Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Three Knicks earning their paychecks

By Ian Begley | February 16, 2014 11:00:51 AM PST
    The Knicks have the second-highest payroll in the NBA. They also have the ninth worst record in the NBA. So it would be fair to assume that none of their players are earning their paycheck this season. But that’s not necessarily true.

In an effort to take a break from the misery that’s been this Knicks season, we’d like to take a look at three guys who we think have earned their money thus far this year.

ESPN IMG
    Tim Hardaway Jr.
    #5 SG
    New York Knicks
    2014 STATS
    GM
    PPG
    RPG
    APG
    FG%
    FT%
    1. Tim Hardaway Jr.: Hardaway Jr.’s on his rookie contract, which makes him the 10th highest paid player on the team. But you can make an argument that he’s been the most valuable Knick behind Carmelo Anthony.

Hardaway Jr.’s per-game numbers don’t wow you: 9.2 points, 1.5 rebounds, 0.9 assists.

But if you look at his shooting percentages and extrapolate his numbers on a per 36 minute basis, Hardaway Jr. looks like a rising star.

He’s averaging 15.7 points per 36 minutes on 45 percent shooting. He’s also hitting 38.5 percent of his three-point attempts. Not bad for a guy who was taken 24th in the first round of the draft.

Who knows where this team would be without Hardaway Jr.? The Knicks’ other shooting guards have been inconsistent. Iman Shumpert hasn’t taken the leap on offense that many predicted. J.R. Smith started off slowly following offseason knee surgery but has played well of late. Hardaway Jr.'s been a consistent source of offense for most of the season.

ESPN IMG
    Jeremy Tyler
    #4 PF
    New York Knicks
    2014 STATS
    GM
    PPG
    RPG
    APG
    FG%
    FT%
    .5882. Jeremy Tyler: The sample size is relatively small, just 174 minutes. But Tyler's shown plenty of promise during his brief Knicks tenure. Just take a look at his statistical impact on the court. New York's rebounding rate -- a measure of available rebounds corralled -- improved by 14 percent when Tyler was on the floor. The Knicks are also scoring 13 more points per 100 possessions when Tyler's on the court.

Not bad.

His per-36 numbers are pretty impressive. Tyler's averaging 16.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per 36 minutes. He's hitting 55.6 percent of his field goals. Not bad for a guy making $560,000.

The guess here is that young guard Toure Murry could be making a similar impact if he was given regular minutes. It would also help if Mike Woodson didn't pull him every time he made a mistake.

ESPN IMG
    Carmelo Anthony
    #7 SF
    New York Knicks
    2014 STATS
    GM
    PPG
    RPG
    APG
    FG%
    FT%
    .8473. Carmelo Anthony: On one hand, it's hard to put Anthony on this list because he's making $21.4 million this season and his team is 12 games under .500. On the other hand, it's almost impossible to leave him off of it given the season he's having. It seems as if Anthony's given the Knicks his all night in and night out this year.

Carmelo's averaging 27.3 points per game, which is the second-highest total in the league. He's also pulling down a career-high 8.6 rebounds per night. Want more? He's shooting a carer high 84.7 percent from the free-throw line and his turnover rate -- a measure of possessions that end in a turnover -- is a career-low. Simply put, he's been extremely valuable for the Knicks. If you're looking to point the finger somewhere for New York's struggles, take a look at Anthony's supporting cast, not the man himself.
    http:// http://m.espn.go.com/general...rk&src=desktop

Only if the fans were this knowledgeable about the game

vCash
    Truth. Everyone else is underperforming where we pay them to be, and where we expect them to be. Sad that its two rookies making pennies and Melo, but it is what it is.

But lets blame Melo instead of Felton, Tyson, JR, Shump, Amare, Bargs and the rest of the shitheads we run him out there with.

vCash
    THJ has been great on offense but is a horrific defender in this league both one on one and in team defense. look at the kings game we lost in OT by 5 points. he was -28 in 38 minutes, the next lowest was Murry with -7, melo was +6 in 48 mins and shumps was +9 in 22. THJ is a nice piece for this team moving forward but he can't play heavy mins until he stops getting burned over and over again on defense.

vCash
    Well realistically... few other guys
    Pablo -doing exactly what he did last season

Bargnani -stats are pretty much what he was doing when we traded for him(even better).. not sure what we expected.. will never earn salary.. but FO should of never expected more- knew what they were getting

MWP and Beno - have not been given a chance so can't really say anything about them earning their paycheck

Cole and Torre - have actually done alright when asked to play.. for what they are getting paid

So basically it should be :
    Chandler(injury and age),Shump,Amare(but he is kind of the same as Bargs...we already knew what to expect), Kmart(injuries),jr(injuries and stupidity) and FELTON -- have under performed

Not much news here.. I would not say just 3 earning checks ..Prigs,torre,Cole doing whats expected and couple others getting no shot...considering Beno was supposed to be 3rd PG .. thought he did pretty well when asked to start.

Should of said "6 Core Rotation Players SUCK!"

vCash
    Prigs has earned his. So has Martin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    Prigs has earned his. So has Martin.
    I was gonna say the same thing....

vCash
    Disagree w/ Melo earning his salary this yr. Melo is the 4th highest paid player in the NBA this season. There is absolutely no way he should be making more money than players like Lebron, KD, CP3, and at least a handful of other players. Melo isn't a max player, he has the talent to be, but it just hasn't translated to his overall game. So I disagree with the notion that Melo has "earned" his salary this season.

Melo isn't the type of player you can build a team around while he takes up 40% + of the team's overall cap.

And we thought things couldn't get any worse, smh

vCash
    nice dig at Woody in the article about taking Toure out when he makes a mistake, if he did that with others, we would have two players on the court lol

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Truth. Everyone else is underperforming where we pay them to be, and where we expect them to be. Sad that its two rookies making pennies and Melo, but it is what it is.

But lets blame Melo instead of Felton, Tyson, JR, Shump, Amare, Bargs and the rest of the shitheads we run him out there with.
    LOL. Yeah, let's give Melo a pass for playing one side of the ball, and pretend that this is acceptable while real superstars are two-way players.

There's a reason Melo isn't in the conversation for being one of the best in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    LOL. Yeah, let's give Melo a pass for playing one side of the ball, and pretend that this is acceptable while real superstars are two-way players.

There's a reason Melo isn't in the conversation for being one of the best in the league.
    one thing I see is Melo is playing defense, what are you watching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post

How many superstars are in the league and are two way players

Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Chris Paul
    Only players I consider superstars

Everyone else are tier 2 stats
    Paul George
    Carmelo Anthony
    James harden

Just to name a few. Most offensive players are not even above average defense and some elite defenders like George are not decent offensive players

vCash
    I think coaching is the main issue here.. Woody's strategies do not match the talent on this roster and there lies the problem.. Better coaching can have this team in contention...
    The Dark Knight Rises to Save Gotham Once again..

vCash
    If woodson would give them enough burn, I'm Beno & Murry would have been on this list. STAT's injuries, lack of PT, and the way our offense is ran won't allow him to "earn" his salary, but when he's on the floor he has done well..
    "..complex mane dat love simple thangs."*S.L.uggeR*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bros89 View Post
    Disagree w/ Melo earning his salary this yr. Melo is the 4th highest paid player in the NBA this season. There is absolutely no way he should be making more money than players like Lebron, KD, CP3, and at least a handful of other players. Melo isn't a max player, he has the talent to be, but it just hasn't translated to his overall game. So I disagree with the notion that Melo has "earned" his salary this season.

Melo isn't the type of player you can build a team around while he takes up 40% + of the team's overall cap.
    they took pay cuts

vCash
    Melo stinks trade him lol

What a game, on fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast