Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Game 56 (2-21-14): Sixers (15-40) vs. Mavericks (32-23)

vs.

Philadelphia 76ers - Dallas Mavericks

Date: February 21st, 2014
    Time: 7:00 PM EST
    Broadcast: CSN (TV), 97.5 FM (Radio)

Points per Game Assists per Game Rebounds per Game
    Sixers Young 17.1 MCW 6.3 Young 6.2
    Mavericks Nowitzki 21.7 Ellis 5.7 Marion 6.8

The Dallas Mavericks are setting off on a three-game road trip against beatable teams from the Eastern Conference. First up is a team that appears even more vulnerable after a bevy of trade deadline moves.

The Mavericks look to send the Philadelphia 76ers to a 10th straight loss in their first game since parting with leading scorer Evan Turner and starting center Spencer Hawes.

"We understand the nature of this time of the year," said 76ers coach Brett Brown, whose team most notably received injury-prone forward Danny Granger and his expiring contract from Indiana for Turner. "We understand the effect it has on human beings when you get beaten like we've been beaten recently, and that lack of self-esteem or lack of confidence or wondering what the future brings, it's my job to help them navigate through this. ... But that beat-down effect rears its head in a bunch of ways, and I see it now in them."

That's not something Dallas (32-23), which remained quiet through the deadline, can necessarily relate to. The Mavericks entered the All-Star break with six wins in seven games, though they did drop their return from the break with Tuesday's 117-106 home loss to Miami.

Dirk Nowitzki has 22 points, nine rebounds and seven assists as the Mavericks failed to beat the top two teams in the East in consecutive games after entering the break with a win at Indiana.

"I like how we competed," Nowitzki told the team's official website. "We played hard and gave ourselves a chance. Just down the stretch we weren't good enough. LeBron (James) kept making plays, and they stepped up their defense a little bit. We couldn't score the last four or five minutes, so I guess that separates a good team from a great team."

Dallas has won five of six against Philadelphia, including a 97-94 home victory on Nov. 18. Monta Ellis had 24 points and 10 assists while Nowitzki had 20 points and 10 rebounds. Turner led all scorers with 26.

In what ended up being Turner's final game with Philadelphia on Tuesday, the 76ers (15-40) started a five-game homestand with an embarrassing 114-85 loss to surging Cleveland. The nine-game losing streak is their longest since a 12-game skid in 2009-10.

Thaddeus Young had 15 points and nine rebounds while Michael Carter-Williams scored 15 but had seven turnovers and just one assist. Brown said Wednesday the rookie point guard is battling flu-like symptoms, but needs to better embrace the demands of his position after averaging 5.1 turnovers in his last seven games.

"The bottom line is he's got to run our team and be a point guard, and he's hit perhaps a little bit of a down patch," Brown said.

On Thursday, the 76ers followed up the latest loss by first trading Hawes to the Cavaliers for reserve forward Earl Clark, reserve center Henry Sims and two second-round picks.

Just before the 3 p.m. deadline, they made the Turner-Granger swap, which also sent Lavoy Allen to the Pacers and a 2015 second-round pick to the 76ers. The 30-year-old Granger, a 2009 All-Star, averaged 8.3 points in 29 games for the Pacers this season but has seen his career disrupted by injuries.

Philadelphia further shook up the roster in a three-team deal with Denver and Washington, taking on guard Eric Maynor from the Wizards and an additional two second-round picks. The pick from the Wizards comes in 2015 and one from the Nuggets is in 2016. Washington receives a protected 2014 second-round pick from the 76ers.

One final move brought center Byron Mullens to Philadelphia from the Los Angeles Clippers.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    Injury report coming soon...

Dallas:
    Injury report coming soon...

vCash
    Gonna be an interesting rotation tomorrow night. Have we settled on the starting lineup yet? Who's even gonna be available to play?

vCash
    Blake already playing for warriors. So maybe everyone.

vCash
    So what is are starting lineup and roster?
    MCW/Maynor?
    Wroton/Anderson/Brown
    Thompson/Granger?/Williams
    Thad/Moultrie/
    Mullens?/Sims?

Holy **** tank is full on with this roster even if Granger plays i say he offers the same if not less of what ET gave us....

vCash
    I'm excited. Won't see game. Wish I could.

vCash
    @ChrisVito: Sam Hinkie: Only two of #Sixers trades went through. Two are still pending, barring physicals. Might be short-handed tonight.

@ChrisVito: At least 7, as many as 9 guys available for #Sixers tonight vs. Dallas.

@dlynamCSN: #SixersTalk Sixers will have seven guys definitely maybe as many as nine

vCash
    damn Thad went off tonight going for 30/13/7/6 becoming the 2nd player ever to put up that line since the Dream 25 years ago. hope Thad is here a while

vCash
    Honestly he is prolly just happy he didnt get traded...because he kept on saying he wanted to stay but i still think he will be traded draft night but thats just me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theducksmuggler View Post
    Honestly he is prolly just happy he didnt get traded...because he kept on saying he wanted to stay but i still think he will be traded draft night but thats just me...
    I think there's some unwritten agreement between Thad and Hinkie. Thad will continue to pad his stats for the rest of the year, and Hinkie will try to find him the best possible destination come draft-night. The better Thad plays, the more teams will be interested in him, the more options he'll have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theducksmuggler View Post
    Well he's clearly our best player. So of course he'll get traded draft night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SeoulBeatz View Post
    I think there's some unwritten agreement between Thad and Hinkie. Thad will continue to pad his stats for the rest of the year, and Hinkie will try to find him the best possible destination come draft-night. The better Thad plays, the more teams will be interested in him, the more options he'll have.
    When will they play him at the three??? Don't they have to see!???

vCash
    god damnit it pains me that Arnett Moultrie is turning into a poor mans Speights.

Just watching how quick and athletic he was in college and how out of shape and bloated he is now is a damn shame.

He seems like a smart enough guy from what I've gathered from interviews so I just don't get the poor work ethic, especially considering how hard he worked to switch from a lanky 3 to a pretty damn good 4 in college.

Hopefully he can get an semblance of a rhythm going in these last 26 games.
    Last edited by SeoulBeatz; 02-22-2014 at 03:49 AM.

vCash
    well in moultries defense hes coming off an injury and was out for months til recently. that said he certainly isnt i the shape he should be after making that fuss a few weeks ago about wanting to play.

vCash
    yeah im pretty sure he really couldnt do any cardio if he did it wasnt much since he had surgery id like to see him with a full healthy offseason with brett browns guidance and see what he can show next year...if anything

Born in Philadelphia, retired in Kentucky
    vCash
    I don't understand why was he complaining about playing time. I'm pretty sure he knew why wasn't on the floor. Brown made that clear. He has until the end of the season for me.