Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is This The Worst Case Of Conference Disparity There's Ever Been?

Just when it started to look a couple years ago like things were starting to balance out...

Toronto is a 3rd seed in the East. In the West, they wouldn't qualify for the playoffs.

Three teams that aren't qualifying for the playoffs in the West - Memphis, Minnesota, Denver - would qualify in the East. Memphis would be the 3rd seed! The Grizzlies, at present, would be sitting home watching SIX teams with worse records participate in the playoffs, TWO of them enjoying homecourt.

I've usually agreed with the Commissioner saying this stuff was cyclical, but this "cycle" is going on about 15 years now. I'm only bringing this subject up again because it appears to be the worst I ever remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    Just when it started to look a couple years ago like things were starting to balance out...

Toronto is a 3rd seed in the East. In the West, they wouldn't qualify for the playoffs.

Three teams that aren't qualifying for the playoffs in the West - Memphis, Minnesota, Denver - would qualify in the East. Memphis would be the 3rd seed! The Grizzlies, at present, would be sitting home watching SIX teams with worse records participate in the playoffs, TWO of them enjoying homecourt.

I've usually agreed with the Commissioner saying this stuff was cyclical, but this "cycle" is going on about 15 years now. I'm only bringing this subject up again because it appears to be the worst I ever remember.
    I agree this is the worst it has ever been, no doubt about that.

But as far as going on for 15 years, that's a little off. Ordinarily it is maybe the 7-8 seed in the east that is horrible and wouldn't make the playoffs in the West. But never where the 3rd seed is

vCash
    Exactly, this is a reason why NBA is going downhill. NBA needs to change fast, NHL is already taking over their market share.

NBA players just prefer to play with their buddies and have a few select cities where they wanna play. What has to happen is NBA needs to adopt the franchise tag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    Exactly, this is a reason why NBA is going downhill. NBA needs to change fast, NHL is already taking over their market share.

NBA players just prefer to play with their buddies and have a few select cities where they wanna play. What has to happen is NBA needs to adopt the franchise tag.
    Is this your opinion or did you see this somewhere ?

vCash
    The whole eastern conference is mostly tanking

Bucks
    Philly
    Boston
    Magic
    Atl

Three teams hit hard by
    Bulls(should be up there win wise with Miami/pacers)
    Knicks(outside melo the whole starting 5 miss 10 plus games,amare and Martin also 10 plus games, jr never had a training camp after knee surgery and the. Suspension)
    Brooklyn(Lopez/ak47 miss time/d-will)

Teams that underachieve
    Detroit
    Knicks
    Cavs

And teams just taking advantage of the weak eastern conference
    Wiz
    Bobcats
    Raptors

It's just a lot of bad luck on top of tanking making the east worse then it normally is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post

Bucks
    Philly
    Boston
    Magic
    Atl

Three teams hit hard by
    Knicks(outside melo the whole starting 5 miss 10 plus games,amare and Martin also 10 plus games, jr never had a training camp after knee surgery and the. Suspension)

Teams that underachieve
    Detroit
    Knicks
    Cavs

Wiz
    Bobcats
    Raptors

It's just a lot of bad luck on top of tanking making the east worse then it normally is
    I wouldn't put Atlanta in the tanking category, they're still a 7 seed right now and they also ran into bad luck losing Horford. Before losing Horford, they were actually playing well.

vCash
    But wait we're supposed to have parity across the league now?
    ( sarcasm )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post

Bucks
    Philly
    Boston
    Magic
    Atl

Three teams hit hard by

Teams that underachieve
    Detroit
    Knicks
    Cavs

Wiz
    Bobcats
    Raptors

The only teams that don't care about winning are MLW, PHI, BOS and ORL. That's 4 teams. The rest might be taking advantage of a weak east, but they aren't "tanking", unless you have a dumb definition of the word.

The East is bad, for sure. Unprecedented? IDK.

There were some bad seasons in the early-mid 2000s for the East. The West was bad to awful a few times in the late 90s. That's just at the top of my head. I'm sure there are other poor years.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Stein tweeted a day or two ago (via Elias) that the East have the worst ever combined win percentage for one conference vs the other. So by that measure the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    But wait we're supposed to have parity across the league now?
    ( sarcasm )
    What? When did anyone ever say there was supposed to be parity between the two conferences? I feel like most of the time half the people here just don't really understand what people are talking about, but then try to rearrange the same words into their own vaguely related point later. There has never been any discussion of, or mechanism/policy/rule for promoting inter-conference parity. No idea what you're talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    The only teams that don't care about winning are MLW, PHI, BOS and ORL. That's 4 teams. The rest might be taking advantage of a weak east, but they aren't "tanking", unless you have a dumb definition of the word.

The East is bad, for sure. Unprecedented? IDK.

There were some bad seasons in the early-mid 2000s for the East. The West was bad to awful a few times in the late 90s. That's just at the top of my head. I'm sure there are other poor years.
    And at least MIL (not sure about Orlando, and hard to say with Boston) weren't 'not caring about winning' to start the season - just came about because they sucked. They started the season targeting the playoffs, and haven't made many (any?) moves to get worse since then, they just suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    Stein tweeted a day or two ago (via Elias) that the East have the worst ever combined win percentage for one conference vs the other. So by that measure the answer is yes.

What? When did anyone ever say there was supposed to be parity between the two conferences? I feel like most of the time half the people here just don't really understand what people are talking about, but then try to rearrange the same words into their own vaguely related point later. There has never been any discussion of, or mechanism/policy/rule for promoting inter-conference parity. No idea what you're talking about.
    I'm sure you don't. During the negotiating for the new CBA the leagues main slogan was "this is going to create parity across the league." Some fans bought that but most of us saw that was total bs. If you're mismanaging your team it doesn't matter what system is in place. The Leastern conference is a prime example of that...

vCash
    It's bad but at least the top 2 teams in the east are great teams and capable of winning it all. Remember the nets and Indy teams the Lakers played (not dissing the Lakers). Those teams and eastern conference was just horrid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    And at least MIL (not sure about Orlando, and hard to say with Boston) weren't 'not caring about winning' to start the season - just came about because they sucked. They started the season targeting the playoffs, and haven't made many (any?) moves to get worse since then, they just suck.
    I think the word "tank" is used way too liberally. There are just teams that suck, and aren't trying to, as you said. There are people that use it to describe every team that's rebuilding in a way that insinuates the players/coaches are trying to lose. I refuse to believe at this point that there are players and coaches who are actively trying to sabotage games to lose.

Tanking is a derogatory word Most of these teams are just rebuilding in a proper and smart way.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    this is the largest disparity I can remember. Hopefully Hinkie and Toronto's GM (can never remember his name) help fix that. They seem to be the only hope outside Riley/Bird as far as GM's come out east.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    i feel like we've been asking ourselves the same question since MJ retired. i don't know if this is the worst but its gotta be up there. the east always has a couple of beasts who can compete and defeat the west but is usually loaded with mediocre teams.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast