Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Braves extend Andrelton Simmons

The Braves have agreed to a seven-year extension with shortstop Andrelton Simmons, the club announced today via press release. Simmons, 24, will now be under contract with Atlanta through the 2020 season. The deal includes two seasons of free agent eligibility
    Simmons will receive a $58MM guarantee, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
    Wow what a great offseason this has turn into.

vCash
    Boom!
    ]

vCash
    I was expecting this to happen next offseason after a little more development. Pretty good value and really will be when his bat develops a little more!
    ]

vCash
    Simmons gets a $1MM signing bonus, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter), and will make the following annual salaries: $1MM (2014), $3MM (2015), $6MM (2016), $8MM (2017), $11MM (2018), $13MM (2019), and $15MM (2020).
    On second thought I guess we overpay a bit for Simmons, we will paid 25M in his arbitration years (2016-2018) barring any offensive outburst I really doubt he would have match that amount, for example Andrus got 13.5 in his arb years, if we calculate a 10% inflation we are talking about 15M, let's say that Simmons is better than Andrus and he would probably have cost around 17M ins his arb years. On top of that we are giving him close to 3M over what he would have won in 2014-2015 years, and I think we are getting a small discount in his two free agent years 13M and 15M, again using Andrus as an example, Texas will pay andrus 30M in his first two free agent years age (26-27) that's very close to what we are going to pay Simmons for his 30 and 31 seasons, again Simmons being the better player he would have been worth more than the 30M Texas is paying Andrus, but not by much, it's not a bad deal but I think we didn't get any discount and probably overpay for about 5-10M in my opinion. Still happy we got our SS for two more years.

vCash
    His WAR was just behind Freeman's. Defense is valuable, so I'm fine with this year. Andrus pulled 8/$120M, so it's hard to complain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    His WAR was just behind Freeman's. Defense is valuable, so I'm fine with this year. Andrus pulled 8/$120M, so it's hard to complain.
    Yea to me this deal is a steal. His bat can stay where it was last season and still be worth that money due to that D he plays.

vCash

Braves extend Andrelton Simmons

Another backloaded contract. Hopefully this means liberty will be selling the team to author blank once we move into the new stadium.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25, The Crow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2GMcjNyAyI)

vCash
    Defense is way cheaper on the open market, so Simmons should be way cheaper than Freeman.

I like the deal. 2 of the most important pieces are now locked up for their prime years. Looks like Wren & Co are doing a solid job setting this team up long term.

I figure Justin, Heyward, Beachy, Medlen are all auditioning at this point. They could all be gone in the next few years dependent on their price, production and development of others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    On second thought I guess we overpay a bit for Simmons, we will paid 25M in his arbitration years (2016-2018) barring any offensive outburst I really doubt he would have match that amount, for example Andrus got 13.5 in his arb years, if we calculate a 10% inflation we are talking about 15M, let's say that Simmons is better than Andrus and he would probably have cost around 17M ins his arb years. On top of that we are giving him close to 3M over what he would have won in 2014-2015 years, and I think we are getting a small discount in his two free agent years 13M and 15M, again using Andrus as an example, Texas will pay andrus 30M in his first two free agent years age (26-27) that's very close to what we are going to pay Simmons for his 30 and 31 seasons, again Simmons being the better player he would have been worth more than the 30M Texas is paying Andrus, but not by much, it's not a bad deal but I think we didn't get any discount and probably overpay for about 5-10M in my opinion. Still happy we got our SS for two more years.
    My money bets that Simba earns every bit of his guaranteed money and salary per year. I don't believe we'll overpay at any point...if anything we'll be getting away with more bang for our buck. Andrus is the closest comparison to Simba, both skill wise and contract specifics, but Simba is on another level defensively than Andrus (and Andrus is pretty damn good..that's just the amazing ability of Simba) and he's got more upside offensively because of his power potential and his ability to put the ball in play (throughout all levels he's struck out less than Andrus..Andrus has never had a K% less than 10% in the bigs..Simba already accomplished that in his first full year in the bigs).

Simba was worth 10.0 mil in his first quarter year..23.3 mil in his first full year in the bigs. In his first year and a quarter his value is already nearly half of Andrus' value in 5 full seasons (72.6).

Unless some unforeseen dramatic degression occurs...he's going to completely blow Andrus out of the water.

Even approaching age 30/31..at the very least..he should be able to match 13 and 15 mil on his defense alone...who knows how much improvement his offense would be by that time.

So pretty much...I think we got a steal with this deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    My money bets that Simba earns every bit of his guaranteed money and salary per year. I don't believe we'll overpay at any point...if anything we'll be getting away with more bang for our buck. Andrus is the closest comparison to Simba, both skill wise and contract specifics, but Simba is on another level defensively than Andrus (and Andrus is pretty damn good..that's just the amazing ability of Simba) and he's got more upside offensively because of his power potential and his ability to put the ball in play (throughout all levels he's struck out less than Andrus..Andrus has never had a K% less than 10% in the bigs..Simba already accomplished that in his first full year in the bigs).

Simba was worth 10.0 mil in his first quarter year..23.3 mil in his first full year in the bigs. In his first year and a quarter his value is already nearly half of Andrus' value in 5 full seasons (72.6).

Unless some unforeseen dramatic degression occurs...he's going to completely blow Andrus out of the water.

Even approaching age 30/31..at the very least..he should be able to match 13 and 15 mil on his defense alone...who knows how much improvement his offense would be by that time.

So pretty much...I think we got a steal with this deal.
    He's clearly better than Andrus but my point is that defense tend to be underrated in arbitration, a thing I didn't take into account in my argument is that Simmons is close to becoming a super two player, that means he would have been eligible for arbitration after this year, in that case is a different story since he would have clearly surpass the 25M we are paying him in arbitration and will make this contract a steal. I like this deal because if Simmons can improve his offense a bit we are talking about a top player in the league, a 7 WAR player every year.

vCash
    Simmons and Freeman were neck-and-neck in WAR, and Simmons signed a deal for an average salary which is half of Freeman's average salary. That alone makes me feel great.

vCash
    I have a feeling 2-3 years from now we will def. have to resign simmons to a bigger deal. If not that is a beautiful contract that I want to cry over lol!!!!

vCash
    With the Braves locking up all their young talent, it would seem only logical that they lock up the one with the most overall talent long term eventually. I think Jason's short contract was to get these two years settled while they work on a longer one. No disrespect to Freeman, but Jason is by far the most talented overall player on the roster. Does that mean he's the best player as of right now? Absolutely not! You can't argue with the numbers Freeman put up last year.

As someone had already syated, I think Mike is next up. I think Meds will likely be traded at some point or they will let him walk. After Mike is extended and FW has A clear picture of the what the Braves payroll looks lime going forward, I think he will revisit extending Jason long term.

At some point C. bet will take over at catcher and Gattis will be in lf or traded. The Braves may consider moving Perez or LaStella to lf as well. Depending on his ARM strength and how Salcedo plays, 3b may be an option for Perez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318:28014571
    I have a feeling 2-3 years from now we will def. have to resign simmons to a bigger deal. If not that is a beautiful contract that I want to cry over lol!!!!
    Deals are guaranteed and can't be renegotiated. Its best to wait out this deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    Deals are guaranteed and can't be renegotiated. Its best to wait out this deal.
    Deals can be renegotiated, for example the Rockies extended Troy Tulowitzki when he was still under a contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast