Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Old School Question of the Day: How would John Stockton's game translate today?

When it came to making passing, Stockton was the best I ever saw.
    When it came to shooting, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
    When it came to court vision, Stockton was the best point guard I ever saw.
    When it came to guarding the passing lanes, I've never seen a player better than Stockton.

That said, I'm not sure he would excel in today's game with today's player.

How do you think Stockton's game would translate into today's game? What would his numbers be like? His career is not so long ago, but the way in which teams run their offense has changed dramatically in a short time. Would be be a Nash that could defend? Or Calderon? And what current team could most use his talents?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I think he would be on Nash's prime level on the offensive end...on the defensive end i know he would still get steals i just think he would have some difficulty with the faster more athletic point guards on todays game

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theducksmuggler View Post
    I think he would be on Nash's prime level on the offensive end...on the defensive end i know he would still get steals i just think he would have some difficulty with the faster more athletic point guards on todays game
    There were some FAST guards back then too... Thomas, Tim Hardaway... trust me... these guys were explosive! There have always been quick guards. Stockton wasn't as 'athletic' or 'fast', but he knew how to position in front of a player and read them.

What teams do you think would improve with him? I'm thinking the Pistons could DESPERATELY use a guy like that. With Stockton in place of Jennings, I think the Pistons would be a championship calibre team.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I think we need to stop the idea that previous generation of NBA weren't athletic enough. Just look at the dunk contests then vs now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    I think we need to stop the idea that previous generation of NBA weren't athletic enough. Just look at the dunk contests then vs now.
    that doesn't mean anything imo i.e. I don't think dunk contests are a good indicator of how athletic a league is.

vCash
    He's the best PG of all-time IMO, I think the Nash with defense is an interesting comparison. His trash talking is also extremely underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

The division is going to be ran by the Sixers and Raptors in three years. Book it.

vCash
    What exactly about his game do you think makes it so he would not crush it in any offensive scheme?

vCash
    In this wide open, uptempo, pick and roll, spacing + 3 ball league we see today he would probably put up some of the most video-game like PG stats ever.

vCash
    He'd be better than Chris Paul so I'd say the # 1 PG in the game

she says go for the championship

Quote Originally Posted by Xsatyr View Post
    As a Rockets fan I hate the Warriors. I despise the Warriors more than any other team right now.

vCash
    The only difference between todays nba and the 90's is that today's nba has guys like westbrook, but even then there are only a couple of guys like that.

vCash
    he would be a 17/13/3/3 player today, and do it on awesome efficiency. Not sure why someone would think he wouldn't excel today. Obviously he would put a little meat on him in todays game, but that is the only difference I can think of. Oh, and not wear shorts so short we get a ball shot every time he drops into defensive stance.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    he'd be what he essentially is-steve nash with great defense

vCash
    yeah, I wonder if Stockton would have needed to score more (having Malone and co helps), if he would have been able to easily average in the 20's. He was a poor shooter when he first started, but quickly became an excellent three point shooter, though he never took many.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    jesus, Stockton missed 4 games in his first 13 seasons. 4. Then he missed 18 at age 35, and played another 5 seasons without missing a game. 22 games missed in 19 seasons. Out of 1526 games he was eligible to play in, he missed 22, and played 1504. That is seriously Iron Man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    yeah, I wonder if Stockton would have needed to score more (having Malone and co helps), if he would have been able to easily average in the 20's. He was a poor shooter when he first started, but quickly became an excellent three point shooter, though he never took many.
    that depends on whats around him,but still even though this is the "age of the scoring point" you still have guys that arent scoring heavy ,i'd say his scoring would still be around what his prime was ,say probably 17/18 ppg with about 10-12 apg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast