Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Should be the greatest dunker ever be enough alone to get Vince Carter in the HOF?

What you guys think?

vCash
    no way
    ...but being a career 20/5/4, 7x all star,rookie of the year winner,ect,ect., should and will get him in
    Last edited by abe_froman; 02-15-2014 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    He is a legend in that sense. Doesn't matter though, he was more than a dunker and will get in for his career as a whole + college + Olympics + inspiration to the young crop like KD, Griffin, etc

[I]Originally Posted by mightybosstone:

I would argue that Harden is a much better player offensively today than Kobe was in those years he played with Shaq...
    Howard is also a better defensive center today than Shaq ever was.

vCash
    Not saying VCs other career accomplishments don't stack up but does being the best a specific attribute of the game put someone into the Hall automatically?

He revolutionized dunking. He was the best to ever do it. From that sense, should he be in the Hall?

vCash
    hes not the clear cut best dunker and no that doesnt warrant hOF

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 78 Yards: 1,207 TD: 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    hes not the clear cut best dunker and no that doesnt warrant hOF
    Who is up there with him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushed View Post
    Not saying VCs other career accomplishments don't stack up but does being the best a specific attribute of the game put someone into the Hall automatically?

He revolutionized dunking. He was the best to ever do it. From that sense, should he be in the Hall?
    he might not be the best dunker,many still feel like dr.j,mj,'nique,ect. are better,something like best at dunking is extremely subjective

as for can someone get in just by being the best at one thing? yes,ask dennis rodman

vCash
    This loser is a HOF. I don't really like his mentality, but he has some credentials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    he might not be the best dunker,many still feel like dr.j,mj,'nique,ect. are better,something like best at dunking is extremely subjective

as for can someone get in just by being the best at one thing? yes,ask dennis rodman
    I get your point. But do you agree rebounding helps your team win, while dunking is flashy but ultimately irrelevant in terms of winning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    I get your point. But do you agree rebounding helps your team win, while dunking is flashy but ultimately irrelevant in terms of winning?
    i totally agree with you ,i was just answering that part of his question of " best a specific attribute of the game put someone into the Hall automatically?" on its own face

dunking alone wont get anyone into the hall unless thats only way how you get your points and accumulate enough of them to have a good stat line

vCash

That question is a personification of what I find objectionable about the ESPN generation of fan. The dunk, block, deep 3 - that's most of what makes up Sports Centers Top 10. What percentages of the 5 on 5 game known as basketball do those plays represent in terms of importance to winning and losing?

For starters there are so many missed dunks it probably has negative value compared to a decent lay-up using the correct hand. Blocks are nice, but if the team of the blocker doesn't get possession it doesn't do that much good. 3's? Yeah they have value. So what's the answer 4% for all 3? 3% maybe.

Basketball - it's a great game - too bad most look at games in person and on TV the same way - follow the ball, wait for a dunk, block, or 3. On TV you can even have some announcer tell you how important the play you just saw is. Too bad so few can figure it out for themselves, or watch the game off the ball.

So, VC is getting in the HOF, but, I dearly hope not one voter is banal enough to put him in for dunking as a major part of why he should be in.

/pathetic

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Not sure how many people know this about Rodman but he wasn't just a rebounder. He was a great defender and had 2 DPOY awards, 2 rings and 2 All-NBA 3rd team selections before he became a Bull in 1996.

Vince Carter has enough credentials for the HOF but I don't think he's a first ballot guy at all. One thing doesn't get you in the HOF but a career of good longevity certainly can, and will for Carter.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 02-15-2014 at 10:28 PM.

vCash
    no it should not be enough to get someone in, but Carter has had a nice enough career that it won't matter. he's aged very nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushed:27980166

Why does it matter though? And a reason why everyone was so in awe of VC and his dunking was because he was a superstar player as well..so he'd be scoring 40 points AND giving you 3 insane dunks on any given night.

Don't think ppl would care as much if he was a 6 ppg player who could dunk better than everyone.
    But to your question..I'd actually maybe say yes vs what others say..it was such a big deal at the time when Vince was dunking. It had a big impact on sports at the time. Being the famous probably warrants being remembered in basketball being the best at something. Just because he was so impactful to the sport...if that makes sense

[I]Originally Posted by mightybosstone:

I would argue that Harden is a much better player offensively today than Kobe was in those years he played with Shaq...
    Howard is also a better defensive center today than Shaq ever was.

vCash
    What you guys think?
    That combined with how good he was makes him a hall of fame lock in my book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast