Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Giants Sign OF Tyler Colvin

Welcome back Slumpy Shoulders!!

vCash

Giants Sign OF Tyler Colvin

Always liked Colvin but not sure what to expect from him. At least he has power.

vCash
    He hasn't shown too much power outside of Coors, but certainly has more power than anyone on our bench.

vCash
    I'm coo with this. Probably won't amount to much though.

vCash
    Really can't hurt to have him. Nice backup if someone gets injured

vCash
    With a little time on my hands this morning, I took a look at BA's Minor League Free Agents. Here's a list of guys I think Sabean should take a look at, after all, what could it hurt?

RP Jose Arredondo - has control issues, but maybe our guys could work with him
    SP Jason Bergman - has some experience, could add some SP depth (what's that?!?)
    SP Nick Blackburn - same as Bergman
    RP Simon Castro - pretty good fastball, never lived up to expectation
    3B Josh Fields - former 1st rd pick, good depth
    1B/OF/C Jake Fox - had a decent season in the bigs in '11, never really heard of since..
    OF Ben Francisco - not too exciting, but had a couple good seasons a few yrs back
    OF Stefan Gartrell - former USF Don, decent power, put together some solid seasons in minors
    RP Erik Hamren - former Padres reliever, those guys always come out of nowhere..
    SP Jair Jurrjens - I know he's been given a few chances; with such little depth, why not another?
    OF Fernando Martinez - former NYY prospect with a little bit of power
    SP James McDonald - another guy that never lived up to hype, but once again...SP depth
    SP Jeff Niemann - he's injured, but a guy that the Rays really liked (I can't believe he doesn't have a deal)
    OF Trent Oeltjen - was a good prospect many moons ago, might be worth a look..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    With a little time on my hands this morning, I took a look at BA's Minor League Free Agents. Here's a list of guys I think Sabean should take a look at, after all, what could it hurt?

SP Jason Bergman - has some experience, could add some SP depth (what's that?!?)
    1B/OF/C Jake Fox - had a decent season in the bigs in '11, never really heard of since..
    OF Ben Francisco - not too exciting, but had a couple good seasons a few yrs back
    OF Stefan Gartrell - former USF Don, decent power, put together some solid seasons in minors
    RP Erik Hamren - former Padres reliever, those guys always come out of nowhere..
    SP Jair Jurrjens - I know he's been given a few chances; with such little depth, why not another?
    SP James McDonald - another guy that never lived up to hype, but once again...SP depth
    SP Jeff Niemann - he's injured, but a guy that the Rays really liked (I can't believe he doesn't have a deal)
    I know and played baseball with his brother. We all went to the same high school. Yup. That's my only claim to knowing someone famous, if you can call him that.

Of those guys I would really like to add McDonald, Niemann, Jurrjens, and Arredondo. Even Gartrell too.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 02-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    Not willing to take a chance on Fields, Fox or Oeltjen?

vCash
    I can get behind this signing! I, too, would have preferred a RH bat but Colvin can play all three OF position plus 1B. He has power and with that, he should be the favorite for the 5th OFer spot.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    It will probably work better than last years' Torres signing. Actually excited about this signing.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Yes, if Colvin can make the 5th OF spot I would be fine with that based on the fact that no one on our bench can hit the ball over an outfielder's head.

Sitting On Top of the Pedestal!!!!
    TEAMS: SF GIANTS/GS WARRIORS/NL ARSENAL/SF NINERS/ HI WARRIORS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    It will probably work better than last years' Torres signing. Actually excited about this signing.
    Colvin > Torres/Abreu

Sitting On Top of the Pedestal!!!!
    TEAMS: SF GIANTS/GS WARRIORS/NL ARSENAL/SF NINERS/ HI WARRIORS

vCash
    Well, he's better than Morse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post

Only guy with decent upside on that list is Niemann and he is probably waiting till he is healthy to get a better deal.