Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

2014 pre-season thread

Burns looking good so far. Imagine an A's player actually hitting for average and stealing a base to manufacture a run. They might be able to win a playoff series with that. Sadly, Beane went out and traded another first round draft pick for a useless role player in Gentry who will take up any 4th outfielder time that might be available. We all know Beane loves .240 Reddick. So, Beane has traded Weeks, Green and Choice, all first round picks. Ughhh....

vCash
    1st round picks do not always have to come up with the club to be a success. They can be used to acquire assets like we have. Weeks didn't have a spot on a team like this. Grant Green was puzzling but good value imo, and he also didn't have a position.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gokreidergo View Post
    Burns looking good so far. Imagine an A's player actually hitting for average and stealing a base to manufacture a run. They might be able to win a playoff series with that. Sadly, Beane went out and traded another first round draft pick for a useless role player in Gentry who will take up any 4th outfielder time that might be available. We all know Beane loves .240 Reddick. So, Beane has traded Weeks, Green and Choice, all first round picks. Ughhh....
    I don't think you realize the high bust rate of prospects. Weeks, Green, and Choice all have issues. Weeks is a below average fielder and can't hit mlb pitching. His frame is small, and so has very limited upside when it comes to power. Green might become an average to slightly above average hitter, but he has no position. He likely ends up a COF where his bat doesn't really fit. Choice has yet to really dominate in the upper minors. An .835 OPS in AAA isn't really anything special for an OF. Craig Gentry is a fine player. He's an excellent defender and hits lefties well. He's replacing what Chris Young was supposed to be for us last year, a solid right handed good fielding OF. He provides good depth and helps us win now.
    Last edited by Cheezombie; 03-02-2014 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    It's also kinda funny that you're so excited for Burns, yet if he develops well probably ends up a similar player to Gentry.

vCash
    I'm guessing gokreidergo was itsmillertime?

The only thing about the offseason moves that puzzled me was the Coco extension. Spending assets to acquire Gentry (and Burns to a lesser extent) but then blocking them from having a shot at CF for the foreseeable future is puzzling. It provides us with excellent depth to be sure, but I think Gentry could have provided similar if not greater value than Coco at a greatly reduced cost.

I'm not saying keeping them all is a bad move, it just might not be the most efficient use of assets. Did we really have to trade Choice to acquire a bench player? I know Choice has his warts with his power disappearing, but I wouldn't have made that trade knowing that the player I'm getting in return will only be used in the lesser half of a platoon.

vCash
    Thing is though, that his defense is so good that he's worth playing even against right handers. I mean he's produced 6.2 WAR over the past 2 seasons in just 556 PA. As we've seen over the years, injuries happen a lot. It's a good idea to have 4 good OFs just like it's a good idea to have 6 or 7 solid SP.
    Last edited by Cheezombie; 03-02-2014 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    And I think you might be right about the millertime thing. Both commented in A's and NY Giants forums alot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezombie View Post
    Thing is though, that his defense is so good that he's worth playing even against right handers. I mean he's produced 6.2 WAR over the past 2 seasons in just 556 PA. As we've seen over the years, injuries happen a lot. It's a good idea to have 4 good OFs just like it's a good idea to have 6 or 7 solid SP.
    That's why I'm saying the Coco extension doesn't make much sense. We could just play Gentry out there everyday and get as much if not more value from him as we could from Coco at a fraction of the cost. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad move because I agree that depth is important, but are we really the kind of team that can afford to pay a guy that much money when we have someone else who can do it for much cheaper?

Here's a couple alternate scenarios:

1 - Don't extend Crisp, let him walk after this year and have Gentry take over full time. Use the ~$11M/year to go towards signing a 2B/C or extending Lowrie who will be a FA after this year and have him shift over to 2B (assuming Russell is ready at SS).

2 - Extend Crisp, don't trade for Gentry. Use Choice as a package to trade for a 2B/C. You've been saying you wanted to trade for Castro, this could have been a good opportunity.

I'd prefer either of those, but who knows, maybe the A's already tried those and things didn't work out.
    Last edited by Stash; 03-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    I'm a big fan of the Lowrie/Russell tandem in 2015. We need to lock up Jed, because he was a top-5 hitting shortstop in the majors last year.

As for Choice and Bostick getting dealt, that was disappointing, but Gentry fits this 2014 Athletics ball club perfectly. It's kind of a win-now mode, let's be honest, because after 2015, our current assets are going to start to get nice deals through arbitration, or in the case of guys like Cespedes, will be free agents.

It's most likely a 2-year window for this club. A few guys are gone after this season possibly (Johnson, Gregerson, Lowrie) as well as after 2015. Time to bring championship #10 home!
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Another thing I'm interested to see is if Callaspo sticks at first base this spring. He makes a great utility infielder as he can hit, and plays decent (definitely not Sogard-esque) defense. I'd really like to get past the Sogard/Punto tandem at 2nd though. There's just a lot left to be desired there when it comes to the bat. Great backups, but not starting quality.

When it comes to catching, I feel D-No is in for a nice season. With Vogt as a quality backup, I think we are OK at catcher for the time being. John Jaso isn't the prototypical DH, but the man gets on base, so for that, he will make a perfect 6 or 7 in the lineup as he can spark the bottom of the order. Maybe after June, we can look into signing Morales to shore up the DH spot (as we would not have to give up a 1st round pick at that point)
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Jaso should be near the top of the order in front of the big boppers.

vCash
    Thing is, I just don't think the A's can bank on just signing someone during the offseason. I mean do you really see the A's outbidding anyone for said 2B, C? I don't mind the coco deal, it's low risk, just 2 years, not outrageously expensive. And if his offense is anywhere near what he did last year then it would be a fantastic deal.

vCash
    I put Jaso down in the order because I see it being Coco, Donnie, Jed, Moss, Cespy, and then everyone else in the lineup. I totally agree about Jaso being a good 2 hitter though.
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    I think LakersA's49ers is right they are going for it over the next few years. They can always offer Lowrie the qualifying offer and if he signs somewhere else we get a pick. They will have some extension money too, Johnson and Gregerson alone would be 13-14 million off the books. What I would love to see is by season's end Russell and Lowrie be the double play combo. I can handle Sogard, Callaspo, Punto until then. This team has a lot of detph and I certainly think Beane is capable of plugging in players via trade or other transactions.

On another note, Opening Day.... My seats are in 215 row 6.... LETS GO OAKLAND!!