Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How to fix the Islanders?

THings have gone from a total disaster, to a rebuild, to a young promising team, to a total disaster again. How do we fix this team so that next year we take big steps forward?

1. Fire Jack Capuano. He has never ha success at any pro level. He has no passion. There is no excuse for his players underachieving so mightily besides his incompetence. The special teams are abysmal, we can't hold leads, there are questionable line changes, and misuse of assets. He simply can't will this team to win, and doesn't have the technical ability to help this team succeed either. Replace him with a fiery, experience head coach who can bring this team to the next level.

2. Trade Vanek and MacDonald for whatever you can get. Vanek should be able to haul in a 1st round pick, a solid prospect, and another piece or two. MacDonald should be able to haul in a late 1st or 2nd and a prospect in my opinion.

3. Get a damn goalie for once. Miller is out of the question, as his limited NTC stated he would not accept a trade to the Isles, so he won't sign here. If you can't sign Halak or Hiller, then you need to go for a high potential tandem. Try to bring in a combo of Brian Elliot, Ray Emery, Anton Khudobin, Tim Thomas, Ilya Bryzgalov, etc. Also explore the trade route, maybe someone like Cam Ward will be available?

4. Reload offensively. JT, Okposo won't be enough. You can't expect guys like Bailey and Grabner to bounce back big time, but you need to keep them around. You have guys like Nielsen, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, and Martin who will be reliable in the bottom 6, but we don't know what we will get with Strome, Nelson, Lee, etc. You need to bring in a top line winger to replace what we've had in the past, and if you can't get Vanek or Gaborik, at least get one of Cammaleri, Michalek, Moulson, Hemsky, Vrbata, etc. Then you have toy bring in a guy for line 2, like Heatley, Setoguchi, Grabovski, etc.

5. Revamp defense. You can expect Lubo, Hamonic, Hickey, and De Haan back. I hope we don't plan on Strait being a part of this team as more than what Carkner is this year, a 7th man. That leave sue with 2 spots, one of which will go to Griffen Reinhart, the other of which should go to a free agent. Garth has no excuses. Last year on LI, he has to get this team's fans back on board. The UFA market is thin. You can get a guy like Markov, Boyle, or Robidas on a one year deal? That would be awesome, but the trade route makes more sense. It may be worth giving up assets for someone like PK Subban, or at least offering him a contract (RFA). He would cost a lot but given that he's an RFA and had some contract issues with MTL in the past, they may trade him. It would cost a hell of a lot. Ryan Pulock definitely would be going the other way, if not Reinhart, and a 1st round pick, and more. But it might be worth it.

This team needs a lot of work but its time to stop playing games and making sideways moves in the offseason. Time to UPGRADE, and get rid of the coach, and stop banking on young players stepping up when there's noe evidence they will. Next season starts in the next 48 hours when vane and Mac are dealt, Let's start it off right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Don't care anymore, will start caring again in Brooklyn or when Wang sells the team
    Last edited by KingsnQueens7; 03-03-2014 at 04:21 PM.

vCash
    You don't care but you still post on the Isles forum.

lol ok.

Being angry or bitter isn't gonna make you feel better. True fans support the team at its best and worst.If you want Wang gone or are dissatisfied with the current team, you obviously have opinions on what should happen. You can sulk and abandon the team or you can contribute to positive relevant discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    You don't care but you still post on the Isles forum.

lol ok.

Being angry or bitter isn't gonna make you feel better. True fans support the team at its best and worst.If you want Wang gone or are dissatisfied with the current team, you obviously have opinions on what should happen. You can sulk and abandon the team or you can contribute to positive relevant discussion.
    I'm just very mad and angry because we were supposed to build on last year

vCash
    Will they do it though.. I always feel like we r the same 3-4 moves away.. Spend money.. Get a new coach n goalie!!
    We got this!!!

vCash
    #snowmustgo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Don't care anymore, will start caring again in Brooklyn or when Wang sells the team
    So don't visit the forum?

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jgthegame1982 View Post
    Will they do it though.. I always feel like we r the same 3-4 moves away.. Spend money.. Get a new coach n goalie!!
    And they're moves that could be made but they rarely are with this team

vCash
    Moulson trade = 2 steps back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    I'm an Islanders fan. Sorry that you are OK with the state of this team and the moves made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    I'm an Islanders fan. Sorry that you are OK with the state of this team and the moves made.
    Wow, that is some twisted logic. Nowhere did I say I'm ok with this, so that doesn't make sense.

You said you don't care about the team and you'll start caring in BK or without Wang. So if you don't care, don't visit the forum. You obviously care if you're not ok with this as well, and visiting the forum.

vCash
    KNQ off-season fix list for the Islanders

() - We need a legit goaltender. Khudobin resigned with CAR, 2 years. Cross him off. I'm going all in for Halak, Miller, Hiller(if not resigned by the Ducks) or Brian Elliot. I want Halak because he is the best fit on the team, pray to god Buffalo doesn't resign him. Either resign Nabokov as a backup, or let him go and make Nilsson the backup. No to Kevin Poulin. We need a starting goaltender, enough is enough. We knew Nabokov was a backup at this stage in his career and Poulin and Nilsson are to young to be starters at this point.

() - We need a 1st line LW again. If the burn wasn't bridged with Moulson, negotiate with him, Heatley, Michalek, Gaborik, or Hemsky. They are the top tier wingers.

(?) - Tavares - Okposo
    Nelson - Nielsen - Grabner

Strome and Lee have been showing some chemistry... If your gonna question the 3rd line, Strome and Lee have been shredding it if not you can always bump Strome up for minutes on the 2nd line.

() - #3 or 4 d man. Andrei Markov is a UFA, Meszaros, Quincey, Orpik, Greene, Niskanen, they are the cream of the crop for the defense men this year. Hopefully money goes to at least 1 of these guys. We'll probably have Reinhart up next year so the pairings look like this -

CDH - Hamonic
    Visnovsky - Reinhart (if ready, or potential UFA) I like Matt Niskanen
    Hickey - Strait

Players that shouldn't be on the Islanders team next year -

Josh Bailey - averaging around 15 minutes on the ice this year and is invisible. 23 points in 59 GP, Strome, Lee, and Nelson have all shown more upside then Mr. Bailey. If they can play better, they deserve minutes on the 2nd and 3rd line. Not Josh Bailey. And no, it's not because I hate him. I don't hate anybody, he is just isn't playing up par with these younger kids. Send him down to Bridgeport because he needs to wake up. He's better then the level of play he has shown this year.

Colin McDonald - He is not the same Colin McDonald from last year. Look at these stats.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78560

Just terrible. I'd much rather give the kid Mike Halmo a chance on the 4th line with Martin and Cizikas. We're a young retooling team, so give the younger guys some playing time.

Our core 3 for next year...

Tavares, Okposo, and Maybe Travis Hamonic. Disappointed in Hamonic this year, thought he would take bigger strides. Guys only 23 though.

And most importantly - Snow must go, Wang must hang.

vCash
    I think adding a defenseman to upgrade on Strait or Hickey is necessary. Strait is a #7 defenseman, He is sound but shouldn't be playing every night.

Also, we need to fill in that 1st line LW. A dominant 1st line would be awesome, and I know we'll have one but I think a veteran who can put up 60-70 points like we had with PAP or Moulson is necessary.

LW-JT-KO
    Grabner-Strome-Nelson
    Bailey-Nielsen-Lee
    Martin-CC-Clutterbuck
    McDonald

That is my desired forward core and lines next year.

Also, most of all, we need a goalie. Poulin can be our backup, but we need a Hiller or Halak. if we can't sign either, we need to get a top 15 goalie via trade. Noe excuses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    I think adding a defenseman to upgrade on Strait or Hickey is necessary. Strait is a #7 defenseman, He is sound but shouldn't be playing every night.

Also, we need to fill in that 1st line LW. A dominant 1st line would be awesome, and I know we'll have one but I think a veteran who can put up 60-70 points like we had with PAP or Moulson is necessary.

LW-JT-KO
    Grabner-Strome-Nelson
    Bailey-Nielsen-Lee
    Martin-CC-Clutterbuck
    McDonald

That is my desired forward core and lines next year.

Also, most of all, we need a goalie. Poulin can be our backup, but we need a Hiller or Halak. if we can't sign either, we need to get a top 15 goalie via trade. Noe excuses
    Hickey has been very good and underrated this year as our #6

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=84695

Strait is a healthy scratch. And I'd prefer Nabby as the backup over Poulin really hope we go for Halak

vCash
    I certainly like Hickey. Wouldn't mind him as our #6 at all, Strait should be a #7, but with CDH, Donovan, Visnovsky, Hamonic, and hopefully Reinhart making the team, I don't know if this team even has a true top pairing defenseman, and without a coach that really knows how to work with that time of D corps, I don't see a big improvement in our own zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast