Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Sam

vCash

Michael Sam

The New York Jets are the perfect place for Michael Sam. A Martin/Incognito situation would never take place here with Sheldon Richardson in the locker room. The media would get an erection if the Jets drafted Sam, but I think it would only make the Jets look good in the long run. The kid is talented, but the question is, how talented? Where should he be drafted, and where will he be drafted? We'll see after the combine and pro days. Thoughts?

vCash
    My thoughts are with Barnes returning, this position isn't that high a need and the Jets would be fine addressing a backup in the 4th round where Sam could be available. I think numerous teams will shy away from him and he's been listed as a 3rd-4th round prospect before this announcement.

I just don't know if this is the type of player Rex wants there or if he prefers a bigger player. We haven't seen a single prototypical 3-4 OLB drafted in Rex' 5 years here. That said, I think Sam could even play ILB as he's a little short to play outside.

Here are some comments on his abilities:

Considering his size, Sam is surprisingly effective in run defense. Can slip gaps due to his quickness to penetrate and make a big play behind the line of scrimmage and shows good power, knee bend to anchor and create a pile when run at. Good awareness, quickness and balance to recognize and defeat cut-blocks.

Occasionally asked to drop back in this scheme, showing awareness and at least fair fluidity. Active defender who searches the ball and pursues with passion.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 02-16-2014 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    I'm all for drafting the kid if he has talent but do we need any more of a distraction?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    I'm all for drafting the kid if he has talent but do we need any more of a distraction?
    Are you implying that we currently have distractions? I thought Idzik did a good job of cleaning house. No more circus articles...it's been peacefully quiet. The circus moved to Miami.
    Besides, you have his ex-roommate Richardson already standing up for him. Why not?
    I don't think this locker room is full of immature punks like they have in Miami. I can't see any reason why this can't work.

We can definitely cross Miami off the list.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 02-16-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    I think in a way he would remove distractions. With Sheldon in the locker room, it may galvanize the locker room... or completely implode it. I think he has a positive effect. I think he would be well received and I think the Jets would be a great place for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    My thoughts are with Barnes returning, this position isn't that high a need and the Jets would be fine addressing a backup in the 4th round where Sam could be available. I think numerous teams will shy away from him and he's been listed as a 3rd-4th round prospect before this announcement.

I just don't know if this is the type of player Rex wants there or if he prefers a bigger player. We haven't seen a single prototypical 3-4 OLB drafted in Rex' 5 years here. That said, I think Sam could even play ILB as he's a little short to play outside.

Here are some comments on his abilities:

Considering his size, Sam is surprisingly effective in run defense. Can slip gaps due to his quickness to penetrate and make a big play behind the line of scrimmage and shows good power, knee bend to anchor and create a pile when run at. Good awareness, quickness and balance to recognize and defeat cut-blocks.

Occasionally asked to drop back in this scheme, showing awareness and at least fair fluidity. Active defender who searches the ball and pursues with passion.

Is Pace gone this year? If he is, we may need that spot filled and I think Sam could do it. Even if Pace is back for a year, I think we have room for him. I hope Barnes returns to form but we won't know that for a while.
    Also, if Sam is as versatile as your post suggest (and I believe him to be) I think he would fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Is Pace gone this year? If he is, we may need that spot filled and I think Sam could do it. Even if Pace is back for a year, I think we have room for him. I hope Barnes returns to form but we won't know that for a while.
    Also, if Sam is as versatile as your post suggest (and I believe him to be) I think he would fit.
    I think the Jets will re-sign Pace as he is a FA. He's so good at sealing the edge on the run and had a very strong year in 2013. They would still have room for another player at OLB as we currently have McIntrye and Cunningham slated as OLB backups. Garrett is a FA.

vCash
    I am a little worried what with Demario Davis and others being so religious.

vCash
    I think the Jets will re-sign Pace as he is a FA. He's so good at sealing the edge on the run and had a very strong year in 2013. They would still have room for another player at OLB as we currently have McIntrye and Cunningham slated as OLB backups. Garrett is a FA.
    Right on. Pace had a crazy good year last season, he also looked faster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    Most religious types are actually very kind to people that are different than the views they hold to. But, what would be the point of the media reporting that, its not sensational enough to do a story about an evangelical and a homosexual becoming friends. They usually only report on the fringe weirdoes that act like idiots because that's where the popular story comes from.

vCash
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1340055

vCash
    As a Christian we care about people no matter what our differences are. It's the small extreme group that makes people think all Christians hate gays. That being said I think we will draft sam Rex been watching tape since they were scouting Sheldon Richardson and probably knows his skill set

vCash
    Are you implying that we currently have distractions? I thought Idzik did a good job of cleaning house. No more circus articles...it's been peacefully quiet. The circus moved to Miami.
    Besides, you have his ex-roommate Richardson already standing up for him. Why not?
    I don't think this locker room is full of immature punks like they have in Miami. I can't see any reason why this can't work.

We can definitely cross Miami off the list.

Media circus... not locker room circus. Some article will come out with the saying "player says this about Sam" Rumors will come up and that will be the topic of convo rather than Jets football. We playing in the NY media they will do anything to take anything out of context for a story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Most religious types are actually very kind to people that are different than the views they hold to. But, what would be the point of the media reporting that, its not sensational enough to do a story about an evangelical and a homosexual becoming friends. They usually only report on the fringe weirdoes that act like idiots because that's where the popular story comes from.
    I come from an open minded family but I know that's a half truth. Because of how religious a lot of them are and the fact that a lot of them have an old world view on things I have met and spoken with many people with those beliefs. And while most are very friendly to everyone they meet there are a Lot of religious/traditionalist families that's are far from accepting of any life style that stand out of line with their personal morals.

It tends to be better in NY but even some of the people from here are very closed minded.
    Last edited by aNYer; 02-16-2014 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    I come from an open minded family but I know that's a half truth. Because of how religious a lot of them are and the fact that a lot of them have an old world view on things I have met and spoken with many people with those beliefs. And while most are very friendly to everyone they meet there are a Lot of religious/traditionalist families that's are far from accepting of any life style that stand out of line with their personal morals.

It tends to be better in NY but even some of the people from here are very closed minded.
    Yeah my parents don't like gays.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast