Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 226
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1500

    Cashman on a short leash?

    Anyone else think Cashman may be on the hot seat going into this year? By hot, I mean hotter than the seat normally is in the Bronx?

    The farm system is inadequate. The team continues to miss on many of their top draft picks, and ownership is left to open their checkbooks on aging, expensive free agents to counteract the failures of the scouting and player development departments.

    Hal has been on record as saying he sees no reason why the payroll can't be below 189 million, as other teams have enjoyed success with half the financial resources.

    Personally, with most teams signing new TV deals, and benefiting from an influx of cash, I think the future is going to involve teams locking up all of their better players to long term deals (look what the Braves did this week) well before free agency. Homer Bailey even got 100 million! As a result, fewer big name free agents will be hitting the market, and the ones that do will command HUGE dollars and probably cost a draft pick (until they change that rule).

    In order to remain financially viable--something that keeps the likes of Hank and Hal happy--teams will need to rely on the draft(s) and their farm systems even more to produce top talent. Cashman and company have failed time and again of late in these areas of the ball club. For that reason, I could see Hal going in a different direction at the GM position in the near future. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,085
    vCash
    1500
    The Yankees are and always will be filling their holes by signing players. I don't ever see them trying to build a team through the farm system, and most certainly giving up more than a year of not being able to compete. With that said, I see no reason of management to get rid of Cashman unless there is a discrepancy in the direction of the team. We all know that the Yankees are in win now mode every season. As for the 189 million mark and these teams that build from within, it takes them time to get there and IF things work out the opportunity to compete doesn't last long. The philosophy of the Yankees and the way they run the show has not changed under the Steinbrenner's and I don't anticipate that changing unless the team faces new ownership.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,769
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidd>>>K-Mart View Post
    The Yankees are and always will be filling their holes by signing players. I don't ever see them trying to build a team through the farm system, and most certainly giving up more than a year of not being able to compete. With that said, I see no reason of management to get rid of Cashman unless there is a discrepancy in the direction of the team. We all know that the Yankees are in win now mode every season. As for the 189 million mark and these teams that build from within, it takes them time to get there and IF things work out the opportunity to compete doesn't last long. The philosophy of the Yankees and the way they run the show has not changed under the Steinbrenner's and I don't anticipate that changing unless the team faces new ownership.
    With all the resources they have they should start funneling more of it into more advanced scouting and analysis for evaluating and drafting players.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    We've had some very good players come through the system over the last decade or so. Cano, Nova, Robertson, etc. The problem over most of that time is a lot of our top prospects didn't pan out such as the killer B's (although could still be early for Banuelos and maybe Betances), Hughes, Kennedy, etc.

    The difference between the Yankees and most other teams is while attempting to "build" or "rebuild" something, we also reload. We don't have to go through all those years of sucking like most other teams have to to try and field a championship caliber team. Does it always work? No, but it sure beats sucking. Is it the way to go into the future? No, but I think a balance between the two absolutely is.

    I think for Cashman, it depends on what happens in the IFA market. There are reports we plan on spending big there, so hopefully something comes out of that. Problem is, with the final player of the 'Core 4', or if you prefer, 'Core 5' retiring, you can't look at them and expect something along the same lines. We may never see a group of guys like that come through the system at the same time. It truly was a blessing to see all of them play.

    Pitching is where most of our resources need to go to. If we have to drop cash on the open market to create an offense so be it, but we have to start developing our own pitching.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees

    47-47



    G: 83 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 25 | OBP: .324 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,504
    vCash
    1500
    Highly doubt Cashman is on the hot seat. Also, I imagine he'll move onto a senior position soon and Billy Eppler will be GM anyways.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
    Highly doubt Cashman is on the hot seat. Also, I imagine he'll move onto a senior position soon and Billy Eppler will be GM anyways.
    More likely scenario.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees

    47-47



    G: 83 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 25 | OBP: .324 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,769
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    We've had some very good players come through the system over the last decade or so. Cano, Nova, Robertson, etc. The problem over most of that time is a lot of our top prospects didn't pan out such as the killer B's (although could still be early for Banuelos and maybe Betances), Hughes, Kennedy, etc.

    The difference between the Yankees and most other teams is while attempting to "build" or "rebuild" something, we also reload. We don't have to go through all those years of sucking like most other teams have to to try and field a championship caliber team. Does it always work? No, but it sure beats sucking. Is it the way to go into the future? No, but I think a balance between the two absolutely is.

    I think for Cashman, it depends on what happens in the IFA market. There are reports we plan on spending big there, so hopefully something comes out of that. Problem is, with the final player of the 'Core 4', or if you prefer, 'Core 5' retiring, you can't look at them and expect something along the same lines. We may never see a group of guys like that come through the system at the same time. It truly was a blessing to see all of them play.

    Pitching is where most of our resources need to go to. If we have to drop cash on the open market to create an offense so be it, but we have to start developing our own pitching.
    Which is a perfectly fine and realistic strategy for the Yankees. Their scouting clearly hasn't been on par in recent years. They hype up all of these prospects and so many of them have not come close to panning out. I just wish they would put more resource in their scouting department.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Which is a perfectly fine and realistic strategy for the Yankees. Their scouting clearly hasn't been on par in recent years. They hype up all of these prospects and so many of them have not come close to panning out. I just wish they would put more resource in their scouting department.
    Which I think you'll see more of....but in the mean time, you will still see them spending to bridge the gap. One of the luxuries that not many teams across all sports have.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees

    47-47



    G: 83 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 25 | OBP: .324 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    the farm systme being inadequeate is not cahsmans fault. they aren't far enough away from the time of burning all top prospects in trades by the steinbrenners demands. the farm ssytem actaully isn't that bad, they kids are just a few eyars away. cash shouldnt be on the hot seat this year
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,769
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    Which I think you'll see more of....but in the mean time, you will still see them spending to bridge the gap. One of the luxuries that not many teams across all sports have.
    I'm definitely fine with their desire to spend in the international market. They've missed out on some pretty damn good players in recent years because of their fear of another Kei Igawa, who was basically signed as a counter move to the Red Sox signing Matsuzaka.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I'm definitely fine with their desire to spend in the international market. They've missed out on some pretty damn good players in recent years because of their fear of another Kei Igawa, who was basically signed as a counter move to the Red Sox signing Matsuzaka.
    Igawa was such a horrible move. It definitely was a counter of the Matsuzaka signing. I just could not see how he even compared, even before we signed him. I did hold out hope, but it didn't take long for that hope to dwindle away.

    What still gets me a little bit is not signing Cole.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees

    47-47



    G: 83 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 25 | OBP: .324 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,429
    vCash
    9155
    Igawa had some sweet sunglasses though

    I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,011
    vCash
    1500
    My problem isn't cashman so much, but the people he hires. They draft failures with their 1st round picks.

    (Previous 3 1st Round Picks before 2013)

    OF Slade Heathcott- Plays with an all out style that's infectious, but keeps hurting himself running into walls.. Just had shoulder surgery. etc.

    Cito Culver- Great glove. Can't hit to save his life.

    SS Dante Bichette Jr. - Great glove. Can't hit (At least he hit 11HR last year!! ) )

    RHP Ty Hensley- At the time GREAT value for the 30th pick. But an MRI showed an "abnormality" in his shoulder, but they still sign him. OK no problem... Then he gets hip surgery.. It never ends.. >.>

    --------------------------
    INCOMPLETE (2013 1st Round picks)

    3B Eric Jagielo-

    OF Aaron Judge-

    LHP- Ian Clarkin-


    I'm hoping our 2013 class succeeds but Oppenheimer still gets fired.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    18,331
    vCash
    1500
    I doubt Cashman will ever get the boot from his position. I think he has a close enough relationship with ownership that he would not be fired and let go that kind of public display.

    They will move him up and Eppler will become the GM.

    Masahiro Tanaka

    11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    My problem isn't cashman so much, but the people he hires. They draft failures with their 1st round picks.

    (Previous 3 1st Round Picks before 2013)

    OF Slade Heathcott- Plays with an all out style that's infectious, but keeps hurting himself running into walls.. Just had shoulder surgery. etc.

    Cito Culver- Great glove. Can't hit to save his life.

    SS Dante Bichette Jr. - Great glove. Can't hit (At least he hit 11HR last year!! ) )

    RHP Ty Hensley- At the time GREAT value for the 30th pick. But an MRI showed an "abnormality" in his shoulder, but they still sign him. OK no problem... Then he gets hip surgery.. It never ends.. >.>

    --------------------------
    INCOMPLETE (2013 1st Round picks)

    3B Eric Jagielo-

    OF Aaron Judge-

    LHP- Ian Clarkin-


    I'm hoping our 2013 class succeeds but Oppenheimer still gets fired.
    I think it's still too early to call those players failures. To be honest though, I have had zero faith in Bichette Jr. since the day they picked him. I thought it was a waste of a pick. Aside from him I think its early.

    Slade Heathcott might be someone you finally see a little of this year. I think we might get a little bit of an idea on him.

    Cito Culver, unless he learns to hit, could be just another Brendan Ryan. Then again we don't know yet. If he can makes adjustments and learn, why not?

    I like Judge. Although I think I see him more of a Ryan Church type.

    Jagielo is one guy I am gaining faith in. Him, Mason Williams and Sanchez I think have a good shot at being a new core among position players. Wishful thinking right now, but man I hope. I'm going to wait until this season to pass judgement on Austin.

    In terms of pitchers. I still love Banuelos, I think Betances, as I've said many times, will be the set up man come mid season. I like Depaula and Ramirez, but still need to see more. For all we know, they could be future bullpen pieces.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees

    47-47



    G: 83 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 25 | OBP: .324 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •