Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Old School Question of the Day: 1982 Draft Did Lakers do Right Picking Worthy?

They had the 1st pick, Dominique Wilkins was in the class.

ITs arguable if Nique was better than worhty or not but whats true is him being a first option made him have a " better " career if we are paying attention to stats alone.
    Its arguable that since his peak lasted longer ( worhtys injury against pistons took a tall on him earlier).

Would Wilkins have fit better or worse with Magic and Kareem?
    Would they have they defeated the pistons both times?
    Could they have defeated the Bulls in 91 with prime Wilkins instead of Injured worhty?
    Would they have been worst because maybe wilkins wouldnt have Meshed so well out of ego?

What would have Worhty acomplished as the main man in Atlanta ( or Utah, cause they may have not traded the pick if they got worhty, or Clippers that may have taken worhty second instead of Cummings.).

Opinions.
    ]

vCash
    They should of taken Nique. Nique was definitely better and if he had played with the Lakers, he may have won more mvp's than magic, season and finals. But at the end of the Day LA was in a great position and they were going to be fine with whoever, Nique had the most to gain by being on LA

vCash
    of course Nique would have fit. Everyone fits with Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    tough question. Wilkins was the Melo of his time, but if you snatch away some of his usage, he may have been more effective possession by possession basis. Both had around the same offensive rating throughout their career, but obviously Atlanta used Nique a ton more for scoring, so his usage and shot attempts/makes were much higher.

I would lean Nique here, but not by a lot. Just because I have no idea what he would have done mentally in a diminished role. That being said, playing alongside Magic and winning chips helps anyones frame of mind if they feel they aren't getting their shots.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Passengers please stay in your seats. We will now be taking flight on every fast break for the next decade.

vCash
    I'm too young to comment on any of these players because I never saw either of them play, sounds like it was a win-win situation for us tho.
    #Tank Nation

Playin sorry for Jabari, Riggin for Wiggins, Recede for Embiid, Rest em for Exum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    Would Wilkins have fit better or worse with Magic and Kareem?
    i think about the same,they were pretty similar except the role each got...though 'nique i dunno if he would have handled the reduced role as well
    Would they have they defeated the pistons both times?
    probably not,the worthy effort in '88 i can see being duplicated by 'nique and in '89 scott and magic would still get injured
    Could they have defeated the Bulls in 91 with prime Wilkins instead of Injured worhty?
    doubtful,the finals werent close and wilkins wasnt great enough to swing it ,i mean hell the bulls had no trouble with him the next year
    Would they have been worst because maybe wilkins wouldnt have Meshed so well out of ego?
    i could see it,but really dont know

i think they made the right move taking worthy,one thing you have to factor in is that worthy was a much,much better big stage/playoff performer than 'nique(who would usually shrink in the post season)
    Last edited by abe_froman; 02-24-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I'm not sure Wilkens could have excelled as the third option. I think it would have been more like putting Iverson and Melo together than putting Aguire with Dumars and Thomas.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Two old school questions of the day in one day???

To answer the question, looking back Nique was the better choice, but the Lakers didn't do too bad picking Worthy. Probably wouldn't have won any more championships as a result.

vCash
    The Lakers didn't even consider Dominique (as much). I remember the debate being between Ralph Sampson (before deciding to go back to school) and Worthy.

vCash
    What's crazier is the Lakers landing the first pick because of that 1980 trade

vCash
    The one thing that really stuck out to me about Worthy was that come playoff time he went off. He was a playoff monster, good enough to win a finals MVP on a team with Scott at his best, Magic, and Kareem. That is no small task there.

I just don’t think the Lakers needed another guy who was great at dominating the ball and creating his own offense. I think a guy who shot a high percentage, had a nice baseline post game, and was able to be effective without dominating the ball was a perfect fit for them.

Honestly, their best use of the pick might have been had they gone after Clark Kellogg. Different situation he may not have hurt his knees.

vCash
    Worthy played some small ball 4, that was something Wilkens was not willing to do but if they would have built around him and Magic, I have no doubt it would have yielded more success. I have Wilkens ahead of Worthy in my rankings

vCash
    Would have been interesting to see, but it's hard to go against Big Game James. Dude stepped up like crazy come playoff time and knew how to take a backseat when necessary. Very hard to say indeed.