Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Penguins trade rumors

Sutter, Pouliot and a first round pick for kesler
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    only trade we need is some heart and work ethic. Shero needs to send a plane over to sochi and bring are players back.
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    The Kesler rumors seemingly came out of nowhere. It'd be an interesting trade for sure, just not positive on what we would have to send the other way. One of the main things helping us, is that Kesler is apparently unhappy in Vancouver, which gives us a bit of leverage.

The main question I have, other than what package we would have to send them, is where he fits on this team. You obviously don't want to supplant Crosby or Malkin, but are we really getting the most out of Kesler on the 3rd line? I'm not a huge fan of Sutter's production, and think that Kesler would improve our faceoff percentage, as well as overall 3rd line production, but do you really bring him in to be 3rd line center? Obviously he could play on the PP and PK but seems like it would be a waste of talent. Idk, hard to say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    The Kesler rumors seemingly came out of nowhere. It'd be an interesting trade for sure, just not positive on what we would have to send the other way. One of the main things helping us, is that Kesler is apparently unhappy in Vancouver, which gives us a bit of leverage.

The main question I have, other than what package we would have to send them, is where he fits on this team. You obviously don't want to supplant Crosby or Malkin, but are we really getting the most out of Kesler on the 3rd line? I'm not a huge fan of Sutter's production, and think that Kesler would improve our faceoff percentage, as well as overall 3rd line production, but do you really bring him in to be 3rd line center? Obviously he could play on the PP and PK but seems like it would be a waste of talent. Idk, hard to say
    I feel the same way. Plus with the uncertainty of our defense going forward I think it would be a big mistake trading away Derek Pouloit.

vCash
    Kessler is a great player but I really think we are going to over pay for him, eventually we will be back in the days when we have no depth. Sutter has never replaced Staal, he hasn't been bad but has never formed into that shut down center that can play against the best lines the other teams. I am all for moving him to make the team better but I cannot see moving Pouliot or Domoulin and our 1st and third this coming year.

vCash
    Trading away our D prospects is definitely a risky move for the reason you said, our defense going forward is very uncertain. Both Orpik and Niskanen are FA after this season and Letang and Martin now have an injury history. I think we could still be okay going forward if we traded Pouloit but that's a fairly big if.

A team that might make more sense would be the Oilers. They are in need of defensive help, and while Pouloit wouldn't immediately address that, he could be ready next year. They are also a team that has a ton of skilled forwards, namely, Nail Yakupov and Ales Hemsky. Yakupov has fallen out of favor with the coaches it seems and Hemsky is kind of the odd man out with all of the younger guys. Just a thought

vCash
    I just read the that Vancouverer wants a top forward prospect in trade (Bennett) for example. We trade Bennett for Kesler I will not be very happy. The only way I even think about including Bennett is in a trade something like this.
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    Bennett has more value to us as a young winger. I know Kesler isn't old himself, but to lose a guy from a position of need, who also has a lighter cap hit, that one wouldn't make much sense.

Don't get me wrong, Kesler would be a boost for the team but considering the pieces that would have to be going the other way, we'd maximize our value going for a winger. I'd honestly be okay by simply bolstering the 3rd line. Glass - Sutter - ? just isn't getting it done

vCash
    Sutter is coming up for contract and from all I have read it looks like he is going to be asking for about 4 mill per year which is way too much for his lack of production, again I think he is a good player but he isn't bringing enough to the table. If I am Vancouver I see this as well and ask for all I can get on a deal. Bennett is a great player but is also injured 70% of the season and isn't really helping when it comes to our lineup. As much as I hate the scenario of watching another Naslund deal and seeing Bennett's true potential in a Vancouver uniform I think we have to make a move now rather than later.

vCash
    I said it last year, and I'll say it again this year:

Chris Stewart
    Right handed shot, which we lack, especially on the PP.
    Productive, can be at the top line or the 3rd line.
    BIG Frame, physical, also would be great to have on the PP.

Buffalo would accept a cheaper price than Kesler, and since he's a wing, no worries about which center is displaced, or if we overpay or not. He addresses more needs on the team than Kesler would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ldarius21 View Post
    Sutter is coming up for contract and from all I have read it looks like he is going to be asking for about 4 mill per year which is way too much for his lack of production, again I think he is a good player but he isn't bringing enough to the table. If I am Vancouver I see this as well and ask for all I can get on a deal. Bennett is a great player but is also injured 70% of the season and isn't really helping when it comes to our lineup. As much as I hate the scenario of watching another Naslund deal and seeing Bennett's true potential in a Vancouver uniform I think we have to make a move now rather than later.
    Sutter is an above average 3rd line center but like you said, his production, at this point at least, doesn't warrant 4M per year. While Bennett has been injured for a while, that's not enough reason to "give up" on him so early into his career. It's still hard to get a feel for what he is capable of because he is so young and hasn't played consistently, but is it that hard to envision him putting up, say, 30 goals a year on Sid's wing? Dupuis and Kunitz are both 34 years old, one of which is coming off of major knee surgery, and the other plays a very physical game. Sooner, rather than later, we are going to need a wing to replace one of them, and I think Bennett is that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelenda View Post
    I said it last year, and I'll say it again this year:

Chris Stewart
    Right handed shot, which we lack, especially on the PP.
    Productive, can be at the top line or the 3rd line.
    BIG Frame, physical, also would be great to have on the PP.

Buffalo would accept a cheaper price than Kesler, and since he's a wing, no worries about which center is displaced, or if we overpay or not. He addresses more needs on the team than Kesler would.
    Stewart is a guy that would look good in a Pens uniform. Adding to what I said above, about Bennett possibly filling in for Dupuis in the near future, all of what you just described would make Stewart a good replacement for Kunitz. With Buffalo in a complete rebuilding mode, I wonder if they would accept one of the D prospects and a pick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Stewart is a guy that would look good in a Pens uniform. Adding to what I said above, about Bennett possibly filling in for Dupuis in the near future, all of what you just described would make Stewart a good replacement for Kunitz. With Buffalo in a complete rebuilding mode, I wonder if they would accept one of the D prospects and a pick?
    Way better than a first, third, Sutter, and Doumalin/Despres for Kesler. Low round pick and Doumalin, maybe not even that much. Stewart wasn't flourishing in St. Louis, I think if he sees a change of scenery and Byslma's faster paced system, rather than Hitchcock's total ice responsibility system, he might pick up his work ethic and start playing to his power forward potential.

vCash
    just realized I never put anything down for a trade for Bennett in earlier post which was kinda my point trade him never.

Stewart would be awesome rumored that picks would get a deal done for him.

Sutter has not put up the points or turned into a shut down center true. not worth 4 million at all but he has not really had consistent wingers or wingers of the same quality that Staal had either, say what you want Cooke and Kennedy, they were great third line wingers that meshed awesome with Staal forming an amazing line. We also got Sutter plus in the trade for Staal so expecting him to be exactly what Staal was or is unfair. Pens should give Sutter 4 years starting at like 2.75 million and ending at 4.5 million. so maybe a 4 year deal at 2.75 year one, year two 3.25 , year 3 3.75, and year four 4.5 million. so four years at 14.25 million over 4 years maybe throw in a signing bonus of 5 hundred thousand if need be.
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    Bottom line unless MAF wakes up one morning soon with his confidence back and not allowing leaky goals we are in trouble no matter who we have come in/leave. I have been a long time supporter of MAF for years but have grown tired of his inability to stop an easy shot and then make a ridiculous save the next minute. Disco Dan's system needs a strong goalie, there were rumors leading up to the Miller to St Louis deal that the Penguins were checking into him. Luongo is a good goaltender who has been continuously slapped in the face by Vancouver management and would probably do much better with a change of scenery. The difference in pay would be 330k a year average but he has 7 years left on the contract. Do you think that moving Luongo and Kesler for Sutter, Depres and a 1st/prospect would do trick? Then you could use the other piece to get Stewart/Kumelin.

vCash
    no way to Luongo that contract is just way to bad. I say dump Dan first. I would say yes to Stewart and Kumelin though for sure. Broduer first option as back up goalie option.
    crap whats is my name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast