Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

NFL player evaluation

With the offseason process getting rolling, I wanted to get some opinions from PSD on your NFL player evaluation process.

For those of you who like to mock draft, scout the college talent etc.
    How do you evaluate players for certain NFL positions and team needs? What do you look for in a player to determine if he fits a particular NFL position? And who have you been right about in your evaluations? Who do you think will be an immediate impact at the next level out of the 2014 draft? ROY, DROY, OROY....

For me I'd like to see more scrimmages in full pads between the prospective draft class players. But I know that will never happen.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    I read tons of websites from fake football scouts who often just mimic each other then form a consensus opinion based off that. I also watch very short YouTube highlight reels. The better the editor of those highlight videos, more than likely the better the player.

I actually used to have something like this written up for QB's and WRs and that we used in our forum, but it's long gone. There's actually great info on this out on the web from guys if you look hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized:27996681
    I read tons of websites from fake football scouts who often just mimic each other then form a consensus opinion based off that. I also watch very short YouTube highlight reels. The better the editor of those highlight videos, more than likely the better the player.

I actually used to have something like this written up for QB's and WRs and that we used in our forum, but it's long gone. There's actually great info on this out on the web from guys if you look hard.
    I will give you a big shout out for predicting Keenan Allen the way you did last year.

With that being said, I like players that are FLUID. Keenan is a great example of fluidity. It is fun to watch when the game comes natural and game speed outweighs the measurables (Jerry Rice).

I also prefer Dlinemen that eat up blockers. If I am seeing constant double teams, or triple teams in some cases at the college level, then I want the Dlineman eating up the space.
    Last edited by blakersburris; 02-19-2014 at 03:22 AM.

vCash
    First of all, what is meant by “player evaluations”? I expect it means different things to different people. Unless someone watches hundreds of college games a year and many hours of game tape and breaks it down, is what they do really a player evaluation? Or, is it more of a player familiarization?

Anyway, I wouldn’t know any of these guys from a hole in the snow. I don’t watch college football. I might watch some of the cut-ups on YouTube as “NormSized” indicated he does. I will pull a few of the rating “lists” from some of the top guys (Mayock, Brooks, Mcshay). So, heading into the combine I do very little other than pull a list. I will watch some of the combine. After the combine and that little familiarization, I might start looking at some of the YouTube stuff. I won’t look at another list until a week or 2 before the draft when all the pro days and crime have their final effect on placement. Then, I will take a look at a few more players that the top guys believe the Patriots will draft. I watch some of the draft, though not all. Once the Patriots draft a guy, I will check out a YouTube on him and his college stats. I will also check out YouTube on the AFC-East teams top 2 or 3 round selections.

I expect others processes are far more elaborate.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Wouldn't it be easier.....well more effective if each draft class played each other in pads more often before the draft?

I don't know that scouting a player based off of college games is a better indication of talent than scouting the NFL draft class against each other. Evident in the way a player stock can rise or fall after the East West or Senior bowl. But I just think we could benefit from more scrimmages.

I hate busts but I also hate it when a 1st rd pick flops and a 5th round pick hits but the guy wasn't given the proper evaluation due to the limitations of the eval process.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    First of all, what is meant by “player evaluations”? I expect it means different things to different people. Unless someone watches hundreds of college games a year and many hours of game tape and breaks it down, is what they do really a player evaluation? Or, is it more of a player familiarization?

Anyway, I wouldn’t know any of these guys from a hole in the snow. I don’t watch college football. I might watch some of the cut-ups on YouTube as “NormSized” indicated he does. I will pull a few of the rating “lists” from some of the top guys (Mayock, Brooks, Mcshay). So, heading into the combine I do very little other than pull a list. I will watch some of the combine. After the combine and that little familiarization, I might start looking at some of the YouTube stuff. I won’t look at another list until a week or 2 before the draft when all the pro days and crime have their final effect on placement. Then, I will take a look at a few more players that the top guys believe the Patriots will draft. I watch some of the draft, though not all. Once the Patriots draft a guy, I will check out a YouTube on him and his college stats. I will also check out YouTube on the AFC-East teams top 2 or 3 round selections.

I expect others processes are far more elaborate.
    True I think when a team evaluates a player that's essentially what they intend to do familiarize themselves with the player on field and off.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSized View Post

Yea its nice to get the opinions of educated fans some of the guys are so close to the NFL biz they are all almost the same in what they say.

That QB WR write up sounds like a good read.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    True I think when a team evaluates a player that's essentially what they intend to do familiarize themselves with the player on field and off.
    I disagree. I expect teams really have an idea of who a player is based on a staff of guys doing a real evaluation.

The Patriots have a grading system. They grade 100s of players. A few years ago Nick Caserio gave an interview on the process. I tried to find it on Patriots.com but it is no longer available. But, the point is, it is far more extensive than anything we could do and one could argue more extensive than Mayock or Brooks or Mcshay. I am going to contact Patriots.com and see if they can dig the old interview up and make it available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    Yea its nice to get the opinions of educated fans some of the guys are so close to the NFL biz they are all almost the same in what they say.

That QB WR write up sounds like a good read.
    It was basically stolen from other websites.

We were doing a little Packers scouting group thing ages ago, that's why I made it.

vCash
    BTW, who in the media do you use for your draft stuff? Mayock? Brooks? Mcshay? Anyone else? Someone local?

Further, who do you ignore?

vCash
    BTW, who in the media do you use for your draft stuff? Mayock? Brooks? Mcshay? Anyone else? Someone local?

I like Brooks.

I hate Mayock for his mocks and terms, but his analysis is actually good.

McShay is......ok. He was top notch, but like all ESPN insiders his balls are in a special case.
    Coulson Lives

vCash

Hate Kiper. He sucks. Really an idiot.

Mcshay isn't bad

I like brooks and mayock give good analysis like war said

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc:28008568

Mayock is good. I like Charles Davis too. But the Godfather Gil Brandt is who I trust most him and anything John Madden says about football in general.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Believe it or not but I posted it in the Saints forum theres statistics that show McShays mocks are the most accurate over the past few seasons.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    I contacted Patriots.com and asked them to make this available.

If you want to really know how players are graded, here is a piece of video that tells he story. This is Nick Caserio, Director of Player Personnel from the New England Patriots from a 2011 conference. There is nothing I have seen that tells the story of the process better. The fact that it is 2011 and references some players is actually beneficial.

It is worth your time.

link