Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The football 40

vCash

The football 40

QB's, backers and defensive linemen is where I put my interest. Those 4.2-4.4 types, it's all about the day/condition they are in. They have speed. I will say this, those with actual track experience will maintain their speed longer (talking seasons) than just some quick 40 guy. I would look for that but I do doubt football people think that way, it's all about...the right now.

As we'll see in this edition of the NFL combine more and more QB's in that 4.55-4.65 world, as speed at that position becomes moire important, yep....evolution

A big guy with some serious jets, valuable!
    Last edited by CCRider; 02-21-2014 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    Who are these 4.2-4.4 types who play QB, DE, and LB?
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Who are these 4.2-4.4 types who play QB, DE, and LB?
    Being this is a football board I assume things. Obviously, I was talking about the speed positions there, not that there haven't been a few 4.4 backers.

vCash
    Evolution is foot speed rather than reading a defense? lol. Good to see the internet is taking away generations of intellectual evolution
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    The 40 yard dash is the most overrated workout in all of sports.

How often in a game is any player running in a straight line for 40 yards?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    10 yard split>

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    It would be ****ing dumb for anybody to trade up for a defensive end. How many games did JJ Watt, clearly the best DE in the NFL, win the Texans this year?
    LOL, yeah, if I ever finish my time machine I'll make sure not to go back and trade up for Watt. That would be a terrible idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post
    10 yard split>
    Yup. And shuttles.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Evolution is foot speed rather than reading a defense? lol. Good to see the internet is taking away generations of intellectual evolution
    I totally agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post

Who is the most productive back in the NFL right now, that would be Jamaal Charles a legit sprinter while at Texas.

The more speed an athletes brings into the league the longer he'll be a speedy athlete. A 4.5 guy slows down to 4.7, a 4.3 guy slows down to 4.5.

vCash
    40 speed is generally indicative of overall athletic ability though. That is it's most useful aspect. If you can run faster (for your size than) your peers you're almost invariably a better all round athlete. It's not 100%, but in the early days of scouting it was the best indicator available since they usually didn't have the werewithal to run the prospects through a battery of tests. Walking (running) is pretty much the first "athletic" activity that you indulge in, so it remains the standard of your athleticism throughout life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
    40 speed is generally indicative of overall athletic ability though. That is it's most useful aspect. If you can run faster (for your size than) your peers you're almost invariably a better all round athlete. It's not 100%, but in the early days of scouting it was the best indicator available since they usually didn't have the werewithal to run the prospects through a battery of tests. Walking (running) is pretty much the first "athletic" activity that you indulge in, so it remains the standard of your athleticism throughout life.
    You nailed it!

The faster speed a player starts out with the better it will be down the road. He will slow down but a 4.3 guy slowing down is different than a 4.6 guy.
    Last edited by CCRider; 02-22-2014 at 01:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post

Who is the most productive back in the NFL right now, that would be Jamaal Charles a legit sprinter while at Texas.

The more speed an athletes brings into the league the longer he'll be a speedy athlete. A 4.5 guy slows down to 4.7, a 4.3 guy slows down to 4.5.
    Adrian Peterson says hello...
    A famous quote on PSD, from the one, the only;

CCRider

I hate to break it to ya like this amigo but nobody here is really too concerned with what you want like or need....ok? If a thread isn't for you do like everyone else, walk on by...ok?

vCash
    Um, 40 is overhyped.

Cone drills are much more indicative of athletic ability. Not only you you run, but you have to plant, turn, flip hips, adjust your center of gravity.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Um, 40 is overhyped.

Cone drills are much more indicative of athletic ability. Not only you you run, but you have to plant, turn, flip hips, adjust your center of gravity.
    This, you can run a 4.2 and be totally unathletic so it doesn't translate on the field
    SABRES METS COWBOYS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0310 View Post
    This, you can run a 4.2 and be totally unathletic ...........
    Go ahead then, champ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast