Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

Free Agency Thread

Clay could you merge the Sidney Rice and James Jones threads into this, that way we could add all FA and potential FAs in here as well.

vCash
    Why bother? Free agency has to do with the off-season.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Why bother? Free agency has to do with the off-season.
    And free agency includes Jets who need to be resigned thereby creating the need for a devoted topic thread which starts in 2.5 weeks and is far more relevant than the draft at this time. Imagine how your draft board would change should the Jets land two starting WR's and a starting TE. You can't realistically comprehend a mock draft until FA has concluded.
    Far more relevant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I saw this and I'd not only feel confidence for the first time in nearly a decade with our #2 QB, but assurance knowing that our backup knows their role. You won't get this with Schaub or Vick. I'd be happy to this signing.

vCash
    If we're going in for McCown, I hope we don't overpay

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    http://fansided.com/2014/02/23/nfl-r...-donald-brown/

NFL Rumors: New York Jets interested in signing Ben Tate, Donald Brown

While they’re easy to trash thanks to the brash way they carry themselves, the New York Jets are actually set up to have a nice offseason that sees them improve even further in 2014. After a season hat saw Rex Ryan save his job as head coach, the Jets will now look at free agency and the draft to help boost their roster and add talent.

One area that is surprisingly looked at as being upgraded is in the backfield. ESPNNewYork reports that the Jets are eyeing Houston Texans running back Ben Tate as well as Indianapolis Colts back Donald Brown in free agency.

This comes as a bit of a surprise, but I hear the New York Jets are exploring free-agent running backs — namely Donald Brown (Indianapolis Colts) and Ben Tate(Houston Texans). Obviously, their greatest needs are wide receiver and tight end, with running back thought to be a secure position with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. But general manager John Idzik is a big believer in competition and depth.
    If the Jets buy a free agent first, it’s likely going to be a wide receiver. Whoever the quarterback is next season will need targets lineup on the sides of him and not behind him.

It wouldn’t hue tot add depth in the backfield but Tate and Brown are considered upper-tier running back free agents and the Jets going after them is intriguing to say the least.

Ben Tate? Hell yeah, 25 years old avg 4.3 yards a carry last year (4.7 career) Just needs to stay healthy.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    http://fansided.com/2014/02/23/nfl-r...-donald-brown/

NFL Rumors: New York Jets interested in signing Ben Tate, Donald Brown

While they’re easy to trash thanks to the brash way they carry themselves, the New York Jets are actually set up to have a nice offseason that sees them improve even further in 2014. After a season hat saw Rex Ryan save his job as head coach, the Jets will now look at free agency and the draft to help boost their roster and add talent.

One area that is surprisingly looked at as being upgraded is in the backfield. ESPNNewYork reports that the Jets are eyeing Houston Texans running back Ben Tate as well as Indianapolis Colts back Donald Brown in free agency.

This comes as a bit of a surprise, but I hear the New York Jets are exploring free-agent running backs — namely Donald Brown (Indianapolis Colts) and Ben Tate(Houston Texans). Obviously, their greatest needs are wide receiver and tight end, with running back thought to be a secure position with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. But general manager John Idzik is a big believer in competition and depth.
    If the Jets buy a free agent first, it’s likely going to be a wide receiver. Whoever the quarterback is next season will need targets lineup on the sides of him and not behind him.

It wouldn’t hue tot add depth in the backfield but Tate and Brown are considered upper-tier running back free agents and the Jets going after them is intriguing to say the least.

Ben Tate? Hell yeah, 25 years old avg 4.3 yards a carry last year (4.7 career) Just needs to stay healthy.
    DAMN!!!!! Ben Tate???!!! Whoa, baby. That'd be an awesome tag team tandem to deal with. The Pats and fins would not look forward to seeing those guys coming at 'em.
    This is the benefits of having a little cap space.
    Donald Brown - is he really being mentioned in the same breath? He's got some outside speed but not the likes of Goodson, who I'd really like to see return.

vCash
    Yeah Tate would be an excellent addition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    It's a smart move to go after him. I think McCown would beat Geno in an open competition, and if he didn't at least Geno would be forced to improve quickly. Either way, it's a win-win situation for the Jets.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...nd-the-combine

Sunday notes: Heard around the combine

INDIANAPOLIS -- Notes and observations from the NFL scouting combine:

1. Backs to the wall: This comes as a bit of a surprise, but I hear the New York Jets are exploring free-agent running backs -- namely Donald Brown (Indianapolis Colts) and Ben Tate (Houston Texans). Obviously, their greatest needs are wide receiver and tight end, with running back thought to be a secure position with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. But general manager John Idzik is a big believer in competition and depth. It also could mean that the troubled Mike Goodson is on thin ice. The bad boy from last offseason has legal issues, a surgically repaired knee and an upcoming $650,000 roster bonus. Why would the Jets pay that for a player in Goodson's situation? Both Brown and Tate have above-average running skills and they can catch the ball, a much-needed skill in the Jets' backfield.

2. Money to burn: When free agency opens March 11, the Jets should have at least $22 million in salary-cap space (not counting the anticipated veteran purge), but that doesn't mean they'll be spending like Kim Kardashian in a designer clothing store. Idzik still believes in building through the draft. "The draft is your lifeline," he said. "Free agency is phone-a-friend." That said, the Jets are expected to use the phone a few times. The feeling in the organization is they will sign a No. 2 wide receiver, a tight end (if they lose Jeff Cumberland), a veteran backup quarterback, a running back and a kicker (if they lose Nick Folk). They're optimistic about their chances of re-signing tackle Austin Howard. Yes, they have a fairly lengthy shopping list, but I don't see them breaking the bank for anyone with an $8-million-a-year-type deal. They will use the draft to find a potential No. 1 receiver and a pass-catching tight end, along with plugging some holes on defense.

3. QB quest: The Jets met with at least two quarterbacks, LSU's Zach Mettenberger and Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo. The 6-5 Mettenberger, in the final stages of knee-surgery rehab, is an interesting prospect. Idzik, who scouted him in person during the season, is looking to add a developmental quarterback at some point in the draft. Mettenberger could be just that in the late rounds. I see the Jets going to training camp with Geno Smith, Matt Simms, a new veteran backup and a rookie.

4. Off the Mark: If the Jets decide they want to retain Mark Sanchez (unlikely), they will try to get him to swallow a massive pay cut. The amount of their proposal will tell Sanchez just how much they really want him. If they try to slash his base pay from $9 million to $1 million, it would be insulting, a strong indication he'd have no chance to unseat Smith. If they offer in the $3 million-to-$5 million range, with a chance to make more money with incentives, it would show they consider him a viable starting option.

4a. Butt fumble revisited: Former longtime GM and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian believes Sanchez has been unfairly stigmatized by the "butt fumble." "Unequivocally, the butt fumble wasn't his fault," Polian told me. "It's been played ad infinitum. The guard (Brandon Moore) got driven into him. Perception is often times reality, and that's what people think. If you ask the average person what they think of Mark Sanchez, they'd say the butt fumble. It wasn't his fault."

5. Legal tampering: The combine is the place where agents and teams meet to discuss free-agent deals. Technically, it's not allowed, but no one says anything. Curiously, a number of agents told me that teams are reluctant this year to discuss specific dollar amounts. It's likely that teams, concerned about having their offers shopped around, are waiting for the March 8-11 exclusive negotiating period to get serious.

6. Seen around Indy: Former Jets colleagues Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini lunched together. Despite the awkward parting in 2009 (actually, Woody Johnson was the driving force behind Mangini's ouster), Tannenbaum and Mangini have remained close friends. Mangini, named last week as the tight-ends coach of the San Francisco 49ers, is working his way up the ladder on the offensive side of the ball. If he makes it to coordinator some day, he'll have the rare offensive/defensive coordinator on his résumé.

6a. Seen around Indy II: Rex Ryan and twin brother, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, took a break from the combine to eat at a local Hooters restaurant. Naturally, they ended up on Twitter, posing in a picture with a group of Hooters' waitresses.

7. Give that man a pair of ear plugs: Former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's experience in a circus-type environment (the Jets, 2009-2012) should serve him well in his new job as the Cleveland Browns' coach. He got the job after 23 people turned it down (only a slight exaggeration), saw the two men that hired him get whacked (Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi) and was hit Friday with the news that the Browns reportedly came close to hiring San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh before turning to him. Pettine called the Harbaugh story "noise -- and my goal is to quiet the noise." He recently held a staff meeting in which he used a Power Point presentation to underscore the challenge before them -- two playoff appearances, one playoff win and 141 coaches since 1991. Said Pettine: "To turn around a franchise, you have to be extraordinary." Here's wishing him luck; he'll need it.

8. Best and worst: I thought Michael Sam handled himself extremely well Saturday in his first news conference since sharing he is gay. Facing perhaps the largest news conference in combine history, Sam was confident, yet not cocky, projecting the image of a young man who just wants to play football. On the other side of the news-conference spectrum was Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who fumbled his way through a Q & A that focused on the bullying scandal. He was all over the place, accepting responsibility in one breath but pleading ignorance in the next. How they fired longtime trainer Kevin O'Neill, portrayed in a negative light in the Wells report, was a low-class move. The Dolphins flew him to the combine and then fired him, two days before he was to receive an award in Indianapolis as the league's top trainer. He didn't attend the ceremony, but received a standing ovation when his prepared remarks were read to the crowd.

9. Respect for JC: It was interesting to hear offensive linemen talk about South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney, the possible No. 1 overall pick. Said Michigan tackle Michael Schofield: "I played a series against Clowney, and that was probably the hardest series of my life." Other linemen echoed similar sentiments. The Houston Texans, picking first, have a tough choice. They need a quarterback, but Clowney is the best talent in the draft.

10. Johnny Football speaks: Clearly, Johnny Manziel's mission at the combine was to shatter his image as a rock star-party boy quarterback. Asked to describe the difference between Johnny Football and Johnny Manziel, the former Texas A & M star shifted into third person. "Johnny Manziel is a guy ... I’m from a small town of Kerrville, Texas, 20,000 people. People make me out to be a big Hollywood guy, (I'm) really just still a small-town kid" -- who jets off to Vegas to party with the rich and famous.

I dunno JXD. Goodson is coming off of a pretty bad knee injury, plus we dunno if he is going to go to jail or not. I think we should move on from him and go all in for Tate. Ivory, Powell, and Tate? Three headed beast.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jet...nd-the-combine

Sunday notes: Heard around the combine

INDIANAPOLIS -- Notes and observations from the NFL scouting combine:

1. Backs to the wall: This comes as a bit of a surprise, but I hear the New York Jets are exploring free-agent running backs -- namely Donald Brown (Indianapolis Colts) and Ben Tate (Houston Texans). Obviously, their greatest needs are wide receiver and tight end, with running back thought to be a secure position with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. But general manager John Idzik is a big believer in competition and depth. It also could mean that the troubled Mike Goodson is on thin ice. The bad boy from last offseason has legal issues, a surgically repaired knee and an upcoming $650,000 roster bonus. Why would the Jets pay that for a player in Goodson's situation? Both Brown and Tate have above-average running skills and they can catch the ball, a much-needed skill in the Jets' backfield.

2. Money to burn: When free agency opens March 11, the Jets should have at least $22 million in salary-cap space (not counting the anticipated veteran purge), but that doesn't mean they'll be spending like Kim Kardashian in a designer clothing store. Idzik still believes in building through the draft. "The draft is your lifeline," he said. "Free agency is phone-a-friend." That said, the Jets are expected to use the phone a few times. The feeling in the organization is they will sign a No. 2 wide receiver, a tight end (if they lose Jeff Cumberland), a veteran backup quarterback, a running back and a kicker (if they lose Nick Folk). They're optimistic about their chances of re-signing tackle Austin Howard. Yes, they have a fairly lengthy shopping list, but I don't see them breaking the bank for anyone with an $8-million-a-year-type deal. They will use the draft to find a potential No. 1 receiver and a pass-catching tight end, along with plugging some holes on defense.

3. QB quest: The Jets met with at least two quarterbacks, LSU's Zach Mettenberger and Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo. The 6-5 Mettenberger, in the final stages of knee-surgery rehab, is an interesting prospect. Idzik, who scouted him in person during the season, is looking to add a developmental quarterback at some point in the draft. Mettenberger could be just that in the late rounds. I see the Jets going to training camp with Geno Smith, Matt Simms, a new veteran backup and a rookie.

4. Off the Mark: If the Jets decide they want to retain Mark Sanchez (unlikely), they will try to get him to swallow a massive pay cut. The amount of their proposal will tell Sanchez just how much they really want him. If they try to slash his base pay from $9 million to $1 million, it would be insulting, a strong indication he'd have no chance to unseat Smith. If they offer in the $3 million-to-$5 million range, with a chance to make more money with incentives, it would show they consider him a viable starting option.

4a. Butt fumble revisited: Former longtime GM and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian believes Sanchez has been unfairly stigmatized by the "butt fumble." "Unequivocally, the butt fumble wasn't his fault," Polian told me. "It's been played ad infinitum. The guard (Brandon Moore) got driven into him. Perception is often times reality, and that's what people think. If you ask the average person what they think of Mark Sanchez, they'd say the butt fumble. It wasn't his fault."

5. Legal tampering: The combine is the place where agents and teams meet to discuss free-agent deals. Technically, it's not allowed, but no one says anything. Curiously, a number of agents told me that teams are reluctant this year to discuss specific dollar amounts. It's likely that teams, concerned about having their offers shopped around, are waiting for the March 8-11 exclusive negotiating period to get serious.

6. Seen around Indy: Former Jets colleagues Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini lunched together. Despite the awkward parting in 2009 (actually, Woody Johnson was the driving force behind Mangini's ouster), Tannenbaum and Mangini have remained close friends. Mangini, named last week as the tight-ends coach of the San Francisco 49ers, is working his way up the ladder on the offensive side of the ball. If he makes it to coordinator some day, he'll have the rare offensive/defensive coordinator on his résumé.

6a. Seen around Indy II: Rex Ryan and twin brother, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, took a break from the combine to eat at a local Hooters restaurant. Naturally, they ended up on Twitter, posing in a picture with a group of Hooters' waitresses.

7. Give that man a pair of ear plugs: Former Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's experience in a circus-type environment (the Jets, 2009-2012) should serve him well in his new job as the Cleveland Browns' coach. He got the job after 23 people turned it down (only a slight exaggeration), saw the two men that hired him get whacked (Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi) and was hit Friday with the news that the Browns reportedly came close to hiring San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh before turning to him. Pettine called the Harbaugh story "noise -- and my goal is to quiet the noise." He recently held a staff meeting in which he used a Power Point presentation to underscore the challenge before them -- two playoff appearances, one playoff win and 141 coaches since 1991. Said Pettine: "To turn around a franchise, you have to be extraordinary." Here's wishing him luck; he'll need it.

8. Best and worst: I thought Michael Sam handled himself extremely well Saturday in his first news conference since sharing he is gay. Facing perhaps the largest news conference in combine history, Sam was confident, yet not cocky, projecting the image of a young man who just wants to play football. On the other side of the news-conference spectrum was Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who fumbled his way through a Q & A that focused on the bullying scandal. He was all over the place, accepting responsibility in one breath but pleading ignorance in the next. How they fired longtime trainer Kevin O'Neill, portrayed in a negative light in the Wells report, was a low-class move. The Dolphins flew him to the combine and then fired him, two days before he was to receive an award in Indianapolis as the league's top trainer. He didn't attend the ceremony, but received a standing ovation when his prepared remarks were read to the crowd.

9. Respect for JC: It was interesting to hear offensive linemen talk about South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney, the possible No. 1 overall pick. Said Michigan tackle Michael Schofield: "I played a series against Clowney, and that was probably the hardest series of my life." Other linemen echoed similar sentiments. The Houston Texans, picking first, have a tough choice. They need a quarterback, but Clowney is the best talent in the draft.

10. Johnny Football speaks: Clearly, Johnny Manziel's mission at the combine was to shatter his image as a rock star-party boy quarterback. Asked to describe the difference between Johnny Football and Johnny Manziel, the former Texas A & M star shifted into third person. "Johnny Manziel is a guy ... I’m from a small town of Kerrville, Texas, 20,000 people. People make me out to be a big Hollywood guy, (I'm) really just still a small-town kid" -- who jets off to Vegas to party with the rich and famous.

I dunno JXD. Goodson is coming off of a pretty bad knee injury, plus we dunno if he is going to go to jail or not. I think we should move on from him and go all in for Tate. Ivory, Powell, and Tate? Three headed beast.
    Tate is a similar runner to Ivory. What you'd miss with Goodson if he were cut is the outside speed. I have no idea what the Jets do with him. I have no reason to believe they won't keep him, but who knows? He'd be a valuable RB in our attack.

vCash
    I think McCluster is a guy we should consider. Can make big plays from the backfield or slot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna:28026065
    I think McCluster is a guy we should consider. Can make big plays from the backfield or slot
    I think Dri Archer in the draft would be a guy who could do that and be a lot cheaper (and possibly better) option than McCluster. He has experience out of the backfield and the slot at Kent State and could be the speed back and pass catcher in that role plus serve as a return man. I don't know what that 4.26 40 did to his stock but if he's a mid to late round pick he could be a steal. Definitely prefer him to McCluster.

Tate is intriguing, but he's more of a luxury item than a necessity. With so many necessities it will be interesting to see if he can fit in the budget.

vCash
    Don't we already have offseason and FA threads?
    Last edited by Realistik84; 02-23-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast