Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: So which of these teams will return to becoming a contender first?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boston Celtics

28 37.84%
  • Brooklyn Nets

5 6.76%
  • Los Angeles Lakers

30 40.54%
  • New York Knicks

11 14.86%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which team out of the Celtics, Knicks, LAL & Nets will become contenders first?

Brooklyn and NY are 2 of the biggest markets out there and the Lakers and Celtics are the two best teams in NBA history.

All 4 teams are in bad shape this year but which of these teams do you think will return to being contenders first?

The Celtics have the best GM out of this group and they have the most picks and a superstar in Rondo and some really good young role player in Avery Bradley. Youngsters like Sullinger are also nice to have.

Lakers have the worst HC out of this group. Their own pick this season looks to be very promising. They don't have their pick for next season and don't own any additional picks from any other teams either.

Nets have the worst GM out of this group. They also don't have a 1st rd pick in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Their only pick in the next 4 years is the 2015 one which can be swapped with the Hawks so they will get the worse one.

Knicks have one of the worst GMs in the NBA. They also don't have a 2014 or 2016 first round pick. Their only 1st rd pick in the next 3 years is the 2015 first rd pick.

*I did not include the details of cap space for each teams because I am unsure about it. If you know the details of each team's cap space, feel free to post it and I may edit the OP with your info.

Should be noted that cap space isn't everything as contending teams usually have to have a good HC, good GM and at least one very good superstar player which was drafted by the team in contention itself...Houston is the only contending team this year that's an exception to this.

Knicks fans, Lakers fans, Celtics fans and Nets fans...please try to be objective in your vote so you don't ruin the poll. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sunsfan88; 02-17-2014 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    That's a tough one. I'm going to say Boston b/c their GM>>>>>>>>
    OPERATION "BOOM!"
    THE BLOW UP WILL BE TELEVISED

King Phil's entrance music
    I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    The Nets
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    Celtics they have picks and a great GM

vCash
    I agree with yall, I'm picking Boston as well. Its crazy to think that they still have Rondo who they can use to acquire even more assets.

vCash
    Celtics:

They play in the ****** east
    They aren't killed in the cap/picks for the next few years like the other 2 east choices

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    I'm guessing LAL, BOS,.........,BKN~NYK.

Boston are in by far the best position right now in terms of the usual stuff, ie by virtue of having the best assets (ie Rondo and like a million picks). They're in a great rebuilding position. That would put them in the lead by far, except for that no matter what your assets are, it's still tough to get that top level guy that will get you there, especially if they hold onto Rondo. LAL are in a pretty awful situation for most teams, but they have upcoming cap room, all the money in the world, and that prestige and market that means they just might be able to sign a star and jumpstart the process. It's not going to be nearly as automatic or easy as their fans think, and they're unlikely to get the kind of guy (or combination of guys) that actually gets them to a title, but you can build something of a contender that way. That's the only reason they're ahead of Boston - they have the big FA advantage, while Boston's path still depends on a lot of luck like everyone else.

BKN and NYK are in a whole different category. They're at the point in the process where it's going to take a few painful years just to get to the bottom, let alone start on the way back up again. It also seems like neither owner or GM has the patience to actually do it in the way that gives them a chance, so even if they got on the right path they might just jump back off again.
    On paper NYK could be ahead if they had competent management - they could try and get a return for Melo, their pick situation isn't quite as bad as BKN, and they have one less year of immovable cap hell. They should be in a better position. But Brooklyn have the advantage of having one potential future piece in Lopez (while NYK only have future role players), and you get the feeling they're less likely to stick for too long with what doesn't work (I'm talking Billy King here). So it's hard to say. My instinct was to put Brooklyn ahead of NYK, but if you factor in where NYK could be with one or two good decisions, I think you have to put them about equal.

Overall it isn't good for any of them, though. If you see the average NBA building and busting process as a wave up and down, Boston are pretty much at the downturn at the bottom, ready to get some pieces and head on back up, LAL are still just getting down to that point but still have a trump card that could bring them back up the other side more quickly than usual, while NYK and BKN are still way up their previous upswing, only the problem is their upswings weren't high enough, they can't get down, and even when they do they might have to oscillate a little while the backlog of awful clears out.

vCash
    wait.. we (lakers) don't have a 1st round pick in the draft? why are we tanking then? can someone confirm this

Stern is the new Mcmahon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MTar786 View Post
    wait.. we (lakers) don't have a 1st round pick in the draft? why are we tanking then? can someone confirm this
    Read the OP again but this time, do it very slowly and carefully. It will all make sense, I promise.

vCash
    Boston.

The two New York teams are gonna have to wait or sell off all their assets first before they move on from the mess they are in now.

I would go in this order:

Boston
    LA
    NYK
    Brooklyn

brooklyn might be a playoff contender this year but they sure aren't a championship contender. Boston's ready to start the rebuild now. LA is next. NYK and Brooklyn have some big contracts that aren't helping them now they need to get rid of or wait for them to end. but thats just from a surface perspective.

vCash
    1. Boston. The team has quite a few young pieces who could develop into good players. They have Rondo, who can either facilitate the development of the young pieces, or in worst case scenario, deal out for more pieces. They also have a lot of future draft picks, including a bunch from the Brooklyn Nets, who don't exactly look like they are in a good condition for the future.

2. Lakers. If there was a year where a usual contending team would want things to go wrong, the Lakers might have picked the best one. In between their two unprotected first rounders going to Phoenix, they seem bound to be able to grab a prospect with 4-5 star potential in this draft (depending how the lottery goes for them). They also pretty much have everybody but Kobe come off the books for their team this offseason, giving the desired destination the ability to try and woo some players in the next couple years to play in the big city (E.g. Lebron, Bosh, Love, Iriving, etc).

3. New York. They might be losing their pick this season to the Nuggets from the Carmelo trade, and still owe the Nuggets (and Raptors) a few more, but the team would have a bunch of huge contracts coming off the books after next year. Just like the Lakers, they are in a basketball market, and could attempt to go after some future free agents. In my personal opinion (don't kill me Knick fans), I think they could vastly improve their situation by trading Carmelo. They could likely get a few prospects back or recover some first round picks or possibly both. It's better than nothing. I'm aware that he said that he might stay at a discount, but he also kinda contradicted himself in the same conversation. Regardless of what happens here, they are still in a much better position than the last team.

30. Nets. They have a bunch of old players with huge contracts. Joe Johnson and Deron Williams (Two players that appear to be on the decline, I have no idea WTF happened to Deron), take up roughly 40-45 million of the team's Salary, all they way up to the 2016-2017 season. What doesn't help is that they Owe the Hawks and the Celtics a bunch of unprotected picks for bringing in Pierce, KG, and Johnson, or have given the other team the ability to swap. I feel bad for Net Fans, who are used to seeing their high picks end with someone else (Kanter, Liliard) for pieces that are supposed to be what leads them to greatness (Williams, Wallace, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett). Now, they are likely to see at least another 1 or two lottery picks go to either their division rivals, or Atlanta. They have no space to go acquire a key FA, or a pick to grab a gem that might fall to them. While as Holly mentioned that they do potentially have a better piece than anything that the Knicks have in Brook Lopez, there are some serious issues with that as well. Brook has been injury prone, and a Big Man with bad foot/leg injuries is always horrifying. We all have seen the unfortunate end that Amar'e seems to be heading to. It's hard to tell whether or not that he'll be able to stay healthy for a season. Their best chance might be for Prokorov to bribe most of that team into retirement or something.
    Last edited by Cal827; 02-17-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

vCash
    Lakers have the worst HC out of this group. Their own pick this season looks to be very promising. They don't have their pick for next season and don't own any additional picks from any other teams either.*

QUOTE=sunsfan88;27986848]Read the OP again but this time, do it very slowly and carefully. It will all make sense, I promise.[/QUOTE]

I think you may need to followyour own advice...sad when you dont no what you typed youself lol
    If loving the raiders is wrong then I dont wanna be right!!!!!
    Prosportsdaily where we fight and cheer for the same team
    At the same time

vCash
    Boston they're young and have a great front office some picks plus whatever they get for Rondo. They also seem more focused on going through with a rebuild.

vCash
    Neither of the NY teams.. I'm leaning towards Boston, but you never know with Lakers.. They could pull some BS trade out of there *** and get good, quick.

vCash
    Lakers for sure

Boston is not going to attract star players for a while. I don't care how many picks they got. Lots of teams stay in the lottery for years even when they get the Irving's and Davis's let alone picks outside of the top 5. Just because you got picks doesn't mean your going to build the next OKC. Unless Boston drafts a star, Those picks probably won't make them any better than a Denver Nuggets squad.

Lakers can get a good player in the draft this year and pretty much sign stars the second they get back cap space. Nets and Knicks are just ran like crap.
    Last edited by RipCity32; 02-17-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast