Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Draft Pick Compensation Question

With regards to a player who turns down a qualifying offer, and the draft pick a team must surrender should they sign such a player, does anyone know if there is an expiration date on that draft pick compensation?

For example, let's say Nelson Cruz does not get signed until next season (unlikely, I know). Would the team that signs him still have to give up a draft pick, even if it's 2015?

vCash
    It's really simple. If a QO FA like Kendry Morales goes unsigned this offseason, he has a compensation pick attached to him till that June's draft. After said draft is over, he can sign anywhere without his former team getting a compensatory 1st round pick and the team that signs him won't give up a pick of their own (whether that's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc).
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-18-2014 at 04:47 AM.

vCash
    I'm not sure if they put an expiriation date on it or not.. I know the old CBA didn't have an expiration date... if you signed after the june draft, they got a pick the following season.

It might expire with the draft or it may expire after the season... or it may not at all.. it is a good question though... not that if I was a player like Cruz, I'd want to sit out half the season or more to find out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    I'm not sure if they put an expiriation date on it or not.. I know the old CBA didn't have an expiration date... if you signed after the june draft, they got a pick the following season.

It might expire with the draft or it may expire after the season... or it may not at all.. it is a good question though... not that if I was a player like Cruz, I'd want to sit out half the season or more to find out.
    Nope it expires after the draft.

http://prospectinsider.com/updated-m...t-order-142014

After all, this is what happened to players like Kyle Lohse and Michael Bourn last offseason. It has even been suggested that players like Drew might be better of waiting until after the draft to sign a contract, thus avoiding the compensation attached to them. While this is probably unlikely, it speaks to volume of importance that draft pick compensation plays in affecting a player’s value.
    So if guys like Drew or Morales wait that long to sign, their former teams (Seattle and Boston) will not receive a 1st round compensation pick.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-18-2014 at 04:45 AM.

vCash
    There are a lot of issues with the qualifying offer program for MLB Free Agents, but the biggest issue is how it impacts the fairness of the contracts of the ones that receive the QO’s. Some of these want multi-year deals and won’t sign for one year at the average salary of the top 125 players. Then there ability to get a contract is hindered by the first round pick requirement.
    I propose a process in which the QO is for either a 1, 2 or 3 year offer at avg of top 125 200 and 250 players, respectively. The avg salary for 125 top earners was >$14 million this year. Let’s say for the top 200 players, it is $12 million and 250 players, it is $10 million and can be accepted at the player’s discretion. This would not be an issue for a team that had a player of Cano’s talent.
    However, if the Red Sox really want a first round pick for Stephen Drew, then under this type of system, they must be willing to go $14 million for one year, $24 million for 2 years or $30 million for 3 years. This would prevent a team from offering a one year deal that they know the player won’t take just to get the first round pick and would be fairer to the player.
    A tiered system could also be established for 2nd round and third round picks at lower compensation and years. Perhaps a choice of one and two year contracts nets at $12 million and $20 million, respectively nets a 2nd round pick and a simple one year offer at $10 million nets a third round pick.
    Plus to make it even fairer, a player could be offered this only once during his consecutive service with the same team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Nope it expires after the draft.

http://prospectinsider.com/updated-m...t-order-142014

So if guys like Drew or Morales wait that long to sign, their former teams (Seattle and Boston) will not receive a 1st round compensation pick.
    Yeah, why take a mediocre offer on opening day when you could get a much better offer in 2 months. Besides by that point you will be able to choose between the most competitive teams, and for Drew especially there is bound to be a team that is desperate for a SS or 2b or 3b.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Yeah, why take a mediocre offer on opening day when you could get a much better offer in 2 months. Besides by that point you will be able to choose between the most competitive teams, and for Drew especially there is bound to be a team that is desperate for a SS or 2b or 3b.
    I can think of one who needs help at those spots big time.

Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    There are a lot of issues with the qualifying offer program for MLB Free Agents, but the biggest issue is how it impacts the fairness of the contracts of the ones that receive the QO’s. Some of these want multi-year deals and won’t sign for one year at the average salary of the top 125 players. Then there ability to get a contract is hindered by the first round pick requirement.
    I propose a process in which the QO is for either a 1, 2 or 3 year offer at avg of top 125 200 and 250 players, respectively. The avg salary for 125 top earners was >$14 million this year. Let’s say for the top 200 players, it is $12 million and 250 players, it is $10 million and can be accepted at the player’s discretion. This would not be an issue for a team that had a player of Cano’s talent.
    However, if the Red Sox really want a first round pick for Stephen Drew, then under this type of system, they must be willing to go $14 million for one year, $24 million for 2 years or $30 million for 3 years. This would prevent a team from offering a one year deal that they know the player won’t take just to get the first round pick and would be fairer to the player.
    A tiered system could also be established for 2nd round and third round picks at lower compensation and years. Perhaps a choice of one and two year contracts nets at $12 million and $20 million, respectively nets a 2nd round pick and a simple one year offer at $10 million nets a third round pick.
    Plus to make it even fairer, a player could be offered this only once during his consecutive service with the same team.
    The entire problem with the QO system is pure and simply ..... GREED...

We know the Robbie Cano's and Jacoby Ellsburys were going to get their money... draft pick be dammed.. but Stephen Drew shocked the GM world by even getting the QO... other GM's had him rated between 8-10 mil/year... This is a case where an agent ASSUMED that Boston offered 14.1, I can get more on the open market..... WRONG ANSWER... Drew should have accepted the QO and realized that he's getting paid ~80% more than expected anyway.. But then if he accepted, he would not have been able to go for the 4-5 year deal... So...take the money and laugh and you would be in camp right now...

Morales is in a similar boat because of injury issues.. he's too close to actually being worth the QO and nobody wants to give up a draft pick for him... He should have just taken the guaranteed money and ran laughing to the bank... instead, like Drew he got greedy and gambled... and lost.

The thing is, the agents have to begin to realize just where that line is where they should take the QO and not try to be greedy. In the case of Drew, Boston had no plans to resign, they wanted the pick and over reached with a QO... Drew and his agent got greedy, so now they are sitting on the sidelines watching..Since when does turning the QO down always benefit the player? In this case, Drew accepting the QO would have benefited the player and hurt the team... enough that going forward GM's would think twice before offering a player like Drew a QO... because they may just accept it when you didn't want them to...

vCash
    What's the draft looking like for us this year?
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash
    I have zero clue why Morales turned down the QO. He's a solid, but unspectacular DH who can kind of fake 1B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
    I have zero clue why Morales turned down the QO. He's a solid, but unspectacular DH who can kind of fake 1B.
    If you don't have a clue, you're not paying attention... It was greed... The agents always believe they can do better on the open market... They will learn when to take the money and run rather than try to go for more...

It's really like an episode of "Let's make a deal!".... You have something decent in your and an you get asked if you want to keep it, or trade it for what's behind door #1.... Well.. as per the show, sometimes the door is better, and sometimes... it SUCKS...

Up to this point, it's all been better behind the door.. well, these two should have kept what they originally had... they got bit by the greed bug..

vCash
    If you don't have a clue, you're not paying attention... It was greed... The agents always believe they can do better on the open market... They will learn when to take the money and run rather than try to go for more...

It's really like an episode of "Let's make a deal!".... You have something decent in your and an you get asked if you want to keep it, or trade it for what's behind door #1.... Well.. as per the show, sometimes the door is better, and sometimes... it SUCKS...

Up to this point, it's all been better behind the door.. well, these two should have kept what they originally had... they got bit by the greed bug..
    I like it better when you rip apart your own posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza:27996222

I like it better when you rip apart your own posts.

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    Your first pick I believe is in the 2nd round.

The Yankees gave up their first round pick for signing McCann and I believe both compensation picks for signing Beltran and Ellsbury which counterbalances the picks they got for letting Cano and Granderson walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    cant be that good since we lost picks for mccann and ellsbury
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast