Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ryan Dempster won't Pitch in 2014, forfeits $13.25MM Salary

Ryan Dempster won't pitch for the Red Sox in 2014 due to physical reasons and a desire to spend more time with his kids, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Ryan was entering the second year of a two year $26.5M contract, that paid him $13.25MM per season.

In 2013, Dempster posted a 4.57 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 29 starts and three relief appearances.

If The Red Sox place him on the restricted list as expected, the club will now have an additional $13.25MM of breathing room with regards to the luxury tax which would free them up to spend elsewhere.
    “I don’t feel like I am capable of performing to the ability and standard that I am accustomed to. I feel it’s in the best interest of both the club but most importantly myself to step away from playing baseball at this time," said the 36-year-old (via Twitter links). "The time is right. I’m not saying retirement but I definitely won’t be playing this season."
    Source- Mlbtr

After winning the WS.., the rich get richer.. $13.25MM was an overpay for a guy who posted a 4.57 ERA last year, and was turning 37 before next season.. The Red Sox got lucky because very rarely do athletes give up this type of money.

vCash
    posted in off-season thread

There is the Drew money if they want it.

A little surprised he would walk away...unless he felt he wasn't going to be used at all.

I can see him 'conveniently' coming back later in the year if they need him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

A little surprised he would walk away...unless he felt he wasn't going to be used at all.

Sorry Jeffy, you can merge it if you want

I don't see much players giving up this much salary so it was very surprising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    Source- Mlbtr

After winning the WS.., the rich get richer.. $13.25MM was an overpay for a guy who posted a 4.57 ERA last year, and was turning 37 before next season.. The Red Sox got lucky because very rarely do athletes give up this type of money.
    Look deeper into the stats. 20 innings were caught by Lavarnway, a AAAA catcher for over an 8+ ERA. Take those off and he was 3.90, about 103/104 ERA+. He pitched real well in two stretches when the Sox needed him to come through.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash

His daughter has a very serious condition. He's not ready to go either. I think we're talking an honorable family man here.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Even though it's 13.5 mill, he has made about 90 million, and after taxes, and paying his agent what is he really left with? 5-6 million?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Even though it's 13.5 mill, he has made about 90 million, and after taxes, and paying his agent what is he really left with? 5-6 million?
    Probably closer to 7

Taxes are about 40-45%, and then agent commish is about 3%

vCash
    I thought Dempster was very classy when he was demoted to a relief role. Good luck to him. This probably just an unofficial retirement. He gets a ring to go out.

vCash
    can never blame a guy for wanting more family time. good for him
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Good for him. Sox probably wish he would have done this early in the offseason

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanconMadness View Post
    Good for him. Sox probably wish he would have done this early in the offseason
    Possibly, but there probably wasn't very many people they would have wanted to spend $13 million on this offseason.

vCash
    Probably closer to 7

Taxes are about 40-45%, and then agent commish is about 3%
    Well it's weird, because you get taxed differently per state you play in. But I will take your word for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Possibly, but there probably wasn't very many people they would have wanted to spend $13 million on this offseason.
    Drew, but hes still there. I think they talked to Beltran, it was probably the 3rd year they balked at, not the money. McCann could have interested them. Not much though, your right. They are smart enough to stay away from dumb contracts like ellsbury and cano (won't include tanaka because there's no sample size to say what he'll be worth in MLB)

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by melanconmadness View Post
    drew, but hes still there. I think they talked to beltran, it was probably the 3rd year they balked at, not the money. mccann could have interested them. Not much though, your right. They are smart enough to stay away from dumb contracts like ellsbury and cano (won't include tanaka because there's no sample size to say what he'll be worth in mlb)
    there was no chance he wasnt going to the yankees. They would have matched any offer
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Shades of Gil Meche I see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast