Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cards sign Aledmys Diaz to a 4 year deal

Officially eligible to sign as of yesterday. Has worked out for reportedly 7 teams ranging from the Jays, Cards, Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, A's etc.

Only offer that we publicly know about is one from the Cardinals, I'm sure he has received more. Should be making a decision in the next two days.

Probably needs a year in the minors (potentially). Has a strong arm, and his bat is apparently MLB or AAA ready at the moment. But his range and footwork need work if he is going to be a shortstop at the MLB level. Has improved upon his plate discipline a lot over the last few years.

Also showcasing is Odrisamer Despaigne

vCash
    We were talking about him in the Met's forum but then I was reading this and it gave me some hesitation.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2013/1/1...ouis-cardinals

And you're not looking at much, either—1090 at-bats over a period in which an American prospect would advance from rookie ball to the high minors. The Davenport Translations, an attempt to translate his numbers into an MLB context, help a little—from 07-08 (in which Diaz drew 32 at-bats) to 10-11, they make him look like a punchier Daniel Descalso, with a line of .258/.320/.353.
    Granted he has some nice tools but like you said, there are questions about whether he can stick at SS as well. He's got a gun for an arm though.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-20-2014 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Granted he has some nice tools but like you said, there are questions about whether he can stick at SS as well. He's got a gun for an arm though.
    Since the Yankees are in immediate need of a second baseman, and I suspect a third baseman rather soon, I won't mind if he has to move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misterd View Post
    Since the Yankees are in immediate need of a second baseman, and I suspect a third baseman rather soon, I won't mind if he has to move.
    Well that's where he could be beneficial to a team but there are also questions how about how ML ready he is. I heard they are the frontrunners so we'll see what happens.

vCash
    I still think the Yankees are the best destination

vCash
    He had a workout with the Yankees last Friday.
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I still think the Yankees are the best destination
    You meant Yankees West (Dodgers), right?

vCash
    I had a dream last night the Yankees signed him to a 2 year 13 million deal.

FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    76-74

G: 134 | AVG: .249| HR: 3| RBI: 40| OBP: .298 | SLG: .297 | wOBA: .270 | wRC: 67

vCash
    Anything can happen with a little bit of work, but I'm leaning towards him being more of a second baseman.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    76-74

G: 134 | AVG: .249| HR: 3| RBI: 40| OBP: .298 | SLG: .297 | wOBA: .270 | wRC: 67

vCash

Aldemys Diaz Thread

Can somebody explain the appeal to me?

All I'm getting is a crappy hitter who will play a decent 2B but has a cannon for an arm. I could be wrong and if so, please correct me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Can somebody explain the appeal to me?

All I'm getting is a crappy hitter who will play a decent 2B but has a cannon for an arm. I could be wrong and if so, please correct me.
    Strong arm, hit for power and average in Cuba with like 12 homeruns and batting .315 in about 270 plate appearances along with 11 stolen bases. Great plate discipline as well. 139 walks to 107 strikeouts from 08-12.

I don't know how good he'll be but it's worth a risk for a team like the yankees who'll need an infielder for second and short next season. Not to mention he's only 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Squibble Squabble

vCash

Aldemys Diaz Thread

Yankees already signed him, just has not been announces yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well that's where he could be beneficial to a team but there are also questions how about how ML ready he is. I heard they are the frontrunners so we'll see what happens.
    Thing is the Yankees are in need (this year or next) in three infield positions, with no one really close to ready in the minors. Whether he is ML ready or just someone who can jump in to AA or AAA, they still have the need. I won't say they have more need than any other team, but I doubt there's another team with the same combination of need and means. After that its just a question of will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yankees already signed him, just has not been announces yet.
    wait, really?
    Future Ace

vCash
    Via George King: The Yankees will not offer free agent Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz a contract following his private workout on Friday. They aren’t planning to offer right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne a contract either, but he isn’t much of a prospect.

Diaz, 23, is said to be seeking upwards of $20M, according to King. He worked out for the club at their minor league complex in Tampa and I guess they weren’t all that impressed. The Yankees have reportedly been scouting Diaz for months, so they are familiar with him. There are questions about his long-term potential but the team has been connected to him quite a bit in recent weeks, so it is surprisingly they won’t even make an offer.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2014/02/kin...t-offer-99807/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast