Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Spring Training 2014

Saw someone mention it in another thread so we mine as well start one. Post all things related to spring training in this thread. I can't wait for the first game.

vCash
    Might as well put this to good use then.

Matt Gamel released due to reinjuring his knee

Shame..would of been a nice lefty option from the bench. Banking on Ramiro..

Then we have some TV schedules..

The Braves’ spring-training TV schedule includes games on SportsSouth against the Cardinals on March 13, the Tigers on March 21 and March 27, and the Red Sox on March 22; on Fox Sports South March 23 vs. the Mets and March 24 vs. the Astros, and on ESPN March 25 vs. the Tigers.

Additional games will be carried on MLB Network and MLB.com, but that schedule had not been released.
    ajc

Then we have Wood ready to earn a starting role

As long as Brandon Beachy is healthy, the Braves will have only one opening in the rotation to start the season, and they have Gavin Floyd expected to come off the disabled list and take a rotation spot as soon as May after completing his rehab from Tommy John surgery.

Wood and veteran Freddy Garcia are leading candidates for the open rotation spot to begin the season, and either could be used in the rotation or bullpen. The Braves only have one lefty reliever, Luis Avilan, until Jonny Venters returns from the disabled list, mostly likely in late May or June after completing rehab from a second TJ surgery.
    ajc

If we're going to monitor the kids innings..might as well get him his innings early on then get him back in the pen (if needed). Easier to transition from back to pen from starting than going from the pen to start. Wood vs Garcia?? Come on now..Garcia is an emergency of emergency starters...Wood has the upside and talent. Develop him. Hopefully, Butcher can provide a solid ST outing to be that other lefty from the pen..

vCash
    Garcia is a LR. I think he's perfect for that role. No need to start, but Fredi may want another LHP in the bullpen.

vCash
    I saw a video of BJ taking batting practice the other day, his swing looks quite more simple.

5. 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM
    Reason
    spam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    Garcia is a LR. I think he's perfect for that role. No need to start, but Fredi may want another LHP in the bullpen.
    Which is where Ryan Buchter comes in. If he holds up to his recent success (and rather dramatic improvement)..that spot is his. Walks quite a few guys though..but if there is anything McDowell can do..he can work with relievers that practically came out of nowhere and turn them into something (Carpenter/Avilan..)

A nice little read on Buchter

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I saw a video of BJ taking batting practice the other day, his swing looks quite more simple.
    Referring to this?. Got to see him up against live pitching in order to get any confidence..still got that feeling he'll just revert back to his everything moves but the ball style. We sure can use some positive consistency from him though...aside from the top 3 (J-hey/J-up/Freeman), who themselves have gone through lengthy stretches of boom or bust (mainly J-hey and J-up), we're possibly looking at a giant hole from #4-#8.

EOB is going to give you plenty of power..but if he's not smashing..what else is he doing? That OBP is not encouraging. Chris had an incredible year..but can the BABIP god keep it up? Have to expect some kind of regression. If he continues hitting line drives all over the place like Freeman does..then I'll feel much more comfortable. We all know the story with Uggs and B.J....and then we have Simba who we'll see if he takes the next step offensively.

If we can buy into the approach that we had in the Dodger series...we'll be more than fine. That gritty style is going to pay off..they just have to buy into it.

vCash
    ^ yeah, I was thinking about a possible opening day lineup and I really don't know the best way to put it. Fredi wants Heyward hitting first, and EOB hitting 4th in the order, Freeman is set as the number three hitter, the question is where will he hit Jupton? If he wants him in the number two spot I think it will create a big hole as you said, using him as the number 4 hitter and move down one spot everyone else will make the lineup larger, the thing is that we don't have a player that I feel confident using in the number two spot, CJ is way too slow and he could be hitting into a ton of double plays but even with that issue I think he will be the best choice, Simmons and BJ are low OBP guys and Uggla is not that type of a hitter, so Fredi should really give the lineup a thought.

vCash
    About a week away from the first game, it's about that time again!
    Last edited by NBA_Starter; 02-19-2014 at 04:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    ^ yeah, I was thinking about a possible opening day lineup and I really don't know the best way to put it. Fredi wants Heyward hitting first, and EOB hitting 4th in the order, Freeman is set as the number three hitter, the question is where will he hit Jupton? If he wants him in the number two spot I think it will create a big hole as you said, using him as the number 4 hitter and move down one spot everyone else will make the lineup larger, the thing is that we don't have a player that I feel confident using in the number two spot, CJ is way too slow and he could be hitting into a ton of double plays but even with that issue I think he will be the best choice, Simmons and BJ are low OBP guys and Uggla is not that type of a hitter, so Fredi should really give the lineup a thought.
    Well..if Uggs doesn't cut it and LaStella keeps up his progress...he's pretty much the ideal #2..even though it will take Fredi time to buy into him being #2.

Frankly, I'm cool with a J-hey/J-up/Freeman/EOB top 4..all the best hitters are at the top. Chris could be used as the #4 though with his success with RISP...of course it all depends on how effective chris is.

vCash
    If Uggla can get his OBP back in the .330-.340 range, I could live with him batting second. I don't think Fredi would ever do it.

Heyward
    J Upton
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Johnson
    Simmons
    Uggla
    BJ Upton

Pretty sure it's something like that, though Simmons could be used to break up Uggla and Upton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID:27996498
    Which is where Ryan Buchter comes in. If he holds up to his recent success (and rather dramatic improvement)..that spot is his. Walks quite a few guys though..but if there is anything McDowell can do..he can work with relievers that practically came out of nowhere and turn them into something (Carpenter/Avilan..)

A nice little read
    That was a good read. Another high K pitcher with Kimbrel and Walden would be great.

vCash
    If Uggla can get his OBP back in the .330-.340 range, I could live with him batting second. I don't think Fredi would ever do it.

Heyward
    J Upton
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Johnson
    Simmons
    Uggla
    BJ Upton

Pretty sure it's something like that, though Simmons could be used to break up Uggla and Upton.
    5 straight right handed hitters, I just hope Simmons or BJ perform well so we can use Heyward in the middle of the order to separate those right handed hitters.

vCash
    I dont see Heyward being moved from #1. He was a major catalyst last year as the leadoff hitter.

I actually thinks Simmons may be the guy to move to the 2 hole. His last 3 months last year were all +.300 OBP and two of them were +.800 OPS. If he can co tongue to improve this season, he could be a good fit at 2......or at least serviceable.

Heyward
    Simmons
    Freeman
    J Upton
    Gattis
    Johnson
    Uggla
    BJ

I could live with that for the first few weeks to see how it goes.

vCash
    he was ok last year. he wasn't enough of a 'catalyst' to earn him more than a middling 2 year contract.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Hahaha

Hahaha

If you believe g believe is why he got a 2 year contract that is all I have to say. I think it is entirely clear that ATL would happily lock-up Heyward long term if he was willing to sign a contract that ate-up some FA years.

ATL offense was much improved with Jason at leadoff. And I have never supported him batting there, so I am not even championing something I liked/supported.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    he was ok last year. he wasn't enough of a 'catalyst' to earn him more than a middling 2 year contract.
    He hit .322/.403/.551 while batting first so yeah he was a catalyst, I want to see Heyward steal some bases this year though.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast