Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Dempster Won't Pitch This Season

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal·3 mins
    BREAKING: Ryan Dempster will not pitch for #RedSox in 2014 due to physical reasons and his desire to spend more time with his kids.
    Jet's forum Banned 10/23/11

vCash
    $13mil to spend now if they want.
    Jet's forum Banned 10/23/11

vCash
    Yikes. Wonder what he is facing?

vCash
    Not much of anything to spend it on left in FA unless they bring back Drew. My guess is the money is banked until July and if they are in contention it will be nice to have that money to add players.

More importantly I hope everything is OK with him. I met him once at Wrigley and talked with my friend and I for like 30 minutes and he seems like a really nice guy.
    Bring back MacDime

vCash
    Gordon Edes ‏@GordonEdes now

Dempster was scheduled to meet with media today at 11. Was presented as routine. Now it may be retirement announcement

Boston Red Sox ‏@RedSox 9s

Ryan Dempster announces that he will not pitch in 2014. He will retire after 16 @MLB seasons.
    Last edited by Soxfan85; 02-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    Good on him! If he feels like he can't pitch then good! I wouldn't want a guy going out who wasn't confident in his abilities. We have plenty of depth and I'd love to see Workman get a shot anyways. This opens up money, and opens up some room for younger guys.
    Signature removed because **** is a dodging filter

vCash
    Wow, did not expect this.

vCash
    Thanks for helping us with the '13 WS! If he retires he retires with 1 ring.

vCash
    Well he earned his ring, so that's something. Now please bring back Drew. Personally, I am not confident in Middlebrooks at this point.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Good on him. He's a much better man than those who know they won't throw another pitch for the rest of their contract, but just go on the 60 day DL.

Also good thing we didn't trade a pitcher. We should probably look into signing a vet to a minor league deal, I don't know who's available. Our depth right now is

Lester
    Lackey
    Buchholz
    Peavy
    Doubront
    --
    Webster
    RDLR?
    Ranaudo
    Barnes

You can't count on Buchholz, Peavy, or Doubront pitching for the entire season. Webster has a high upside, but obviously completely unreliable right now. Same with RDLR, I figured he would start or move to the pen quick, but now they definitely have to keep trying him at SP. Barnes and Ranaudo are more far off and would need to tear it up in AAA to get a shot before the trade deadline.

I forgot about Workman, he probably will fill that Aceves type role. Stretch him out as a starter and he's probably the 6th SP in the bullpen during April.

vCash
    Vets that are available still

Barry Zito
    Chris Capuano
    Joe Saunders
    Johan Santana

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85:27983080

Barry Zito
    Chris Capuano
    Joe Saunders
    Johan Santana
    I wouldn't mind Cap or Saunders but the other two guys probably won't be worth the roster spot IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post

Barry Zito
    Chris Capuano
    Joe Saunders
    Johan Santana
    OK, no help there - I'd take Workman over any of those guys - maybe even w/o the price advantage.

Pay Drew for one year, promise not to impede him leaving. Move forward.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    His daughter has DiGeorge syndrome

vCash
    Wow, I was not expecting this. He probably would've had to pitch out of the bullpen if he played.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast