Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Old School Question of the Day: What if Houston had Jordan and Chicago had Hakeem?

In 1984 the Rockets, in the first lottery draft which featured the debut of David Stern, picked Hakeem over Jordan. In all fairness, that was the clear cut choice at the time and it paid off with 2 banners in Houston.

But what is Chicago had the first pick and grabbed Hakeem with Houston getting MJ? Assuming each stayed with the respective teams and other picks and trades kept the rosters similar, what do you think would have happened?

Houston: Jordan, Sampson and Lucas early on and later Jordan, Thorpe, Floyd, Horry, Smith Maxwell Cassell? Would the 86 Rockets have won it all? Or not even made the finals?

Chicago: Hakeem, Pippen, Grant and later Hakeem, Pippen Rodman, Harper and Kukoc? Would Hakeem have won more than Jordan? As much? Or less?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    What if girls had a penis and boys had a vagina?

vCash
    I have never seen someone try so hard to be elected a moderator on an online forum.
    Last edited by kozelkid; 02-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    I have never seen someone try so hard to be elected a moderator on an online forum.
    This. Lol

But I do enjoy these threads.

Pippen + Hakeem wins 3-4 titles in Chicago. Keep in mind Hakeem doesn't take a hiatus to go play baseball.

Jordan would be lucky to squeeze out one with the Houston teams. He just didn't have the overall impact at both ends Dream did to hold a lesser team together. Not to mention does Drex really go to Houston if Jordan is there?

vCash
    Butterfly effect. The drafts following '84 would have brought them different supporting casts since those drafts were catered to build around each guy. Who knows how those teams would have looked. Switching those two would of changed a lot not only for those two teams but others as well.

vCash
    Have you met shep33?

vCash
    Jordan will have probably butted heads with Sampson, and never met Phil.

Could have perfectly gone ringless but be the top scorer all time.

For me the real question is what would ahve happened if Blazers Accepted the deal Houston got them

Drexler for Sampson.

Basically, Houston woudl ahve had Drexler and Hakeem in their primes.
    And portland would have then Drafted Jordan and pair him with sampson, OR maybe even Draft Barkley and have a barkley+ sampson fc.
    Crazy as it sounds, if Bowie had fallen to the third pick bulls would ahve most probably picked him .

vCash
    Good thread, JJH. The funny thing is that after I kept reading these threads, I was totally going to post this exact same thread sometime this week.

It's a really great "what if?" especially when you throw in the issue of differences in past drafts and different personnel. The funny thing to me is that MJ would have made a lot of sense for Houston at the time, because they had just drafted a 7'4" Ralph Sampson a year prior. However, the city of Houston was in love with Dream and probably would have rioted had they not taken him.

But let's make a few assumptions here. First off, assume that Sampson's knees still fail him and that great 86 Rockets team still falls apart because of his knees and a cocaine problem among many of its players. Second, let's assume Hakeem does pair himself with Pippen, Grant and Rodman over the years. Finally, It doesn't make sense to pair Jordan with Maxwell and Drexler in the 90s, so let's say he gets players of equal value, but at different positions.

With Jordan's supporting cast, no way does Hakeem not win at least 3-4 titles in Chicago. Those defense with Hakeem, Pippen, Grant and/or Rodman would have been insanely stifling. Also, playing with Hakeem would have given Pippen more freedom from a scoring perspective. Olajuwon also would not have taken a sabbatical, and given how weak the East was some of those seasons, I think Chicago could have made as many Finals appearances as Jordan's Bulls did in the 90s, and with more postseason dominance comes more MVPs. We could very well be talking about Hakeem with 4-5 rings and 3-4 MVPs as arguably the GOAT today.

With Hakeem's supporting cast, I think Jordan would have gone through the same growing pains Hakeem did. It took Olajuwon until 93 to finally break out with a decent supporting cast, and he didn't get a legitimate No. 2 after Sampson's knees killed his career in the late 80s until Houston traded for Drexler in 94. However, no way does Jordan leave basketball for two years after his father's death if he hadn't just won three straight titles, which he does not accomplish if he's playing with a mediocre supporting cast in Houston. Once Jordan got paired with an elite No. 2, though, I think the Rockets would have definitely won some titles, especially if he gets Barkley in the late 90s. Jordan still probably gets 2-3 rings in Houston, but I think they would have happened later in his career after Barkley came aboard, sort of like a John Elway-esque ending to his career. But I don't know that it affects his number of MVPs, his all-time numbers probably would have been greater and I still think he would be viewed as the GOAT.

Two other things worth mentioning in this discussion are the rest of the league and societal changes. With a different team makeup, I wonder if another team might have broken out for a title here or there. Maybe the Zo/Hardaway Heat, Ewing's Knicks, Barkley's Suns or the Stockton/Malone Jazz pull off a title. As for societal changes, Jordan might not have been the global icon that he turned into. Maybe Air Jordans don't become a thing and Space Jam never happens. Instead of all kids growing up and wanting to be him, maybe kids model themselves after Hakeem instead and we have more elite bigs in the league today.

Sorry for such a long post, but this is something that has been bouncing around my head the last couple of weeks. I could write a novel on this idea alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    For me the real question is what would ahve happened if Blazers Accepted the deal Houston got them

Drexler for Sampson.

Basically, Houston woudl ahve had Drexler and Hakeem in their primes.
    And portland would have then Drafted Jordan and pair him with sampson, OR maybe even Draft Barkley and have a barkley+ sampson fc.
    Crazy as it sounds, if Bowie had fallen to the third pick bulls would ahve most probably picked him .
    Ugh... I try not to think about this, because it frustrates the hell out of me. Sampson had just come off a damn good rookie season, but the Rockets were inevitably going to take Hakeem with that pick. Why wouldn't you want to pair him with his college teammate, one of his best friends and one of the best young wings in the NBA? I understand the concept of wanting to have two 7-footers on both ends of the floor, but history has shown that you need balance in a starting lineup to win championships, and Houston's front office should have known better.

The Rockets would have won a hell of a lot more titles with a prime Hakeem and prime Drexler, especially if Portland had taken Jordan and had to deal with the fallout of Sampson's knees.

vCash
    Also, i was going to eventually post this old question.

Why does blazers get all the fire for their selección at number two and no one ever traces the thing back to the REAL screw up.

Wich was PACERS dealing THAT PICK some years before, for a Past his prime role player that retired the following year.

vCash
    Considering how dead the NBA Forum has become at least he's bringing life back to it a bit. Someone now needs to do the same for the comparisons forum.

vCash
    I predict all hell breaking loose in this thread if JB sees it. He and the Rockets fans are going to have it out

vCash
    Not sure about about Rockets but I could see Pippen never developing into a hall of famer and then the bulls losing to first the Pistons and then Knicks every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashcuff:28043502
    Considering how dead the NBA Forum has become at least he's bringing life back to it a bit. Someone now needs to do the same for the comparisons forum.
    I mean, I'm not complaining. They're certainly more thought provoking than the garbage that certain trolls have posted in the past. It's just very funny.

vCash
    JB hasn't been seen in a long time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast