Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Spring Training thread

I don't know the official report date, but it seems like most of the team has already reported. Early 'best shape of my life candidates' is WMB who looks roided out.

NESN
    March 2: Orioles
    March 8: at Orioles
    March 9: at Pirates
    March 10: Rays
    March 15: Phillies
    March 16: at Rays
    March 19 Pirates
    March 20: Yankees
    March 22: at Braves
    March 23: Rays
    March 25: at Rays
    March 28: at Twins

ESPN
    March 17: Cardinals
    March 18: at Yankees
    March 20: Yankees

MLB Network
    March 1: at Twins (8 p.m. tape delay)
    March 13: at Twins
    March 21 at Phillies
    March 24 at Orioles (11 p.m. tape delay)
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 02-21-2014 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    SCHEDULE

Feb. 15: Pitchers and catchers report

Feb. 17: First workout for pitchers and catchers

Feb. 18: Position players report

Feb. 20: First full-squad workout

Feb. 27: Doubleheader against Northeastern and BC

Feb. 28: Grapefruit League opener vs. Twins

vCash
    I guess that's why there have been so many spring training tweets, this one snuck up on me.

Also for those who have not seen pictures of WMB it looks like he put on a ton of muscle

Of course he already had plenty of power. For a guy who has looked stiff at 3b I would imagine the added muscle can only hurt defensively.

vCash
    Maybe he took "lay off sliders low and away" steroids.
    Bring back MacDime

vCash
    Unless he learns to recognizes pitches better, he'll have a brutal K/BB rate again. If he isn't smashing 30 bombs+ and an above average fielder (he is quite clumsy now), Middlebrooks probably will look in from the outside with Cecchini coming up.

vCash
    Very exciting I can't wait for opening day.

vCash
    Though I'm sad to hear Dempster will be retiring, it's nice to see a guy being honest about his health and ability, and calling it quits. Now his rotation slot can be given to a couple of kids during spring ball and we will be able to get more extensive looks out of them. Good on Ryan, very selfless - i would expect nothing less out of such a class act.

In other news, we avoided arb with Miller by signing him early this morning. Saw the post on twitter and i still don't know how to link twitter posts on here, but i thought it was news worthy as I've seen some, including myself, inquiring about his status.

Also, WMB looks ripped. I hope he's developed a chip on his shoulder after his interference call in the series, amongst other frequently spoken concerns about his game, and uses it to improve

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theGhost-isGone View Post
    Though I'm sad to hear Dempster will be retiring, it's nice to see a guy being honest about his health and ability, and calling it quits. Now his rotation slot can be given to a couple of kids during spring ball and we will be able to get more extensive looks out of them. Good on Ryan, very selfless - i would expect nothing less out of such a class act.
    Yeah his health and the health of his family seem to be concerns. It's no fun, I wish him well.

I did want to revisit something I wrote in the winter. Most think Dempster sucked in Boston, but that's not right. For one thing he pitched very well in two long stretches when it was important for him to turn up.

For the other his meh 4.57 ERA 89 ERA+ mark is transformed when Lavarnway's 20 innings are removed. Now he's at a 3.90 ERA and about a 104 ERA+. Not world beating but above average, and certainly not a "bum". Sadly after looking over Lavarnway closely since the season ended, it's now clear that he's a not a good young catcher, but someone who will be cut or dealt before he ever wins a starting job in Boston that's not injury related. Tough to blame a pitcher for what he does with an unfamiliar AAAA catcher.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Yeah I like Lavarnway but it is apparent he will never be a functional piece of our major league roster.

Good post, Bagwell, thanks for revisiting that topic. I, for one, love Dempster. I watched him closely as a Cub, mostly intrigued by his motion and style. He was always a reliable innings eater so it was only a matter of time until his age caught up with him. And i feel he did pitch close to the value we paid him. So fare well to you, Ryan, and best of luck with your life beyond baseball.

vCash
    Almost here boys, getting closer and closer to the regular season. Hoping to get some tickets at some point this spring to go over and watch the Sox but i may just have to settle with Arizona spring training again this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I guess that's why there have been so many spring training tweets, this one snuck up on me.

Also for those who have not seen pictures of WMB it looks like he put on a ton of muscle

Of course he already had plenty of power. For a guy who has looked stiff at 3b I would imagine the added muscle can only hurt defensively.
    I went to the Cask 'n Flagon yesterday and ordered the Middlebrooks sandwich. It was pulled pork topped with mac and cheese. It doesn't look like he's eaten many of those sandwiches.

vCash
    Finally saw the pics of WMB. It doesn't make me hopeful. WMB when he gets in slumps and gets stubborn just swings harder and harder at air. He's already a bull, adding 12 lbs of muscle, and dropping 5 lbs of fat doesn't mean he'll hit better. He needs a change of approach at the plate. I wish he spent his time working on his craft as opposed to getting jacked (if in fact that was the choice he made). At some point lifting doesn't help. A guy that has the strength to bench 300 - but doesn't is one thing. A guy who kills himself to go from 225 to 325 reps is just a guy that can lift more weight, it says nothing about his ability to swing a bat at the right time in the right way.

I'd rather have a .290/.370/.420 hitter at 3B anyday than a .250/.300/.520 guy - that mostly does his damage against #4-5 starters having bad days and AAAA call ups.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Anyone hear anything about Pierzynski limping around today? I heard something on 98.5 but they were vague about it.

vCash
    AJ rolled his ankle nothing serious.
    Bring back MacDime

vCash
    Is Brentz in big league camp?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast