Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adding ONE Player

If you could add a single NBA player in their prime that had to bring the 2013/14 Celtics to the Finals, who would it be?

Any player EVER - past or current.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyoverrated View Post
    If you could add a single NBA player in their prime that had to bring the 2013/14 Celtics to the Finals, who would it be?

Any player EVER - past or current.
    Jordan...no question. Not sure this is a C's forum question, though.

However a big man is typically the easiest was to build around...looking at league history.

If I was starting a team right now, present day with present day players I'd take Durant.
    El Presidente

vCash
    This team in this league? It comes down to Jordan probably, maybe KAJ.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Prime Hakeem or Prime Duncan. Id love to go with Shaq but he and Rondo at the end of games would be horrendous at the line
    UNC players with NBA Rings - 14

Duke players with NBA Rings - 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by celtNYpatsHeels View Post
    Prime Hakeem or Prime Duncan. Id love to go with Shaq but he and Rondo at the end of games would be horrendous at the line
    I thought about those guys. Hakeem and TD both didn't hog the ball enough, this team needs high efficiency and very high scoring to actually win. With the Centers today, KAJ could drop 40 every night, even if he was a bit lesser on the D.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Bill Russell - the man won two state high school championships, two NCAA championships and 11 NBA championships in 13 years. He defines "winning" and the NBA trophy should be named in his honor.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Bill Russell - the man won two state high school championships, two NCAA championships and 11 NBA championships in 13 years. He defines "winning" and the NBA trophy should be named in his honor.
    In todays league he's not even a 30 MPG+ starter no matter what you think his peak is. Try and be serious...

vCash
    I'd love to say Bird or Russell, but how you turn down his Airness?

vCash
    Prime Shaq...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    With this roster?

It'd be hard to pass up on KAJ.

We'd still be bad at the bigs if we had MJ...even though he's MJ. MJ and Rondo paired would make Rondo pretty useless.

In his prime, he averaged 35/17/5, and won an MVP. I just think he'd make this specific roster better than MJ could.

vCash
    Lebron. He took that cavs team to the finals and hes carried the remains of d wade and bosh to two rings. I realizes big man are more of a need but i believe Bron can take any team in the league to minimum conference finals alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jim51990 View Post
    Lebron. He took that cavs team to the finals and hes carried the remains of d wade and bosh to two rings. I realizes big man are more of a need but i believe Bron can take any team in the league to minimum conference finals alone.
    I agree. I've never seen anyone else do as much with so little around him (not that Heat are complete scrubs). The Cavs team he took to the finals was the worst team I've seen in the finals (the AI 76ers a close second). Yes, the East was weak. But that team was a lottery team without him. If the 2013-14 C's played that Cavs team (minus LeBron) 100 times, i expect they would win a solid 65 of those games.

Now, let's not get my opinion confused with me actually LIKING LeBron, though.

vCash
    I agree. I've never seen anyone else do as much with so little around him (not that Heat are complete scrubs). The Cavs team he took to the finals was the worst team I've seen in the finals (the AI 76ers a close second). Yes, the East was weak. But that team was a lottery team without him. If the 2013-14 C's played that Cavs team (minus LeBron) 100 times, i expect they would win a solid 65 of those games.

Now, let's not get my opinion confused with me actually LIKING LeBron, though.
    It's a bit early for most, but Jabbar had years for the Bucks that were ahead of anything anybody else ever did in terms of dominating a team. James, Wilt and Jordan have years nearly as good, but not this great.

34.8/16.6/4.6 in '71-'72, a few years later in the playoffs in '76-'77: 34.6/17.7/4.1/3.5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It's a bit early for most, but Jabbar had years for the Bucks that were ahead of anything anybody else ever did in terms of dominating a team. James, Wilt and Jordan have years nearly as good, but not this great.

34.8/16.6/4.6 in '71-'72, a few years later in the playoffs in '76-'77: 34.6/17.7/4.1/3.5
    Those stats are amazing. But I have a few issues with players that played that far back.

1. I can't honestly assess them as I wasn't born yet - while i'll watch an occasional ESPN classic, I would be full of crap to pretend i could hold a valid opinion. So by default, I'm unqualified to recommend someone from back then.

2. While he may have dominated that era, i think athletes across the board have improved their physical capacity. This includes training, sports medicine, nutrition, equipment, PEDs, etc.
    Jabbar may have had a summer job through high school, while most of these current kids are in 24/7 basketball boot camps (for example).

vCash
    Those stats are amazing. But I have a few issues with players that played that far back.

1. I can't honestly assess them as I wasn't born yet - while i'll watch an occasional ESPN classic, I would be full of crap to pretend i could hold a valid opinion. So by default, I'm unqualified to recommend someone from back then.

2. While he may have dominated that era, i think athletes across the board have improved their physical capacity. This includes training, sports medicine, nutrition, equipment, PEDs, etc.
    Jabbar may have had a summer job through high school, while most of these current kids are in 24/7 basketball boot camps (for example).
    I saw his entire career. The 70's was a weak era, but the 80's was not, and he was winning MVP's and titles all over the place into the mid 80's.

If there were some actual good centers now I'd be concerned too, but this era is very weak with actual centers. Dwight might give him some issues with his strength, but in other ways KAJ would dominate him and the rest of them. Dwight couldn't lay a hand on KAJ's hook. KAJ would at once be the most dominant big on D.

If you worry about him, prime Shaq when he still played D or prime Hakeem are probably the other two choices at Center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast