Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Pats do with the franchise tag?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it on Julian Edelman

0 0%
  • Use it on Aqib Talib

3 27.27%
  • Don't use it at all

8 72.73%
    vCash

What should the Pats do with the franchise tag?

Deadline is on March 3rd. Should they use it on Edelman, Talib, or just not use it at all?

vCash
    For sure not Edelman, that would be ridiculous.

Perhaps Talib. The Pats have needs at TE, DT, C, G, WR, DE, S - some you can get in the draft, some via FA or UDFA. But if they can't/don't sign Talib than it means a very expensive FA or a high pick has to be used, and CB can be added to that list until a body is found.

Better not to use it and get Talib for 4/$28M w/ $16M guaranteed - and I'd say that's under market.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I'm willing to tag Talib but I don't want him actually playing on the tender. A long term deal would result in a cap number significantly lower than the $11-12 million franchise tag tender. In my mock I posted earlier I gave Talib 5 years $45 million - top of the market CB money - and his year 1 cap number was only $7 mil. That's a major difference. It might make sense to tag Talib to remove the threat of someone offering a ridiculous deal. However, if you do that he might be inclined to just play out the huge one year deal and get that money, forcing you to carry him at a bigger number.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Tag talib while u work on a long term deal, this way you dont have other teams jacking up the price on talib.

vCash
    tagging talib feels very expensive to me. i am leaning towards do not use it.

vCash
    Put the franchise tag in a glass box that has a label on it stating break in case of emergency but not prior to 2015.

vCash
    Better not to use it and get Talib for 4/$28M w/ $16M guaranteed - and I'd say that's under market.
    We will do well if we could pull off that deal.

vCash
    As much as I like Talib I don't think he is worth a Tag neither do I feel JE is worth a tag. so I say don't use it this year.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' with the amount up to, and sometimes including, their life.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    U can use a tag while u negotiate a extension, this will prevent the other teams from jacking up the price on Talib, but we need to agree on an extension to prevent paying the cap hit of the franchise tag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'm willing to tag Talib but I don't want him actually playing on the tender. A long term deal would result in a cap number significantly lower than the $11-12 million franchise tag tender. In my mock I posted earlier I gave Talib 5 years $45 million - top of the market CB money - and his year 1 cap number was only $7 mil. That's a major difference. It might make sense to tag Talib to remove the threat of someone offering a ridiculous deal. However, if you do that he might be inclined to just play out the huge one year deal and get that money, forcing you to carry him at a bigger number.
    If his asking price is 9m per season and we tag him for 11m it kinda gives him leverage in negotiations.

Personally I want to see 3-5 year deal get done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    If his asking price is 9m per season and we tag him for 11m it kinda gives him leverage in negotiations.

Personally I want to see 3-5 year deal get done.
    Yup. Welker sat with his big number when he couldn't get a deal, and that was one of several reasons why he got shown the door last year.

Give him a deal for 4 years - but with a huge part of it snaps played (totals). If he's near the league lead in snaps, great, pay the man ~$10M a year, only plays 5 games? $3M.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    The deal will have to be incentive loaded deal for Talib not guarenteed money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Yup. Welker sat with his big number when he couldn't get a deal, and that was one of several reasons why he got shown the door last year.

Give him a deal for 4 years - but with a huge part of it snaps played (totals). If he's near the league lead in snaps, great, pay the man ~$10M a year, only plays 5 games? $3M.
    Yeah, and pay the man a big fat bonus if he can play the entire AFFCG