Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Countdown to buying...???

If DA's intention is to actually be a buyer at the deadline and not to pick up dead wood for the C's tradable assets (picks included), who would you want to see in Boston...???

Personally, I think every pick outside of the 3 future Brooklyn picks are on the table... And that is including this year's probable lottery pick...

I am still under the assumption DA wants Steven's to succeed now, even if that means getting to the 1st rd of the playoffs and getting swept... It sounds ridiculous to some, but any playoff revenue goes a long way for owners...

Detroit, Minny, NO, Sac, NY and Washington are some teams without a 14' 1st and the first 5 are out of the playoff hunt for now...

Some obvious names mentioned have been Monroe, Asik and Hayward... Any others...???
    Last edited by Forever35; 02-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Do we need another trade deadline thread??

I'd love to get Beal hehe

vCash
    Ya theres already a trade deadline and direction of the celtics thread this could be posted in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    If DA's intention is to actually be a buyer at the deadline and not to pick up dead wood for the C's tradable assets (picks included), who would you want to see in Boston...???

Personally, I think every pick outside of the 3 future Brooklyn picks are on the table... And that is including this year's probable lottery pick...

I am still under the assumption DA wants Steven's to succeed now, even if that means getting to the 1st rd of the playoffs and getting swept... It sounds ridiculous to some, but any playoff revenue goes a long way for owners...

Detroit, Minny, NO, Sac, NY and Washington are some teams without a 14' 1st and the first 5 are out of the playoff hunt for now...

Some obvious names mentioned have been Monroe, Asik and Hayward... Any others...???
    Playoff revenue sounds so good, in particular to owners in other cities where the lemmings keep coming unless the team has really broken faith with the fans.

But Boston? Boston is addicted to winners. Hockey and baseball have generally not been affected over the past 45 years when the teams are down. But the Pats drew very badly when they sucked, and didn't draw that well in the mid 70's, 80's, and 90's when they had better teams than usual. Things have changed for the Pats here since BB. The Celts have nothing like this since Bird retired, and no sign at the moment that we'll be there again in the near term.

Right now the fan base of the C's is the shakiest of the 4 Boston teams IMO, with more signs of declining interest than growing interest. Something has to change I think everyone can agree. What? Trader Danny was never going to sit on his trove of picks and just pick them. He was always going to bundle some up, so to me this isn't any important change in direction.

The question is, does he bundle guys with minimum trade value such as Hump, Bradley, Green, Bass; along with guys with moderate/higher trade value such as Rondo - for players and picks (some of the players not desirable to increase the value of the picks). Or does he only trade players to make contracts match up along with picks to pick up higher level talents such as Monroe?

So, if we deal for actual capable players, then it's a good move for the fan base and the near/mid term future of the team. Say Green and and the '15 Sac 1st and 2nd Celts 1st this year for Monroe and a stiff would be good (assuming Monroe signs an extension). Or a better player coming back and not a stiff, then we'd have to upgrade a pick to pull it off.

Also if Ainge hopes to score in the FA market, having say Monroe and another notable player on board to go with Sully, KO, and Rondo might actually draw some here - which is good.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    Ya theres already a trade deadline and direction of the celtics thread this could be posted in.
    Yes, there is a trade deadline thread. BUT, it has largely been dominated by discussion of the Great Sell-Off. If we're categorizing the discussion strictly by the title "Trade deadline", you're right. Otherwise, this is largely a whole other discussion.

I'm not big on trading for many current NBA players (that are available), but recognize Ainge will choose the route which best utilizes the current assets (picks/players).

Monroe looks like a good fit. I'd be curious about what Philly would want for Nerlens Noel, too! What happens if Philly is traded back their own conditional pick - will that cause a wrinkle in time?

vCash
    Celtics Trade - Jeff Green, Brandon Bass
    Celtics Receive - Greg Monroe, Evan Turner

76ers Trade- Evan Turner, Lavoy Allen
    76ers Receive- Josh Smith, Brandon Bass

Pistons Trade- Greg Monroe, Josh Smith
    Pistons Receive- Jeff Green, Lavoy Allen

Celtics will then have some solid players to make the rebuilding around Rondo an easier transition for the time being; it's more concrete now than just a thought. Rondo is obviously a top 20 player in the league and makes it easier for players to get in the right position to score, but I worry that he won't be able to build a team of young prospects from scratch. I think he needs to have a couple of players who have solid game that know their role and can really take advantage of Rondo's play-making from the get-go.

Although Josh Smith isn't too productive in Detroit, he's a talented player who can put up numbers when he's in the nucleus; Detroit is the complete opposite for him right now. He'll have the ability to drive to the basket and have his post-game once he moves to Philly.

Detroit isn't getting much of talent in this trade, compared to what they're getting rid of. However, it will give them an extra $5.9M to spend in the off-season. This will give them about $23M (depending on cap limit next season) to spend in the off-season.

vCash
    I dont expect the C's to be buyers. Sellers...but they will be buying pieces for the future.

Would like to see Greg monroe but only if the price is right. Wouldnt mind seeing guys like Brandon Bass or Jeff Green dealt. If we sell Rondo, price has to be right.
    El Presidente

vCash
    surprise buyers .. to shock all the fans and the whole basketball world

vCash
    needs
    a good solid center who has some offensive game but can clog up the middle and can play some defense .
    a wing scorer/shooting guard who can shoot the three and space the floor ..just some taller bigmen .. the celtics are playing basically the smallest in the NBA

Hawes/evan turner/aaron afflalo ..type guys ..

vCash
    PF: Anthony Randolph – others have mentioned him in the posts above and I feel he’d be a great fit in the system due to his skill set and size allowing him to play more than one position

SF: Otto Porter – not getting a ton of playing time on the Wiz with Ariza, Singleton and Webster ahead of him, not sure if they see him as a long term fit but he’s a long, athletic defender with a great IQ, just a rookie so still has upside

SF: Austin Daye – getting no playing time due to Toronto’s SF glut, Daye is very long at 6’11" with good handles for his size, he can play both forward positions plus he has 3 point range. He’s got the right tools to fit well in Stevens’ system. He could probably be had for cheap.

PG: Grevis Vasquez – Vasquez is not very athletic but he’s got great length as a 6’6 pg, he’s a solid point that could start if Rondo gets injured. Vasquez is easily an upgrade over Pressey and Bayless. He’d make the perfect backup point. Don’t know if he factors into Toronto’s long term plans.

C: Rudy Gobert – Rudy’s not getting a ton of playing time with Kanter and Favors ahead of him. He’s averaging 12 min in 24 games this season. But Gobert has show flashes of being of very good shot blocker/rim protector in those minutes. He’d easily be the starting C for the C’s and better than Vitor down the line. If Sanders can’t be had for cheap, maybe Gobert can depending on what Utah wants in return. He’d be worth the investment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyoverrated View Post
    Yes, there is a trade deadline thread. BUT, it has largely been dominated by discussion of the Great Sell-Off. If we're categorizing the discussion strictly by the title "Trade deadline", you're right. Otherwise, this is largely a whole other discussion.

I'm not big on trading for many current NBA players (that are available), but recognize Ainge will choose the route which best utilizes the current assets (picks/players).

Monroe looks like a good fit. I'd be curious about what Philly would want for Nerlens Noel, too! What happens if Philly is traded back their own conditional pick - will that cause a wrinkle in time?
    So what we need a whole new thread about being buyers at the trade deadline? Could have easily been posted in the trade dealine and people would have answered. All that is happening in this is people proposing trades about obtaining a player that will help us now vs a draft pick.

Idk in my opinion no need to cycles through 3+ threads thats all basically cover one topic. Already thought Trade Dealine and directions of celtics could have been condensed.

vCash
    especially since some of these posts are just getting copied and pasted into both threads.

vCash
    haha i did that on purpose to see iof anyone was paying attention tbh..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    So what we need a whole new thread about being buyers at the trade deadline? Could have easily been posted in the trade dealine and people would have answered. All that is happening in this is people proposing trades about obtaining a player that will help us now vs a draft pick.

Idk in my opinion no need to cycles through 3+ threads thats all basically cover one topic. Already thought Trade Dealine and directions of celtics could have been condensed.
    So why respond 3X...???
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Baxter Holmes ‏@BaxterHolmes 3h

Kevin Love: "“Boston is a great city. I’m sure free agents would love to go there, especially with @BCCoachStevens as a coach

Talk about a buyer's dream...

Reggie Lewis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast