Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 128
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,275
    vCash
    1500

    Bryan Colangelo admits he tried to tank in 2011-12 season

    The only reason we don't have Lillard right now is because of Casey.

    http://nba.si.com/2014/02/28/bryan-c...ptors-tanking/


    * title "Colangelo" is spelt wrong
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 02-28-2014 at 06:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    17,690
    vCash
    1500
    another example of why tanking doesnt work most of the time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    another example of why tanking doesnt work most of the time.
    He did get ross out of it so it did work, he's by far our best prospect. Collangelo was dumb though he should have hired a different coach who wasn't so desperate for wins that he was willing to through his franchise under a bus to win a pointless game.
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 02-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,185
    vCash
    1500
    Interesting read and I was struck with this specific quoted and bolded statement from that article...

    “Admittedly, I tried to tank a couple of years ago,” Colangelo said during Sloan’s basketball analytics panel. “I didn’t come out and say, ‘Coach you have to lose games.’ I wanted him to establish a winning tradition and culture, but I wanted him to do it in the framework of playing and developing young players.”
    Eerily similar of Masai's intentions.

    BC 2.0 lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,616
    vCash
    1500
    BC is just trying to land a new GM job. a few years ago you wouldn't think of admitting this but now it's something to include on your resume LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    1500
    If he was tanking for talent, why would he pick fit over BPA. So dumb.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    vCash
    1500
    I went to the MIT Analytics conference last year. The fact that Colangelo got invited as a speaker is pretty funny. Especially when the Raptors stats guys apparently loved the Rudy Gay trade.


    The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    I went to the MIT Analytics conference last year. The fact that Colangelo got invited as a speaker is pretty funny. Especially when the Raptors stats guys apparently loved the Rudy Gay trade.
    Really? Last year they reported that the Raptor front office was split over the trade. I can't imagine their stats guys loving the trade, since everyone at Sloan made fun of the trade last year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Really? Last year they reported that the Raptor front office was split over the trade. I can't imagine their stats guys loving the trade, since everyone at Sloan made fun of the trade last year.
    I mingled with a couple of people some of whom were involved in basketball analytics in different capacities after one of the events who said the Raptors quant guys really liked what Rudy brought especially in relation to what they gave up in the trade.


    The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    17,690
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post
    He did get ross out of it so it did work, he's by far our best prospect. Collangelo was dumb though he should have hired a different coach who wasn't so desperate for wins that he was willing to through his franchise under a bus to win a pointless game.
    no it didnt. you dont tank to land the 8th pick in the draft. thats ********. lose on purpose to land a project player not a corner stone ? if tanking is a good stradegy then make me the GM or even a monkey since any one can do it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Posts
    11,642
    vCash
    1500
    Well its not like he didnt make it obvious

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    I mingled with a couple of people some of whom were involved in basketball analytics in different capacities after one of the events who said the Raptors quant guys really liked what Rudy brought especially in relation to what they gave up in the trade.
    That's interesting because Rucker's statistical models/philosophies don't fit a player like Gay.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,185
    vCash
    1500
    Another related article...with some quotes from him not printed on the SI article.

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ptors/5908983/

    "Just one less loss (that season) would have put us in a coin toss for (the Portland Trail Blazers') Damian Lillard potentially (he was taken sixth), and that was a need that we had on our team that year, a point guard need," Colangelo said. "So it would have kind of taken us on a whole different route in this rebuilding process, and of course if we had lost a lot more games we would have had better odds to get (the New Orleans Pelicans') Anthony Davis, the big prize that year. We're looking at it, and it didn't work out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,185
    vCash
    1500
    Casey <---- lol

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,856
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    That's interesting because Rucker's statistical models/philosophies don't fit a player like Gay.
    I'm still wondering what statistical models he used that prompted Colangelo to give Landry Fields that contract.


    The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •