Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Forgotten Greats

I was just having a debate in another sports group about the top 5 greatest power forwards of All-Time, and if Dirk was top 5. I made my list of Duncan, Barkley, Malone, KG, and Bob Pettit with Dirk at number 6. Someone had previously listed Elvin Hayes and I gotta tell you....I forget about him way too much in lists of all-time greats. Possibly because the ABA-NBA stuff divided the great players in a good chunk of the 70's. I dunno. Anywhoo, there are just some guys who people tend to forget about. I feel like most point guards in the 90's not named Stockton or Payton are often overlooked (Mark Price, Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson, ect.). There are just some guys who fly under the radar for one reason or another. So who are some of the greats people tend to forget about? And who are some guys from this generation people might already overlook, and probably further overlook as time passes on?

vCash
    Bernard King. He was a ****ing beast and had he not suffered that horrible injury the knicks might of had 2-3 rings during his tenure as a knick.

vCash
    I don't like him too much, but Patrick Ewing definitely comes to mind. He was a great player, but was overshadowed mainly by the crazy Bulls teams during the 90s. If they aren't around, the Knicks might have a few recent rings.

Mcgrady seems like someone who we will eventually overlook. Allen Iverson too.

Steve Nash might be looked at in the future as that guy who robbed Shaq and Kobe in consecutive years of MVPs. Due to the two guys being looked at as top 5 or 10 players of all time, and Nash didn't only lose the best player in the league title, but the PG title as well (as Paul and Williams had come to form)
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

vCash
    whenever this topic gets brought up the name that comes to my mind first is chet walker

some others-bob lanier,jack sikma,gus johnson,spencer haywood,mark aguirre,alex english,wes unseld,walt bellamy,bob mcdoo,buck williams,lou hudson,marques johnson,bob petit,hal greer,i could go on and on with this one haha
    Last edited by abe_froman; 02-23-2014 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Ewing kind of stands out for me.. I don't see him getting forgotton. What about David Robinson though. Face of the franchise and elite guy, but gets overshadowed with Duncan's career.

Not seeing Moses Malone on that top 6 PF list has me thinking he's forgotten. 13 time all star, 3 time MVP, finals MVP... He grabbed more rebounds than Kareem, made more shots than Duncan, played in more games than Kidd, got to the line more than Kobe or Jordan, and scored more points than Shaq in his career. He retired 2nd in scoring, 3rd in boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slashsnake View Post

Not seeing Moses Malone on that top 6 PF list has me thinking he's forgotten. .
    moses wasnt there because he was a center,not a pf and dont really think he's forgotten at all as he's widely regarded as top 10 center

vCash
    Yeah I guess you are right some years with guys like Kunnert or Caldwell Jones he played more of a PF, but it was kind of like Duncan, where he was at the position more in name than anything. But it is kind of funny that his name doesn't come up more often.

But I think he'd be a lot closer to the bottom of that top ten. It seems like the centers of the 90's (Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson), all have carried on through the years a lot better than he did.

vCash
    Yeah I guess you are right some years with guys like Kunnert or Caldwell Jones he played more of a PF, but it was kind of like Duncan, where he was at the position more in name than anything. But it is kind of funny that his name doesn't come up more often.

But I think he'd be a lot closer to the bottom of that top ten. It seems like the centers of the 90's (Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson), all have carried on through the years a lot better than he did.
    i dunno about that,last time we did an all time list he came in at like 12th greatest player of all time

vCash

Nobody ever ranks Ewing above either of the Malones. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    i dunno about that,last time we did an all time list he came in at like 12th greatest player of all time
    We really need to do that list again. Created some great discussion last time.

Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    As far as the OP question goes:

Jerry West
    Frazier
    McHale
    Barkley
    DRob
    Baylor

Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Oh and Pettit.

Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    Nobody ever ranks Ewing above either of the Malones. Ever.
    Maybe not anyone who really really follows the game, but I would say Ewing has carried on much better as the OP said of not being forgotten by the average fan than Malone.
    Last edited by slashsnake; 02-23-2014 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    Maybe not anyone who really really follows the game, but I would say Ewing has carried on much better as the OP said of not being forgotten by the average fan than Malone.
    My bad misinterpreted what you were saying.

Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Some great replies so far!! Chet Walker is a guy I only recently discovered. Sikma is another guy who really is rarely talked about. Even with his beautiful perm.

One guy who is still active I think is already being forgotten is Shawn Marion. The guy is so unique, and he was awesome with the Suns. He also played a big role on that Mavs championship team.

As far as past guys go...Rick Barry, Nate Thurmond, Sidney Moncrief, Mo Cheeks, Dennis Johnson, Dave Cowens, Jerry Lucas, Hal Greer, Dolph Schayes, Artis Gilmore, Rolando Blackmon, Dan Issel, and Brad Daughery are some forgotten names.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast