Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The "lets be optimistic about Ike Davis and why we shouldn't give up on him" thread

I'll start the ball rolling on why I really, really want to see us hold on to Ike and not give up on him just yet.

During his 4 year career thus far, he has really only truly had one bad year.

2010: His rookie year and he did really well with a .350 OBP and a .790 OPS. Also flashed defensive brilliance.

2011: Got off to a red hot start but suffered a freak ankle injury to end his season early. Had to deal with Happy Valley fever soon after that which is something that can take a year or two to full recover from.

2012: Horrible start to his season, but finished strong. It was a tail of two seasons for Ike, but he finished with 32 HRs and a .770 OPS overall. I'm not going to claim this is a good season, but lets also note that he had a very low .246 BABIP and in the 2nd half showed flashes of brilliance with plus power. I wouldn't say this was such a "bad" season.

2013: A bad year plain and simple. Only real positive I can take from it is that he increased is BB rate and had another good second half, but this time it didn't even come close to making up for his awful first half. Also suffered from another very low BABIP at .268.

I'm not going to claim that Ike is all good. Clearly he needs to make an adjustment at the plate. Earlier in his career he was able to carry a higher than average BABIP. He did so in the minors and during his first 2 seasons. This combined with his strong BB rates gave him consistently high OBPs from year to year. After his ankle injury and Happy Valley fever, there was just something wrong with him and has been ever since. He is now carrying ridiculously low BABIPs year in and year out and combined with his usual high K rate, it just is not a good formula for having success in the big leagues.

Having said that, this offseason is the first time he has had to truly look at himself in the mirror coming off a "bad" season and look to make some adjustments. We know he has always been a guy who has dropped his hands to his waste and has always had a hitch in his swing, so that isn't what has caused him to spiral downward. Ike himself said he started his offseason program earlier this year, watched a ton of film on himself, and noticed some slight adjustments he needs to make. I think we would be smart to see if these adjustments can improve his contact hitting skills and get him back on track to being the player he looked like he was going to become before his 2011 ankle injury.

We know what skills he has. He has plus power and good enough plate selection to carry a high BB rate. We also know he has good defensive skills in him and is a solid athlete for the position. We also know that he has platoon splits that favor him hitting against RHP, which is something we could use to our favor to help give him a better chance to succeed and be productive in his at bats. We also know that he is only just entering his age 28 season.

Ike definitely needs to make an adjustment at the plate if he is going to turn things around, but I wouldn't rule this out from happening and I think Alderson and company would be very wise to give him one more chance to prove he can do it because the rewards could be well worth it IMO.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Mets have battered wife syndrome with Ike. We think that if we just give him one more chance it will be different this time, because he has really really changed.

vCash
    Main reason is he's only 26, and power hitters like Ike often don't peak until their late 20s. Colby Rasmus has similar struggles in 2011 and 2012, and then broke out last year with an .840 OPS. And Ike is a better hitter than Rasmus.

vCash
    If they can ever get his swing right whether it be his mechanics, timing, stroke, etc, Ike could be a very dangerous power bat.

I just don't see it happening though. His swing even since coming back from Las Vegas still looks like it has too many moving parts imo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-20-2014 at 11:48 AM.

vCash
    Why don't we ever see threads like this about Lucas?
    He went to fat camp.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    He's had two fantastic shots at 1B, endless patience has been shown, he is not a kid anymore and he's had plenty of AB's. His attitude is not good either, that's no good when you're trying to prove you belong. As others have swing his swing has too many moving parts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Why don't we ever see threads like this about Lucas?
    He went to fat camp.
    Start one?

vCash
    As the original Ike Davis skeptic, I cannot be part of this.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I was once a big fan of Ike Davis, despite his obvious unorthodox swing and stance. I refused to believe for the longest time that he couldnt hit left handed pitching.

Then, when i was trying to argue that sure, Ike can hit left handed pitching, it became apparent that he couldn't hit right handed pitching either.

If it were tossed in underhanded.

Reminds me of the old Marv Throneberry story.

Marv once hit a ball up the gap at the old Polo Grounds. He rounded first, rounded second, and pulled in safely for a triple. The other team called time out, signaled for an appeal play at second, and Marvelous Marv was called out for failing to touch second base. Manager Casey Stengel came out to argue but his first base coach waved him off.

"Don't bother Casey. He didn't touch first either."

To which Casey replied, "Well, at least he touched third. I can see he's still standing on it!"

Ike can't hit lefties. Can't hit righties either. But he can stand on first when the Mets aren't at bat. And he can sit down in the dugout when they are.

Sigh.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Ike can hit RHP
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Best decision by Sandy will be to have kept Ike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Ike can hit RHP
    When he got off to the horrendous start in 2012, we wrote it off to Valley Fever, especially as he went on a torrid second half.

What was the reason he was hitting .161 on June 9th last year? A preponderance of left handed pitching?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Best decision by Sandy will be to have kept Ike.
    Hardly much of a decision. The Mets had no other first basemen and no one wanted to give him anyone decent for Ike.

When you own a stock that plummets, you're not a financial genius for not selling it after it lost all its value.

vCash
    Ike will hit .270 with a .340 OBP this year.

He'll hit 32 homeruns, drive in over 90 runs, and play stellar defense at 1st base.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Ike will hit .270 with a .340 OBP this year.

He'll hit 32 homeruns, drive in over 90 runs, and play stellar defense at 1st base.
    Caught some of that spring training fever?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast