Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Old School Question of the Day: Who'd be better if LAL and BOS swapped Bird and Magic

What many people forget, is that when the Lakers drafted Magic Johnson, they already had a All-Star point guard in Norm Nixon, who was an excellent ball handler. Had the Lakers draft BIrd, they would have been able to make him a stretch four, pair him with Kareem, Worthy and Cooper, and let Nixon start at the point.

The Celtics, on the other hand, would have had Magic setting up plays to two legendary big men: McHale and Parish.

Which team would have been better, and would either have been better than the way they turned out?

And yes, this is a 'what if' question. So if you don't like 'what if' questions, don't post and we will assume by the absence of a comment on your part that you don't like 'what if' questions.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    lakers would have probably gone with Terry Cummings in 82 if they had bird.

just saying.

Nixon, Wilkes, Bird, Cummings, Old Kareem + Coop.

Vs Magic, Johnson,maxwell, Mchael, Parish+ Walton

iD be taking the celts in this scenario.

vCash

Old School Question of the Day: Who'd be better if LAL and BOS swapped Bird and Magic

This isn't possible.

Bird was drafted in 78. Magic was drafted in 79.

They couldn't have just swapped spots.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    This isn't possible.

Right. It also isn't possible because we they cant' go back in time. This is a 'what if'. We suspend disbelief an analyze how these two talent players would fit into different systems with different players.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    This isn't possible.

Right. It also isn't possible because we they cant' go back in time. This is a 'what if'. We suspend disbelief an analyze how these two talent players would fit into different systems with different players.
    I understand but this is too big of what if. It's not like we're saying they swapped picks. It's just pretty out there

vCash
    This would not have been possible because Magic only wanted to go play for the Lakers.

Here is the article to support that notion.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-...sp-83_1_lakers

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    This isn't possible.

Bird stayed in college a year after getting drafted - you could do that back then. He and Magic were NBA rookies the same year. The Celtics could have swapped the rights to Bird for the picks LA used on Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    This would not have been possible because Magic only wanted to go play for the Lakers.

Lol
    Youngest GM in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls:28060926

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.
    basically this. That's /thread

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Can players still pull this power play move today? If I don't get drafted by a specific team then I'll return to college?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DillyDill View Post
    Can players still pull this power play move today? If I don't get drafted by a specific team then I'll return to college?
    I believe once you're drafted you're no longer college eligible

vCash
    But according to the article Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school,"

vCash
    Red knew he had no shot at Bird the following year, so the year before with a pick around 6th or 7th, he drafted Bird. The only rule then was Bird had to sign within one year of being drafted or the Celts would lose Bird's rights. The NBA changed the rule shortly after.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Bird stayed in college a year after getting drafted - you could do that back then. He and Magic were NBA rookies the same year. The Celtics could have swapped the rights to Bird for the picks LA used on Magic.
    Assuming both would play hard (really do we expect any different?) I have to go with the Celts. Magics career lasted longer, and him, Parish, McHale would have held together thru '92-'93, Bird was basically toast after '88.

Of course KAJ, Nixon, Wilkes, Bird isn't too shabby either, it's just by '88 KAJ and Bird are both done.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....