Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Cap Is Projected To Be $130 Mil

So said Schefter today...the Pats will have $7.8 Mil to work with before making any moves to restructure etc.

vCash
    I thought we had more then that prior to cap being increased

vCash
    http://www.patscap.com/

According to Pats Cap, they are sitting at $117,955,660. When you include rookies et al. they are going to have to do some restructures to address Talib. I think that the bigger news of the day is that the Pats signed Lombardi to work with them on player evaluation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschi_warrior View Post
    http://www.patscap.com/

According to Pats Cap, they are sitting at $117,955,660. When you include rookies et al. they are going to have to do some restructures to address Talib. I think that the bigger news of the day is that the Pats signed Lombardi to work with them on player evaluation.
    Even better. I used the $7.8 Mil figure in the NESN story:

http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-nfl-s...o-130-million/

vCash
    So the Pats have almost 12 mil in cap room, before restructuring contracts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBrave View Post
    So the Pats have almost 12 mil in cap room, before restructuring contracts
    Yea, if I recall correctly, last year the Patriots had about $13 - $14 million in cap space entering last years' draft and if you just look at Gregory, Siliga, a Wilfork restructure, we could be adding another $3 to $6 million in case space as well just from those three potential moves.

vCash
    a few mill higher than it was projected to be. so we got about 11 mill space before any cuts/restructures thats pretty good. cut gregory and sopapoga that adds 4 mill right there. extending mankins will add some more.

the elephant in the room is wilfork. theres no way the pats should pay a nosetackle playing in a 4-3 system not fit for him coming off an achilles tear 7 mill. thats craaaazy. 7 mill for a nosetackle is almost unheard of even playing in a 3-4 system. i know wilfork is at the back end of his deal so his cap went up but its just too much. love vince to death but imo vince has two options. accept a new role on the team as a situational run stopper (much like how you bring in a situational passrusher on passing downs), so this may mean he might start the game early playing on early run downs like first down and second down, short yardage, goaline, and coming out of the game on passing and 2nd half when teams open up the pass. idealy his snap count should be 30-40ish a game as opposed to 60-70ish hes been playing in the past basically the whole game. this would allow us to get more passrushers in the game and be a true 4-3 defense. sign a new deal that reflects this change i would say around 3 mil a year would be ideal. this will create around 4 mill in cap space.

option 2 is to be cut saving us 7 mill. sorry vince love ya big buddy but im not paying an injured older nosetackle 7 mill to play in a 4-3 defense.

hope he would do something like option one but if not i have no problem letting him go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschi_warrior View Post
    Yea, if I recall correctly, last year the Patriots had about $13 - $14 million in cap space entering last years' draft and if you just look at Gregory, Siliga, a Wilfork restructure, we could be adding another $3 to $6 million in case space as well just from those three potential moves.
    Connolly, Kelly, and Wilson are also other people who could very likely get cut. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Slater got cut if they needed the space that badly.

vCash
    Seahawks LE Red Bryant currently has an $8.5 million cap number for 2014.
    Working against Bryant is a $3 million roster bonus due on March 14. Bryant only played 488 snaps in 2013, offers next to nothing in terms of a pass rush, and turns 30 in April. The Seahawks are looking to clear as much cap space as possible with important players like DL Michael Bennett set to hit the open market next month. Feb 3 - 7:27 PM

the seahawks use bryant the right way in their system which is what i think we should do with wilfork. however they are facing the same problem his cap is too high. these guys should be in the 3 mill range using them sparingly in a 4-3. thats the only way to use a nosetackle in a 4-3, in a limited fashion. the great 4-3 defenses like the colts with freeney and mathis, the aggressive bears defenses of the past, the bucaneers in 2002, the giants defense that beat us in the sb's, they all dont use nosetackles. their passrush are deadly because they got 4 passrushing dlineman in the game. we've always been playing with 3 with wilfork in the game. thats got to change if we want to run an elite 43. id like to keep wilfork cuz hes a great player and guy but hes got to change his role and cap number. then we go out and draft a geno atkins, suh, type player and improve our 43 passrush. one player that fits this type is dt reid from princeton.

vCash
    The Wilfork situation is kinda messy. It makes sense to cut him also to keep him. Ideally he takes a pay cut and some extra time off next season to get healthy (geting paid less per game anyways) and can comeback healthy and earn his last contract next offseason from us or some other team.

This kind of makes sense from both the player and the team. If he thinks he can still play his best chance of cashing in would be to prove he could come back healthy next season and his best chance of doing that is probably with the Patriots and BB.

vCash
    I saw a tweet this morning talking about a John Clayton report that the new projection is $132 million. According to ESPN Boston we have $126.1 million in salary cap obligations, including dead money. Hopefully we can get the $3.5 million of salary cap space we're fighting for in the Aaron Hernandez case to add even more flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    the wilfork thing is really hard to gauge . i think a restructure makes sense but also recall the bad feelings before he got his last deal done so i am unconvinced he will be easy to handle. there are others like wilson who really have to be cleared off and it would be great if any hernandez relief could be had.over all it does look like with the new cap money things are not too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briz almighty View Post
    a few mill higher than it was projected to be. so we got about 11 mill space before any cuts/restructures thats pretty good. cut gregory and sopapoga that adds 4 mill right there. extending mankins will add some more.

the elephant in the room is wilfork. theres no way the pats should pay a nosetackle playing in a 4-3 system not fit for him coming off an achilles tear 7 mill. thats craaaazy. 7 mill for a nosetackle is almost unheard of even playing in a 3-4 system. i know wilfork is at the back end of his deal so his cap went up but its just too much. love vince to death but imo vince has two options. accept a new role on the team as a situational run stopper (much like how you bring in a situational passrusher on passing downs), so this may mean he might start the game early playing on early run downs like first down and second down, short yardage, goaline, and coming out of the game on passing and 2nd half when teams open up the pass. idealy his snap count should be 30-40ish a game as opposed to 60-70ish hes been playing in the past basically the whole game. this would allow us to get more passrushers in the game and be a true 4-3 defense. sign a new deal that reflects this change i would say around 3 mil a year would be ideal. this will create around 4 mill in cap space.

option 2 is to be cut saving us 7 mill. sorry vince love ya big buddy but im not paying an injured older nosetackle 7 mill to play in a 4-3 defense.

hope he would do something like option one but if not i have no problem letting him go.
    I feel the same way as far as gigantic respect for VW. The most.

Question though, I used sport trac and it looks to me VW's 2014 contract is 11.6 with 3M dead money. So for me the restructure would have to be beyond massive.

The injury he got is one of the worst you can get. High % of players don't get back to who they were from Achilles injuries let alone one that will be in his 11th year, has taken a pounding of double teams and weighs around 340. I don't know that he doesn't start the year like Gronk on pup and sit for 6+ games. If that is the case then what would a good deal be for 33 old DT coming off an Achilles during the prior season that might play a shade less than 2/3 of the 14 season?

I'm with you it may be that he has to be cut. I love the guy but he is going to have to be incredibly realistic for any hope of a restructure. If the guy wasn't a stalwart of the D for a decade and went to 5 superbowls there isn't even a conversation, unfortunately that guy isn't that guy anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbangclock View Post
    the wilfork thing is really hard to gauge . i think a restructure makes sense but also recall the bad feelings before he got his last deal done so i am unconvinced he will be easy to handle. there are others like wilson who really have to be cleared off and it would be great if any hernandez relief could be had.over all it does look like with the new cap money things are not too bad.
    Not many have been talking about it but restructuring or cutting Amendola after June is an option. He could be open to a restructure and that would be great to look at him for a second year. If he gets cut there is no way he gets a deal like he got from us especially that late. The market is flooded with WR's in FA and the draft. I would look to address that if I was BB.

The hernandez situation is sickening and I hope we catch a break there.

vCash
    The Pats can reduce Wilfork's cap number without him actually having to take a pay cut from his $7.5 mil salary...

2 year extension with $10.5 million of new money
    $6 million signing bonus
    2014: $1.5 mil salary
    2015: $1.5 mil salary, $4 mil roster bonus
    2016: $5 mil salary

Vince actually gets paid $7.5 million this year just like we would have but we get to spread it out over multiple years against the cap. If Vince struggles to come back from injury we can move on from him after this year with minimal dead money by releasing him before the roster bonus is due. If he comes back strong, he can earn $5.25 million/year over 2015-16 which is a good contract for a DT his age

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast