Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Tom Coughlin, Giants agree to one-year contract extension

Tom Coughlin, Giants agree to one-year contract extension

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on February 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

INDIANAPOLIS Tom Coughlin and the Giants have agreed to a one-year contract extension.

Coughlin was set to enter the final year of his deal. The team typically does not allow coaches to go into a lame-duck situation, and securing the extra year on his contract was among the team's priorities this offseason.

Negotiations began shortly after the Super Bowl.

"The Giants have always done that," Coughlin said. "That's the way it has been indicated to me. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it to be honest with you. We've got a lot of work going on in our business, as you know. I had great confidence that it would happen. And it did."

The move gives Coughlin, 67, as much security as any of his assistant coaches or coordinators. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo signed a two-year deal in January.

Coughlin said a bigger extension was not brought up or proposed by ownership.
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...extension.html

vCash
    The extension is for 1 year 7 million. Roughly what he made last year and is making this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    The extension is for 1 year 7 million. Roughly what he made last year and is making this year.
    Good for Coughlin. He deserves his money. I personally want to see him ride off into the sunset with SB #3 in his tenure. Is this a crazy thought? I think we might win the next SB in the yr we play the Pats again in the regular season with Brady retiring after the game with a loss. That would be such a storybook game too lol. That seems a bit crazy, but I hope we can retool and win sooner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    Good for Coughlin. He deserves his money. I personally want to see him ride off into the sunset with SB #3 in his tenure. Is this a crazy thought? I think we might win the next SB in the yr we play the Pats again in the regular season with Brady retiring after the game with a loss. That would be such a storybook game too lol. That seems a bit crazy, but I hope we can retool and win sooner.
    A Super Bowl win every 4 years? Works for me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    A Super Bowl win every 4 years? Works for me
    Same here lol, I'm ready for SB 50!!!

With that aside, I can't see Coughlin getting fired by the Giants at all, not unless they have three consecutive 7-9 seasons. If anything else, I think Coughlin is going to retire as a Giant.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    Same here lol, I'm ready for SB 50!!!

With that aside, I can't see Coughlin getting fired by the Giants at all, not unless they have three consecutive 7-9 seasons. If anything else, I think Coughlin is going to retire as a Giant.
    If it comes to that that'll definitely be the case

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I love TC for the job he's done here in NY but if we miss the playoffs again..... he has to go. What point would it be to bring him back for 1 year. In any event, Kevin Gilbride is gone and a lot of our problems should go too on the offensive end but TC will be able to coach now without the loyalty he showed KG.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!