Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Browns release D'Qwell Jackson

BEREA, Ohio The Cleveland Browns on Wednesday announced that theyve released inside linebacker DQwell Jackson.

Jackson, a veteran out of Maryland, was originally selected by the Browns in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. In eight NFL seasons, he has played 97 games with 96 starts, compiling 891 career tackles, 11 sacks, eight interceptions, five forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

STATEMENT FROM GENERAL MANAGER RAY FARMER
    We had positive discussion with DQwell and his agent over the last several days, and we came to the mutual agreement to go in different directions. DQwell is the epitome of class, leadership and professionalism. Every day of his NFL career, DQwell has been a solid representative of the Browns and the City of Cleveland, both between the lines on Sundays and off the field in our area community. We want to thank him for his eight years of service and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.

STATEMENT FROM DQWELL JACKSON
    "To the people of Cleveland and Browns fans everywhere: Eight years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. Its been an honor playing in front of you.

I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches and staff for their tireless work and commitment. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me."
    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...a-cec344d97d78

Figured with how big of a presence he's been for our team in recent years this deserved it's own thread. Good luck DQ, hope to see you do well wherever you end up.

vCash
    DQ was a great player & leader much respect to our captain
    The most respected guy in locker room at that
    -Jason Pinkston

vCash
    I figured this was coming but I thought we would at least hear about some talks about potentially restructuring.

The Browns now do not have one starting caliber ILB on their team IMO. DQ had his flaws especially in the 3-4 but he was by far the best the Browns had.

vCash
    Mack

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take" Kevin Jones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carless Yen View Post
    Mack
    I'm not sure why you're assuming that's what the release of DQ means. Mack and DQ play different positions.

vCash
    Thanks 4 everything boss! True example of a pro! @DQ52 good luck with everything!! #madeMeABetterLeader
    -Joe Haden

It's your defense now, Joe.

Pleasure playing with you bruh @DQ52. You taught me so much about being a pro in this league. Constant leader on and off the field. Salute!
    -T.J. Ward

DQ is a leader of men. Gave me confidence when I had none and listened when I needed someone. Most underrated player in the NFL.
    -Jordan Cameron

I was only his teammate for 1 year but as a browns fan at heart I always was a fan of @DQ52 wherever I was. Best of luck going forward DQ!
    -Brian Hoyer

@DQ52 I appreciate everything you've taught me these past couple of years bro #definitionofaleader
    -John Hughes

A tremendous leader and one of the best teammates I have ever played with. Good luck to @DQ52
    -John Greco

Just heard the news @DQ52 thanks for being the perfect leader for rookies as well as the whole browns organization! You will be missed sir!
    -MarQueis Gray

@DQ52 I appreciate the wisdom u shared with me about being a man on & off the field.
    -Tori Gurley

DQ Jackson is one of the more under-appreciated LBs in the league. Congrats to the next team that's lucky enough to land him.
    I made some great friends during my time in Cleveland & DQ was right there at the top. Couldn't have asked for a better friend & teammate.
    -Scott Fujita

DQ was a leader on and off the field! Lead by example every single day. Thank you for everything! @DQ52
    -Craig Robertson

Much respect and love to @DQ52 for truly being someone i looked up to as a true pro and a great person! God bless and best wishes to you
    -Tashaun Gipson
    Last edited by Melo15; 02-26-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added quote

vCash
    Sad to see him go. Was one of my favorite players for years and a great leader. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brandon Spikes and/or C.J. Mosley coming this way!

vCash

vCash
    This now has left a huge hole at ILB position. I expect them to address this position in the draft

vCash
    one of the most underrated linebackers in the league...always played with passion

vCash
    I'm humbled by the support I've received today from my teammates & the Cleveland community. You guys will always have a place in my heart.
    -D'Qwell Jackson

Seven teams -1/4 of the NFL -reached out to D'Qwell Jackson following his release by Browns. Deciding which free-agent visits to take first
    -Jason La Canfora

That's not too surprising. Whoever is lucky enough to get DQ is going to be getting a great locker room presence. Hopefully he can go to a team that runs a 4-3 so he has a better shot at being productive.

vCash
    The revolving-door nature of NFL life should temper any emotional response to such an announcement, but hearing that the Browns released D’Qwell Jackson on Wednesday was enough to bring about more than a tinge of sadness.

Sure, it was understandable. At 30 and after eight NFL seasons and on a team that is introducing yet another new defensive scheme and looking to get younger and faster, Jackson was at the high end of the vulnerability scale. He was due to receive a sizeable roster bonus, so cutting Jackson now rather than making the inevitable move later gives him the opportunity to join another team.

Still, it isn’t easy to see him go.

Jackson was one of the fixtures in a Browns locker room that has undergone rampant turnover since he joined the team as a second-round draft pick in 2006.

As much as anything else, so many of us admired the man’s ability to survive the constant change around him. With each new coach, general manager, president, chief executive officer, and owner, Jackson managed to be a constant presence. You expected him to adapt and overcome.

He did so, first, with his talent and smarts and hustle. Jackson was the cornerstone of the Browns’ defense. He was the one who relayed the signal calls from the sidelines to the rest of the unit, and made the necessary adjustments based on what he saw across the line.

But Jackson did so much more. He might not have had the answers the Browns needed to avoid last year’s 4-12 finish or the other losing seasons of which he was a part in the past eight years. However, he knew the right things to say to his teammates and when to say them. As with any great leader, he didn’t operate in a vacuum. He paid attention to all that he saw and heard around him.

For instance, as the Browns, through a bizarre set of miscues, were in the process of giving up 31 second-quarter points on the day when their defense actually was performing well enough for the team to win at Cincinnati last November, Jackson searched for ways to reverse the wicked tailspin. As he explained to me afterwards, “My job during those times is to kind of look around and see what the temperament of the team is. If guys are kind of feeling sorry for themselves, it’s my job to keep that morale up and just talk our way out of it.”

Unfortunately, the Browns couldn’t talk their way out of a 41-20 loss to the Bengals. But Jackson did make a point of speaking up the next day in a team meeting, reminding everyone about importance of holding each other accountable.

Ray Farmer, the Browns’ new general manager, nailed it in a statement released by the team when he described Jackson as “epitome of class, leadership and professionalism.”

Jackson wasn’t just someone who served as an excellent ambassador for the Browns. He was someone who, after moving from Largo, Fla., via the University of Maryland, proudly represented Cleveland. He willingly gave back to the community and lovingly embraced the many fans who embraced him as one of their own.

The Browns will miss Jackson as a leader, but they have reason to believe that others, such as cornerback Joe Haden and offensive tackle Joe Thomas, can do their part to fill the void.

They also have created a clear vision that linebacker is a primary area of need to address in the draft and free agency. The college crop figures to offer a couple of very good ones in Alabama’s C.J. Mosley and Wisconsin’s Chris Borland.

But that’s something to discuss more thoroughly in the weeks and months ahead.

For now, it is time to say thanks to D’Qwell Jackson for being everything the Browns could have wanted in a player and a person.
    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...9-6c10237192ad

The Browns also made a tribute video for D'Qwell: http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media...b-2bd43901c37b

vCash
    Sad to see him go but the writing was on the wall. Hear they did talk but DQ thought he was worth a little more than the Browns FO did. I think he was trying to sell them on him being the leader of the defense as his key attribute instead of his actual play on the field the last two years which has declined especially in pass coverage as seen last year. The question now becomes what to do with ALL of this cap space. There should be no reason they don't re-sign Alex Mack now IMO unless he is asking for over 9 million, tag Ward if not re-sign him long-term and extend Haden. Should be interesting come FA time with this team as they are creating holes but should be able to fill them. Rubin might be next.

Also Khalil has nothing to do with DQ. If you think Mack should be playing ILB then you really don't know anything about the player and anything about football. You don't draft a player at #4 to move him to a position he has never played before with no tape and then eliminate his greatest attribute of explosiveness off the edge. But I guess since he is already IN THE HOF he can play anywhere. Khalil Mack for QB.

Sorry to see you go Wiggy. Should have went to FSU.