Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

There is increasing buzz that SF might have to decide between Harbaugh or their GM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC championship game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-getting-worse

Should be different thread, since this one is not browns related.

vCash

there is increasing buzz that SF might have to decide between Harbaugh or their GM

What the **** man. Whatever the deal is, handle this **** now rather than have this ******** linger.

vCash
    ^
    Yep

vCash
    Really isn't anything new, Harbaugh and Baalke are both alpha male A-type personalities, they clash but they are good for each other because there isn't one blindly following the other. This is just "new" because it's hitting national media, been known for awhile by those who follow the Niners beat writers.

vCash
    Pay the man! It's not like he hasn't earned it

vCash
    This story is getting more interesting by the moment
    He felt that one

Bye Bye Haters

KNICKS SEAHAWKS RANGERS MARINERS

vCash
    From the outside looking in..... I'd say if you have to choose between the two, I think it's Baalke, easily. Great GM.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash

there is increasing buzz that SF might have to decide between Harbaugh or their GM

^ Highly disagree. Not that he isn't a great GM, but I'd easily pick Harbaugh without a moments hesitation. Wouldn't even be close in my mind if it came down to one or another.

vCash
    San Fran will be the next "circus" team the networks will cover. Mark that down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shareeb_omac2 View Post
    San Fran will be the next "circus" team the networks will cover. Mark that down.
    I marked it down. Thank you.

Back to reality, I think the media enjoys creating a circus like environment. Like the National Enquirer. The fact Harbaugh and Baalke haven't got along has been known to SF fans for quite some time. Harbaugh is also trying to get a better contract. Do the math.

vCash
    You take the good coach every time and never think twice.

Our greatest glory is not in never failing. But rather in rising back up every time we do.

Find ya boi on twitter @MajorJensen33

vCash
    Love the turmoil.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller1 View Post
    Love the turmoil.
    Same
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Really isn't anything new, Harbaugh and Baalke are both alpha male A-type personalities, they clash but they are good for each other because there isn't one blindly following the other. This is just "new" because it's hitting national media, been known for awhile by those who follow the Niners beat writers.
    You knew all along that the 49ers will eventually have to pick between Harbaugh and Baalke?

vCash
    Parcells used to do this stuff all the time. He'd actually leave though.

For the record, I can't name a coach that had 100% GM duties AND won the Super Bowl. Many of them have been outright failures.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast