Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Comments from Sandoval

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Pablo Sandoval wanted to show his teammates he could trim down over the winter. More importantly, though, he wanted to show them that he grew up.

“I grew up as a person, as a human being,” he said, “to take my job seriously.”

He did not have their respect when a 76-86 season ended in September. That much was clear back then, even though the grumbling wasn’t aired publicly. Sandoval confirmed as much on Saturday when he said Buster Posey, Hunter Pence and Matt Cain all confronted him late in the year and challenged him to take responsibility for himself and his career.

“People said it, my teammates said it,” Sandoval said. “Buster was one of those guys, Hunter, Cain. I put in my mind the great season in 2011. I can be that player again.”

Sandoval, who arrived heavy last spring, was supposed to boost the offense when he returned from a foot injury late last June. Instead he hit .113 in his first two weeks as the season spun away from the defending champions. The reigning World Series MVP became a major part of the problem, and although the clubhouse didn’t dissolve into public finger pointing, it came close at times.

“I feel blessed that a former MVP (Posey) told me that, that Hunter told me that,” Sandoval said. “I have to take it seriously because it’s not one person telling me. It’s all of my teammates telling me what kind of player I am.”

Will Sandoval remain teammates with those guys after this season? That might be the question of the spring for the Giants because the third baseman is due to hit free agency after the season. If he has the year everyone expects, the 27-year-old would command one of the richest contracts of the winter.

GM Brian Sabean said in December that he plans to broach extension talks with Sandoval this spring. CEO Larry Baer has made it a priority as well. Sandoval’s state of mind? He said exactly what you’d expect: He’ll listen. He owes the Giants that much. But he also didn’t make it sound like an extension would be a priority this spring.

“I don’t care about the contract,” Sandoval said. “I care about my team. I care about this year, to try to win a championship. … I’m going to be open. I’m not going to say no. But I want to concentrate on getting ready for the season.”

And if people say that he got in shape as part of a contract drive?

“People can say what they want,” he said.

Sandoval wouldn’t say how much weight he lost in Venezuela this winter, when he worked with Bobby Abreu’s trainer and had his brother, a culinary school graduate, prepare all his meals. But he looked like he had lost several inches off his waist, even if it wasn’t as dramatic as the transformation he made after the 2010 season.

“I’m happy not for the weight -- for myself,” Sandoval said. “I put in my mind all the bad things people say I can’t do, all the bad comments in the media. I put it all in my mind. I can do all the things people say they can’t trust (me to do).”

I asked Sandoval how he felt the weight loss and conditioning work would most impact his game. He answered immediately: His defense. He was supposed to DH for Magallanes when he joined his hometown team for the Venezuelan League playoffs. But he wanted to see how much of a difference the offseason work would make on his range. He requested to play third base, and he did for nine games.

“And I made all the plays, after being out for two months” said Sandoval, including one lunging stop that he acknowledged wouldn’t have been possible a year ago. “So I feel great.”

He also hit .333 (12 for 36) with a home run, three doubles and seven RBIs. He drew five walks and struck out just twice. There’s no question that a healthy and productive Sandoval would make an impact in the lineup. His defense might be just as important, though.

If he can put up numbers beginning March 31, when the Giants open the season at Arizona, he won’t be able to hear any more bad comments. The ringing cash register will drown them out.

The only question now: Who will be writing the checks in 2015?

“(The Giants) opened the door for me to be in the big leagues,” Sandoval said. “We’ve got good chemistry. We’ve got a dynasty if we can keep the team together. We can win another championship for the city.”
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/cha...-sandoval-grew

He sounds motivated which is probably a good thing.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    *Proceeds to be fat by the All Star Break again*

vCash
    Let's hope this just isn't purely motivated by this season being a contract year.

vCash
    What a ka-winky-dink!

vCash
    Lets face facts, Sandoval will be signed long term by the end of ST. What other option do the Giants really have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Lets face facts, Sandoval will be signed long term by the end of ST. What other option do the Giants really have?
    Let him walk, move Hacktor to full time C and Posey to 3rd.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    I don't see a Sandoval extension as anywhere near a given.
    I Will Eat Your Children.

vCash
    He doesn't sound very receptive.
    Let him walk and go after Chase Headly?
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Let him walk, move Hacktor to full time C and Posey to 3rd.
    I don't know, it might be a little to late to try and transfer him over there. Though he is very athletic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't see a Sandoval extension as anywhere near a given.
    I just don't see them letting him hit FA.

THE SLUMPY SHOULDER HOMERUN TRACKER: 5

vCash
    I really hope he palys well enough to warrant the Giants resigning him this offseason. I like that we have some homegrown hitters on the team finally.

vCash
    I just don't see them letting him hit FA.
    I'd put it at 50/50.

vCash
    If we are giving Timmy 15 year...Panda deserves the same treatment.

If Panda was 35 years old, Sabean wouldn't hesitate to give hime a 3 year deal at about 16.5 Mill a year!!

vCash
    Not so sure about that. Sandoval has been far from reliable. Even if he has a great year, I wouldn't count on him to consistently replicate it.

vCash
    I would bet almost everything I have on him getting an extension before the end of ST.

#TANK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5rings View Post
    If we are giving Timmy 15 year...Panda deserves the same treatment.

If Panda was 35 years old, Sabean wouldn't hesitate to give hime a 3 year deal at about 16.5 Mill a year!!
    Lincecum's actually getting about 17.5M/year AAV. Two wrongs don't make a right. He needs to show he's consistent.

I'm sure he'll get something though because the Giants pay their own very well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast