb gets you 8 wins automatically" hypothesis is even somewhat true, then continuously making the playoffs is not quite all that its cracked up to be.

I'm not really sure exactly what I think. I like the way TT operates. The lack of FA spending can be frustrating at times, but it also doesn't tie us down and get us into a horrible financial crisis. We've definitely lost some guys, but we've also been able to keep and extend the guys that he truly thinks are core guys. I don't think I'd swap TT for very many GMs out there, but it also makes you wonder if that one great pick of Rodgers is making him look better than he should.

Its really hard to theorize on what might have been too. If you take Rodgers off this team, and give us a mediocre qb, we probably don't make the playoffs as often. But on the flip side too, we have more money and higher picks, so that may offset it too. Really tough to tell until it comes a time (and he may retire before then) that Rodgers is gone and he needs to work his magic from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Ohhhh I get it now. You're a little worried Shields is going to walk and it's like Ted doesn't care lol.

I wouldn't put a ton into those rumors my man. I thought you were joining the dark side for a while.

What positions would you say on that? DL I assume right.

I'm kind of curious. I might do a little research
    What do you mean?
    My 2014 Adopted Packer: Blow Job Raji

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast