Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets acknowledge potential Seattle match

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- A Mets insider acknowledged validity to an ESPNNewYork.com report about a potential match for the Mets in Seattle infielder Nick Franklin.

The source said there had been dialogue with Mariners officials at the winter meetings. The talk is expected to resume in the next month with Seattle having an excess infielder and the Mets having the type of young pitching Seattle desires to obtain in a swap.

The Mets likely would need to further debate whether they feel Franklin can handle full-time shortstop before pulling the trigger on any such deal. Whether the Mets would part with a prospect the caliber of, say, Rafael Montero also remains to be seen.

Franklin, who turns 23 on March 2, hit .225 with 12 homers, 45 RBIs and six steals in 369 at-bats as a rookie last season while appearing in 96 games at second base and three games at shortstop.

He now has been dislodged from second base in Seattle with the signing of Robinson Cano. And the Mariners already have a capable shortstop with Brad Miller.

Franklin has considerably more career minor-league appearances at shortstop (261) than second base (122).
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter
    This just got interesting.
    Last edited by Claymation; 02-24-2014 at 02:35 PM.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    He's not a SS. Mets fans will bully him by June 1.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    He's not a SS. Mets fans will bully him by June 1.
    Neither is Tejada.

If Franklin hits, they won't care.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Wouldn't give up Montero for Franklin. Miller perhaps but it would probably take more to get that deal done.

vCash
    Wouldn't be thrilled giving up Montero but if their stuck on him then I pull the trigger.

vCash
    I'd definitely try to get him. Franklin has a boat load of offensive talent.

Idk if I'd do Montero, but maybe DeGrom/Tapia or some combination of players could do it?

vCash
    Who has more value with their bat, Flores or Franklin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Flores (assuming he plays 2nd base at some point here). The Mariners have Kyle Seager though at 3rd and he's a solid player.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-24-2014 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Neither is Tejada..
    If he's the next Jeter, okay. But I fathom Tejada's glove is a might bit better than Franklin's.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Flores, and it's not even close at this point.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Career Minor league stats

Prospect A-.287/.360/.459/.819

Prospect B-.290/.331/.430/.762

I would say it is a lot closer than you think.

vCash
    Why do Mets fans care so much about defense at ShortStop? I get that it's nice to have but in our situation it is more than acceptable to sacrifice defense for a guy that can actually hit. Ray Ordonez, Tejada, Quintinilla, Ronny Cedeno...these guys all SUCK but play good to great defense. They still suck. Give me a guy who can hit.

Does Seattle even need more young pitching really? Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Walker, Ramirez...their rotation looks pretty set and talented. Never get too much I suppose but they can't be desperate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Flores, and it's not even close at this point.
    I think Franklin had pretty similar if not better numbers than Flores in the Minors. And he did better in their first big league stint than Flores, not that I put too much value into that.

vCash

#YesChant
    #oneatatime

vCash

I would hate to lose Montero, but deGrom and another lower level guy?

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast