Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Doug Baldwin EPIC Rant about NFL Analysts

Doug Baldwin on Twitter - Imma go on a lil rant real quick. The more I sit back and observe everything that has to do with the NFL the more I realize it’s just an entertainment business. I was so caught up in trying to make football at this level purely football. But when I look around me, it’s nothing, NOTHING but a business. Understandably so. But I want to inform you, the fans. Don’t be sucked in to ESPN, NFL Network and all these money making media outlets. Their singular purpose is to entertain you. Make you think something is important when it really isn’t.

It’s not for news, it’s for ratings. They want you to be sucked into their opinions. Why? That pushes their brand and eventually makes them money at some level. I’m asking you, the fans, to be informed. Do your own thinking. They will say a guy is too short to play QB… he’ll win a SuperBowl. They will say he’s too small to play linebacker. He’ll make an interception for a touchdown in this biggest stage the game has to offer. They will say he is too tall to play corner, not quick enough, not smart enough… and become the best corner in the game. They will say he can’t because of this, he can’t because of that… and they will continue to be wrong… Why? Because they are human. They want to look at the 40. The shuttle. They broad jump. The vertical jump. All of these measurables. But they will continue to miss.

Why? Because you can not measure the Heart, Passion and Relentlessness to be great that someone has deep down in their soul. So while these pundits and so-called expert analyst fill the air with their irrelevant jargon, realize they are talking about PEOPLE. Realize these people are not just items to be shown off at the combine to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Didn’t think about that Because at the end of the day, the players are all expendable.

The only thing that matters to the NFL is the brand of NFL. So don’t get mad when players are deemed ‘selfish’ or ‘not about the team.’ They wouldn’t be at this level if that was the case.In a business that is geared to protecting itself, how could you blame the players who put their bodies on the line for doing the same? Just remember that. 100.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2...l-twitter-rant
    Granted I know this could of been posted in our own forum but this was just so passionate I figured NFL fans would want to read it as well.
    Last edited by TeamSeattle; 02-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    He felt that one

Bye Bye Haters

KNICKS SEAHAWKS RANGERS MARINERS

vCash
    Doug Baldwin is always good for some very informative rants on Twitter. Anti-consumerism and such.... I love following him.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Bashing the media is one of my favorite pastimes.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    This is an odd thing for him to post. I thought he was looking into going into media once his NFL career is done, especially because of his fresh files he puts on youtube. But this post doesn't open any doors for him. As a matter of fact I think I heard some doors shutting as I read that post of his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kpak76 View Post
    This is an odd thing for him to post. I thought he was looking into going into media once his NFL career is done, especially because of his fresh files he puts on youtube. But this post doesn't open any doors for him. As a matter of fact I think I heard some doors shutting as I read that post of his.
    Why would you think he'd go into the media after this? If anything, it's Michael Robinson or Richard Sherman.

Doug graduated with a degree in Science, Technology and Society. You couldn't be further from what he will end up doing after football.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    I am happy that you posted this.

He is obviously spot on with every single that he said and I appreciated the post.

Doug Baldwin is a G.

vCash
    He made some great points. Being on a site like this, you will realize that many posters live by every word the sports analysts say. The guys on ESPN and NFL network think for them. Many posters are unable to think for themselves or contemplate the fact that the GM's and owners draft guys that aren't where Kiper jr. or Mayock projected them to be picked. If you don't agree with what the guys on ESPN or NFL network said, you're a dumbass.

Doug is a smart guy. While ESPN is the poster child of the points he made, their not the only network that fits the mold.

vCash
    Really T.V. is a quest for ratings? I never knew that

vCash
    Kind of funny..

I get his point, but I wonder if he would put his money where his mouth is. Would he take a 100% cut in salary to get the media out of the other parts of the game and just play it for the love of the game? Turn the combine and draft and post-game analysis off, send the media away and play it for fun and not let the league reap the financial rewards of that?

The funny thing is nobody knows for sure with a draft. We are talking about a sport where the top .1% of those who play it are HOF bound, but the top .2-.1% are complete busts. A sport where an interview question was the difference between Peyton and Leaf, and we are looking at one of the best vs. one of the worst.

Yeah, I will listen to Kiper and Gruden and such. Everyone does. I haven't spent 10 hours breaking down game tape on the right guard from Iowa State. I know those guys aren't perfect, but if they think he has the skill set to succeed, I will defer to their judgement most of the time. Kiper used to sell his scouting reports to NFL GM's. Gruden has had a lot more success with average QB's than I have.

I can watch an NFL QB play an NFL offense against NFL caliber defenses for 16 games and still be way off on him. I don't know how you could expect a better result from watching a college one play about a dozen decent college teams in his career in a non-NFL offense. What do you expect them to do? Show up and say who knows?

There is no way you could sit there and give me all the college games and I could pick 20+ of the 32 1st rounders from that. Look at everyone else's mocks. Move a guy up from Kipers list for a great game or two. Move one down because of his scheme. Call it a new mock. But its all just adjusting what these guys came up with. Nobody goes out there and cuts 3/4 of Kipers top 30 guys and replaces them with their own.

When he says "their singular purpose is to entertain you".. Yeah, isn't that the point of the NFL.

" the more I realize it’s just an entertainment business." No offense to Mr. Baldwin, but his singular purpose is to entertain me as well. That is the sport. If he want's to play football just to play football there's a million rec leagues out there where he can play the game to play the game rather than deal with fans and the entertainment factor.

I get his point about realizing these guys are people, and why players should make the decision best for them. There is no issue there, which seems to be his main point.

And I like that those guys stick to their guns, I don't want them to be wishy washy. I loved seeing Gruden and Kiper argue over Russell Wilson, knowing one of them would be dead wrong on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    Really T.V. is a quest for ratings? I never knew that
    this...

he's bashed the media/Cris Carter several times since the NFCCG and it just seems like he's butthurt at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slashsnake View Post
    Kind of funny..

I get his point, but I wonder if he would put his money where his mouth is. Would he take a 100% cut in salary to get the media out of the other parts of the game and just play it for the love of the game? Turn the combine and draft and post-game analysis off, send the media away and play it for fun and not let the league reap the financial rewards of that?

The funny thing is nobody knows for sure with a draft. We are talking about a sport where the top .1% of those who play it are HOF bound, but the top .2-.1% are complete busts. A sport where an interview question was the difference between Peyton and Leaf, and we are looking at one of the best vs. one of the worst.

Yeah, I will listen to Kiper and Gruden and such. Everyone does. I haven't spent 10 hours breaking down game tape on the right guard from Iowa State. I know those guys aren't perfect, but if they think he has the skill set to succeed, I will defer to their judgement most of the time. Kiper used to sell his scouting reports to NFL GM's. Gruden has had a lot more success with average QB's than I have.

I can watch an NFL QB play an NFL offense against NFL caliber defenses for 16 games and still be way off on him. I don't know how you could expect a better result from watching a college one play about a dozen decent college teams in his career in a non-NFL offense. What do you expect them to do? Show up and say who knows?

There is no way you could sit there and give me all the college games and I could pick 20+ of the 32 1st rounders from that. Look at everyone else's mocks. Move a guy up from Kipers list for a great game or two. Move one down because of his scheme. Call it a new mock. But its all just adjusting what these guys came up with. Nobody goes out there and cuts 3/4 of Kipers top 30 guys and replaces them with their own.

When he says "their singular purpose is to entertain you".. Yeah, isn't that the point of the NFL.

" the more I realize it’s just an entertainment business." No offense to Mr. Baldwin, but his singular purpose is to entertain me as well. That is the sport. If he want's to play football just to play football there's a million rec leagues out there where he can play the game to play the game rather than deal with fans and the entertainment factor.

I get his point about realizing these guys are people, and why players should make the decision best for them. There is no issue there, which seems to be his main point.

And I like that those guys stick to their guns, I don't want them to be wishy washy. I loved seeing Gruden and Kiper argue over Russell Wilson, knowing one of them would be dead wrong on that.
    Its easy to aay "would he put his money where his mouth is", but that's unrealistic, and honestly ridiculous.

How would he support himself? What happens later in life when he had a mental disorder and no money to live off/pay medical bills?

A side job isn't really an option, to have the skills and athleticism to stay in the nfl is more than a full time job by itself

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    Its easy to aay "would he put his money where his mouth is", but that's unrealistic, and honestly ridiculous.

How would he support himself? What happens later in life when he had a mental disorder and no money to live off/pay medical bills?

A side job isn't really an option, to have the skills and athleticism to stay in the nfl is more than a full time job by itself
    It is ridiculous, which is why he would never actually do it and forgo the money he makes. He wants to bite the hand that feeds him and that is his choice.

He doesn't like how he makes it, but he surely wouldn't give it up. They have a LOT safer job than the US military for example. Maybe would he choose to play for that pay then. We are talking a tenth of the media coverage to pay NFL players $30-50k a year and give them lifetime benefits.

My guess is he'd rather have that 1.3-2.8 million restricted free agent tender and complain about the media attention, than play in a UFL type league without media attention where he makes 30-50k a year.

I'd call it a rant for sure. epic? Not really. He kind of reminds me of a guy complaining about the US reliance on foreign oil, as he drives a humvee.

vCash
    So Sherman isn't the only smart guy on the Seahawks.

This isn't as much a rant as it is a great speech.

vCash
    Espnz da best fuh sportz newz doh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    So Sherman isn't the only smart guy on the Seahawks.

This isn't as much a rant as it is a great speech.
    Both friends at Stanford.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast