Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby VS. NFL

vCash

Rugby VS. NFL

Rugby fans are very big on there sport and this is what football started from so I wanted to see how many in here would like to make a objective look at the two sports and talk about which one is better. Obviously NFL is more successful. Players make more money teams make more money ect. Rugby does not have the forward pass but kicking is a much bigger part of the game and the league is talking about getting rid of the extra point. I think the NFL has been a such a success because of the balance of running kicking and passing. However there is a push to make the league a pass first sport. Which may be OK. But I personally think they should change kicking rules all the way across the board make kickers more valuable. Like 30 yard kick be work 3 points 40 yard be worth 4 points 50 worth 5 points ect. It would open up the game to a totally different kind of play. Instead of getting rid of kicking add more. Just a thought. After having some heated conversations with some friends about the two sports it got me thinking. Kicks are exciting to me the suspense of the wait and to see if blocked or made or missed and the other team takes over on downs its a cool part of the game.

And you are what your record says you are.
    Sure liked the two years before DA and RM 1 game away from playoffs.
    And some say we are better off today.

vCash
    I wanna be the first wr to never be tackeld.
    If loving the raiders is wrong then I dont wanna be right!!!!!
    Prosportsdaily where we fight and cheer for the same team
    At the same time

vCash
    Like 30 yard kick be work 3 points 40 yard be worth 4 points 50 worth 5 points ect.
    This is going to get you beat down on PSD.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.

Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post
    WHY? Really give me some real conversation about why it is bad? I am not saying its a great Idea just wanted to throw some ideas around. The comish wants to take away the extra point. I don't like that one bit but why is more kicking bad? The farther a kicker has to kick it is harder to make it. The team should be compensated for the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Darts View Post
    WHY? Really give me some real conversation about why it is bad? I am not saying its a great Idea just wanted to throw some ideas around. The comish wants to take away the extra point. I don't like that one bit but why is more kicking bad? The farther a kicker has to kick it is harder to make it. The team should be compensated for the difference.
    I hate that some douche bag like a kicker decides so many games. Shoot me. I'd rather offense and defense did.

You would give them incentive to not make yards at certain scores. Or take penalties to get a longer kick for more points. It's a bad idea.

vCash
    I hate that some douche bag like a kicker decides so many games. Shoot me. I'd rather offense and defense did.

You would give them incentive to not make yards at certain scores. Or take penalties to get a longer kick for more points. It's a bad idea.
    Ok I guess the game should be called Handball instead of Football sense you want to take the foot out of it lets change the name to.

vCash
    Ok I guess the game should be called Handball instead of Football sense you want to take the foot out of it lets change the name to.
    I couldn't care less what they call it. I certainly don't want to change it so the name fits better.

Applaud outside the box thinking but you're going to get a lot of people really against this.

vCash
    Rugby fans are very big on there sport and this is what football started from so I wanted to see how many in here would like to make a objective look at the two sports and talk about which one is better. Obviously NFL is more successful. Players make more money teams make more money ect. Rugby does not have the forward pass but kicking is a much bigger part of the game and the league is talking about getting rid of the extra point. I think the NFL has been a such a success because of the balance of running kicking and passing. However there is a push to make the league a pass first sport. Which may be OK. But I personally think they should change kicking rules all the way across the board make kickers more valuable. Like 30 yard kick be work 3 points 40 yard be worth 4 points 50 worth 5 points ect. It would open up the game to a totally different kind of play. Instead of getting rid of kicking add more. Just a thought. After having some heated conversations with some friends about the two sports it got me thinking. Kicks are exciting to me the suspense of the wait and to see if blocked or made or missed and the other team takes over on downs its a cool part of the game.
    I don't see the suspense in kicks, maybe 1 kick every few games have any suspense, and even then most of them could be assumed they are going to be made. Blocks are rare, and misses are rare unless the kicker is in some kind of funk then he'll get cut for his crap salary and sign some no name dipshit off the street.

YAY EVERYONE REVEL IN TEH SUSPENSE OF TEH GREAT KICKZ@!@@!@!!
    (ignore the fact they are routine)

vCash
    Assuming a 20+ would equal 2 points and a 10+ would equal 1 point, it would most likely change the way teams are approaching the redzone. The kicking in rugby comes mostly as a penalty. That's totally different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Darts:28005731
    Kickers are not athletes. Their impact imo is just fine the way it is.

Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    It's not a question of which is better as both sports could use a bit of tweaking IMO. The difference in the U.S. has the tradition/history/brand of "football" where Euope has a stronger tradition/history/brand of rugby. It's like American baseball vs European soccer. Speak to an elder about the players they followed when growing up and you likely get a laundry list of football and baseball names. As the same elder about rugby or soccer and you're likely going to receive a blank stare. The brand isn't strong b/c ghe history isn't here. If baseball was introduced to Americans today for the first time it would likely be as popular as Cricket is over here.

Want to change the kicking? Sure, something should and likely will change in American football. On the flip side, if the rugby ball wasn't so large or had the trampoline effect of a soccer ball, how many of these guys could actually kick it? In the end, based on tradition and history, you will find the rugby side wanting American football adopting more rugby rules while the with the American football fans wanting rugby to adopt more of their way of play. Touche
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 02-20-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    i played rugby in high school. great sport and a blast to play
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Rugby is so damn boring.

I don't want kickers to be able to get 5 points. I want offenses to want to score TD's. Also if you did this kickers would be making like 10 mill a year soon and F THAT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe pride View Post
    i played rugby in high school. great sport and a blast to play
    Seconded I loved playing Rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Seconded I loved playing Rugby.
    what position?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast