Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Vick to the jets?

“@RapSheet: Based on conversations this week, it’s clear the #Jets are viewed as a legitimate possible landing spot for #Eagles QB Michael Vick.”

vCash
    I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Absolutely not.

vCash
    Would be a great pick up IMO... I've floated this idea a few times over the last month or so.

There is a lot to like about this - Vick would bring a vet in to help push Geno as well as help him develop. The Jets play calling wouldn't have to change much depending on which QB happens to be in, as both Geno and Vick have a similar skill set (mobility, strong arm for the deep ball, etc.) and Vick already has experience with and has had success playing in Morningwig's system. Also, Vick isn't washed up - so if Geno were to flame out or get injured - Vick can still play a lengthy set of games and be very competitive.

I'm all on board with bringing Vick to NYC. He would be a better fit than most of the names I've heard floated out there.

vCash
    We don't need more QB controversy. If Vick is sitting on the bench, the first INT that Geno throws in 2014 will have certain media members/fans clamoring for Vick to come into the game...no thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    We don't need more QB controversy. If Vick is sitting on the bench, the first INT that Geno throws in 2014 will have certain media members/fans clamoring for Vick to come into the game...no thanks.
    The NY media does nothing but start controversy - doesn't matter at all and the Jets shouldn't be making decisions based on a fear of "controversy" - they should be getting the best players who happen to fit. We saw what happened with Sanchez never having a vet QB that could compete with him... he never grew into the role and I think his growth may have been stunted by the fact that he was completely "safe" as the #1 QB.

Sorry, but if Geno can't beat out Vick - then so be it! Don't give a d@mn what the NY media decides to drum up.

vCash
    It seems like the Jets are already giving up on Smith. I don't blame them either, the dude really sucked and really didn't show any big time skills. He doesn't have a cannon, he isn't a ridiculous athlete, and he definitely didn't show brains or leadership out there. Waste of a second rounder. My only thing with Vick is that we will probably be a .500 team again and we need to draft a stud Qb. It hurts us long term honestly.

BTW, if Logan Thomas is in the 5th round I would definitely take a flier. At least he has elite skills unlike Geno.

vCash
    Omg!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmagic87 View Post
    It seems like the Jets are already giving up on Smith. I don't blame them either, the dude really sucked and really didn't show any big time skills. He doesn't have a cannon, he isn't a ridiculous athlete, and he definitely didn't show brains or leadership out there. Waste of a second rounder. My only thing with Vick is that we will probably be a .500 team again and we need to draft a stud Qb. It hurts us long term honestly.

BTW, if Logan Thomas is in the 5th round I would definitely take a flier. At least he has elite skills unlike Geno.
    Everyone says he has a strong arm and he might not be the most agile but he ran a 40 faster than any QB in this year's class. Logan Thomas Elite? Skills? Right...

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYflightboy View Post
    Everyone says he has a strong arm and he might not be the most agile but he ran a 40 faster than any QB in this year's class. Logan Thomas Elite? Skills? Right...
    Elite skills in terms of arm and athleticism. Obviously he is a development QB. I didn't see a strong arm from Geno. It looked mediocre. Sure he can rip a pass or two but then again what QB can't? We play in a windy stadium, we need a guy with a laser IMO.

vCash

I would too, as a TE prospect.

The guy has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can't throw the ball or learn the QB position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I would too, as a TE prospect.

The guy has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can't throw the ball or learn the QB position.
    That is why from the reports I read scouts were amazed at how the ball exploded out of his hands right? Make no mistake this guy has a cannon and can throw it. Accuracy and decision making are the problems. All I am saying is take a flier if he is there which he probably won't be anyway.

vCash

What the hell are you talking about. Are you still pissed the Jets took Geno when they had Sanchez?

Let me address your assessment of Geno. First go read any scouting report on Geno. Or actually watch the games. It's clear that his "Arm Strength" and his "Athleticism" isn't the problem at all. He was actually one of the top deep ball throwers in the league this year. And you say Thomas has "elite skills". That might be the most questionable post I've ever read on this site. Thomas best position might be at TE. Yet he's better than a QB who was projected to be a high first round pick last year. Thanks for the laugh.

Bottom line, Vick is not the QB I would want the Jets to go after. Go after Matt Moore if he gets released or Shaun Hill, or Henne/Tarvaris Jackson. Not Vick who I'd only think would be a distraction. It makes sense with the Marty connection while he's still a good fit in a WCO, but I really would prefer someone else. Would be I extremely upset if we signed him, no, but I'd rather one of the other guys mentioned.

Get Geno some legit receivers and weapons. No Greg Salas, no Stephen Hill, no Clyde Gates, no David Nelson as a top 3 receiver. If we have some real offensive talent and Geno shows no progression, then there's a problem.

vCash
    I would love to draft Logan Thomas late and try and try to develop him as a QB. If everything works out, he's pushing for Geno's job in a few years. He has legitimate upside with his arm strength.

vCash
    Ha... OK, it's "crazy talk" to suggest the Jets are giving up on Geno and that he was terrible all season long. He was a rookie on a team with no legitimate WR's to throw to... and he certainly got a lot better the last month of the season after a rough patch in November. Geno was the 2nd highest rated passer in December and the Jets went 3-1 - with the only loss coming to a very strong Carolina team and the Jets gave them all they could handle in that game.

Rex states this perfectly - "Let’s just say this. When we look at him, there’s a couple of stats that jump out at me, that tell me Geno’s heading in the right direction. Number one, we closed out the last month winning three of four, and I believe the second-highest [ESPN QBR] rating in the league the last month of the season. And if you look at quarterbacks that led last-minute winning drives, only two quarterbacks had five game-winning drives to close out games. And that was Tom Brady and the second one was Geno Smith. So that’s encouraging to me.

What our overall situation is, let’s see what happens, how it plays out in the end. Certainly with Geno, the way he finished, he had some rough spots, but I like the way he finished."

http://thejetpress.com/2014/02/21/th...am-geno-smith/

As far as the subject at hand - while I can see why some would be wary to bring in a personality like Vick - let's try to remember what you need from a back-up QB: someone who can step in and still win games if the starter goes down.

Next year - for instance - say the Jets are 8-5 with 3 games to go and Geno were to go down for the season - who would you honestly like in there (that is available) over Vick? Sure guys like Moore or McCown could be fine as fill-in's for a week or two - but I'd want a player of Vick's skill level over any of the guys out there right now - especially if the Jets were in a situation where they looking at making the playoffs and a playoff run.

You get the best guy you can - don't worry about distractions or any of that media fed BS. It's still about winning as many games as possible and putting together the deepest and most skilled team you can. Who cares what the media says - the NY media is the worst and they are rarely right about anything anyway.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast