Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Best Use of a First overall pick in league history

When I mean 'best use' I mean, gave his franchise the most value with that pick

The Braves got a great career out of Chipper Jones for example. That's better use than the M's got for A-Rod or Griffey for example, as both left the team......Griffey gave the M's more value, not only did he have a better career in Seattle, but he also brought them back value in a trade.

Who would you say was the best use of a first overall pick in league history?

vCash
    It's gotta be chipper, I don't think it's really a discussion. Mauer is the current one that comes to mind, David price maybe? I don't know any other currents.

Is chipper still projected to be the first, first overall pick to make the hall of fame?

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanconMadness View Post
    It's gotta be chipper, I don't think it's really a discussion. Mauer is the current one that comes to mind, David price maybe? I don't know any other currents.

Is chipper still projected to be the first, first overall pick to make the hall of fame?
    Griffey will get in before Chipper does.

A-Rod created the most WAR value, but that wasn't as a Mariner

Mauer is coming along nicely...Strawberry was beastin for awhile, but it ended poorly

A-Gone didn't create his value for the Marlins as they only ended up with Urbina for him.

vCash
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/

The best 3 picks ever are ARod, Griffey, and Chipper, no one else is anywhere close to those 3 in terms of career WAR. They are also the only 3 who are HoF'ers (minus the steroids for ARod). Since ARod and Griffey didn't play their entire careers with the Mariners it has to be Chipper. The one argument would be Griffey through marketing dollars, tickets sold, etc.

I didn't realize no 1st overall pick has made the HoF. I wonder how many times the player considered the best talent got passed over because of money.

vCash
    i'll go with jr. ,without him there wouldnt be a seattle mariners

vCash

Matt Bush!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    When I mean 'best use' I mean, gave his franchise the most value with that pick

The Braves got a great career out of Chipper Jones for example. That's better use than the M's got for A-Rod or Griffey for example, as both left the team......Griffey gave the M's more value, not only did he have a better career in Seattle, but he also brought them back value in a trade.

Who would you say was the best use of a first overall pick in league history?
    HANDS DOWN GRIFFEY AND THE MARINERS. He saved that team from moving to Miami.... Nobody can claim that. Safeco is the house that griffey built. That's by far the most value you can get from a player not to mention, oh yeah, he was ****in amazing!

vCash

Chipper

The Cult of Gattis

vCash

Bryce Harper is the next great #1 pick

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    For me, Griffey Jr.

Talk about value, guy practically saved the Mariners. Would there even be a ball club in Seattle today if he never existed?
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    50-48

G: 87 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 27| OBP: .326 | SLG: .320 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

vCash
    Griffey for me too. He is the best player in history for me. If not for injuries he would have crushed records. I'm near Vancouver and those Mariners team were hugely popular up here as well. Those teams and Larry Walker saved baseball in the Pacific Northwest.

vCash
    Phil Nevin's mom was my algebra teacher, she had enormous cans, that is all.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain
    Pitches Thrown: 239 Strikes: 145
    15.1 INN 9 K 4 BB
    1 W 1 L 0.59ERA
    Joe "The Bunter" Kelly

vCash
    Griffey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Griffey will get in before Chipper does.

A-Rod created the most WAR value, but that wasn't as a Mariner

Mauer is coming along nicely...Strawberry was beastin for awhile, but it ended poorly

A-Gone didn't create his value for the Marlins as they only ended up with Urbina for him.

Chipper will get in first, there's no obvious signs he used PEDs to get his numbers.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/

The best 3 picks ever are ARod, Griffey, and Chipper, no one else is anywhere close to those 3 in terms of career WAR. They are also the only 3 who are HoF'ers (minus the steroids for ARod). Since ARod and Griffey didn't play their entire careers with the Mariners it has to be Chipper. The one argument would be Griffey through marketing dollars, tickets sold, etc.

I didn't realize no 1st overall pick has made the HoF. I wonder how many times the player considered the best talent got passed over because of money.
    Justin Verlander got passed on by San Diego for that reason. Jered Weaver fell in that draft for the same reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast