Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

WR Metrics on 9 receivers

Some great info on Watkins, Evans, Lee, and Benjamin in the first link and more info on Beckham, Landry, Robinson, Matthews, and Cooks in the 2nd link using metrics based on their film.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...p-4-wr-metrics

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-wr-metrics-20

Really in-depth stuff. Tell me what you guys think of these prospects now after seeing the numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Some great info on Watkins, Evans, Lee, and Benjamin in the first link and more info on Beckham, Landry, Robinson, Matthews, and Cooks in the 2nd link using metrics based on their film.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...p-4-wr-metrics

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-wr-metrics-20

Really in-depth stuff. Tell me what you guys think of these prospects now after seeing the numbers.
    I think this is damning evidence against Watkins in how overrated he is as a WR. You cannot count on him running routes. He's athletic but there are players in this draft who equal that in Beckham and Cooks. I welcome anyone to point out what I'm missing on him as I seem to be the only one...anywhere. Please enlighten me. But for the sake of honest, good conversation, please refrain from the reflexive words like "well, some expert said...". The experts swung and missed on Gholston. Use your own words, thoughts, opinions and arguments - that's all I ever ask.
    I know a lot of posters here know football and a lot of us have played at some level. Make your own determinations based on what you see, not what you hear.

I contend that Watkins' YAC is skewed based on all the designed screens...they aren't true YAC IMO - more of a pitch and run. But that's just me.

Again, here's a telling stat - Watkins has 57% of his receptions from screens. And 10% at the other intervals - what does everyone see in him that separates him as somehow being great? What does he do that's so great? We can get a former RB from Oregon named Josh Huff who is a converted WR who can run screens just as well in the 4th round.

I recall being a lone voice against Gholston before he got drafted. Posters and media (and TBaum) wanted to believe in his athleticism but there were red flags no one wanted to see such as his tackles total which was woeful that suggested lack of hustle/desire, not to mention fans from OSU forums admitting that he was overrated. Also at that time, a few noted scouts claimed he was a 2nd round talent at best. The difference here is no that one has said this about Watkins. We'll see if this changes.

Watkins was the 2nd banana to Hopkins on his team last year who went late 1st round. What has Watkins done to ascend to such lofty status (top 5-10) in one season? He's essentially been a RB/screen guy. Has anyone watched his route running? I have. Feel free to take a look:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/sammy-watkins/

I continue to be mystified by everyone's reverence of this player when I see very little to be impressed with. Most of you are making him out to be the next AJ Green. He's not even close to that.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 02-25-2014 at 01:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I think this is damning evidence against Watkins in how overrated he is as a WR. You cannot count on him running routes. He's athletic but there are players in this draft who equal that in Beckham and Cooks. I welcome anyone to point out what I'm missing on him as I seem to be the only one...anywhere. Please enlighten me. But for the sake of honest, good conversation, please refrain from the reflexive words like "well, some expert said...". The experts swung and missed on Gholston. Use your own words, thoughts, opinions and arguments - that's all I ever ask.
    I know a lot of posters here know football and a lot of us have played at some level. Make your own determinations based on what you see, not what you hear.

I contend that Watkins' YAC is skewed based on all the designed screens...they aren't true YAC IMO - more of a pitch and run. But that's just me.

Again, here's a telling stat - Watkins has 57% of his receptions from screens. And 10% at the other intervals - what does everyone see in him that separates him as somehow being great? What does he do that's so great? We can get a former RB from Oregon named Josh Huff who is a converted WR who can run screens just as well in the 4th round.

I recall being a lone voice against Gholston before he got drafted. Posters and media (and TBaum) wanted to believe in his athleticism but there were red flags no one wanted to see such as his tackles total which was woeful that suggested lack of hustle/desire, not to mention fans from OSU forums admitting that he was overrated. Also at that time, a few noted scouts claimed he was a 2nd round talent at best. The difference here is no that one has said this about Watkins. We'll see if this changes.

Watkins was the 2nd banana to Hopkins on his team last year who went late 1st round. What has Watkins done to ascend to such lofty status (top 5-10) in one season? He's essentially been a RB/screen guy. Has anyone watched his route running? I have. Feel free to take a look:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/sammy-watkins/

I continue to be mystified by everyone's reverence of this player when I see very little to be impressed with. Most of you are making him out to be the next AJ Green. He's not even close to that.
    Let's hope that the GMs still think he's the number 1 receiver for the Jets sake. If they highly value him, the better the chance the Jets pick up an even better receiver
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Want Mike Evans
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    Yeah I've come around on Evans for sure. If he's there I think it's a no-brainer.

And JXD, while Watkins does run a ton of screens, he's just a monster after the catch. He's like a WR in a running back's body and runs like one as well. In the link, it says how Watkins still get a lot of yards after the catch on regular passes as well. His routes are solid but could improve further, and he'll be a 21 year old rookie.

He's got great upside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    Want Mike Evans
    Evans will NOT get past Baltimore. No chance. Pencil him in next to Torrey Smith with a re-signed Dennis Pitta. Ray Rice? I'm not so sure. But the Ravens will be relevant next year.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 02-25-2014 at 09:22 AM.

vCash
    Yeah I've come around on Evans for sure. If he's there I think it's a no-brainer.

And JXD, while Watkins does run a ton of screens, he's just a monster after the catch. He's like a WR in a running back's body and runs like one as well. In the link, it says how Watkins still get a lot of yards after the catch on regular passes as well. His routes are solid but could improve further, and he'll be a 21 year old rookie.

He's got great upside.
    Upside? Like Stephen Hill?
    I don't see how he's going to get the ball if he can't run routes. Lee certainly can. But this guy? I see that as a problem. He can't run screens every play in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    Upside? Like Stephen Hill?
    I don't see how he's going to get the ball if he can't run routes. Lee certainly can. But this guy? I see that as a problem. He can't run screens every play in the NFL.
    Oh God. I'm just going to stop conversing whenever someone brings up Hill in the future. Not to mention they are completely different players with completely different skillsets.

vCash
    Oh God. I'm just going to stop conversing whenever someone brings up Hill in the future. Not to mention they are completely different players with completely different skillsets.
    Watkins is still the best prospect in this draft and will be selected first off the board, make no mistake about that.

vCash
    I just found the perfect video that explains Lee's poor catching technique and why he drops so many passes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcCSU-sFRs

My God I really don't want him with our first. I see too many question marks with him.

vCash
    I just found the perfect video that explains Lee's poor catching technique and why he drops so many passes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcCSU-sFRs

My God I really don't want him with our first. I see too many question marks with him.
    He catches the ball like Santonio Holmes does, and some guys are able to make a living doing that. Would you rather see someone get their arms and hands extended instead of bringing the ball to their body? Absolutely. Doesn't mean Lee can't be a successful WR. I think we both just disagree on Lee but most other WRs we are on the same page.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    He catches the ball like Santonio Holmes does, and some guys are able to make a living doing that. Would you rather see someone get their arms and hands extended instead of bringing the ball to their body? Absolutely. Doesn't mean Lee can't be a successful WR. I think we both just disagree on Lee but most other WRs we are on the same page.
    That means he'll always be prone to dropping passes. I don't want a guy like that on my team.