Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the Mets #16 prospect?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robert Gsellman

0 0%
  • Domingo Tapia

1 9.09%
  • Marcos Molina

2 18.18%
  • Andrew Church

0 0%
  • Chris Flexen

0 0%
  • Jhoan Urena

0 0%
  • Matt Koch

0 0%
  • Dustin Lawley

0 0%
  • Casey Meisner

0 0%
  • Champ Stuart

0 0%
  • Matt Reynolds

0 0%
  • Cory Mazzoni

0 0%
  • Jeurys Familia

2 18.18%
  • Vic Black

1 9.09%
  • Erik Goeddel

0 0%
  • Robert Whalen

0 0%
  • Gabriel Ynoa

5 45.45%
  • Luis Cessa

0 0%
  • Jayce Boyd

0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2014 PSD Mets Forum #16 Prospect

Vote for who you think is the #16 prospect.

vCash
    Ynoa

vCash
    Honestly, after reading that report by Parks, I'm going with Molina. A 6'3" great athlete at 18 years old and throwing 91-96? **** yeah.

vCash
    I too am excited by Parks report, but come on there are plenty of guys, who are young, doing well at more advanced levels. Heck Molina wasn't even listed as an option for #15, Ynoa is my guy here and there are plenty of others on the list ahead of Molina. With that said, guys like Molina are just another reason to be excited about this system, depth throughout and quality depth at that

vCash
    Molina could very well be in Brooklyn or Savannah next year. He was only 18 years old, he's 6'3" 188 lbs and already throwing 91-96 MPH. That could turn into 93-98 in a few years. Give me Molina.

I don't see anyone on this list that deserves to rank over that. Ynoa throws 90-93 and his ceiling is not nearly as high.

vCash
    I hardly can't get excited about one blurb by one guy considering that his secondaries may not be that good either. I can't put him ahead of guys like Ynoa, Tapia, Black, Mazzoni or Familia as of now.

I voted for Tapia because am still a big believer even with the down year.

vCash
    Vic Black is so overrated. I don't know why he's getting so hyped up. I don't think he's better than a 7th inning arm personally. He has command issues and his fastball is hittable. It's not a GB pitch either.

In all likelihood, Tapia, Mazzoni, and Familia end up being pen arms. That doesn't excite me too much. I'd rather go with the high ceiling arm who is far away when I don't see any stand-out guy right now.

I can see the case for Ynoa, but his stuff is behind Molina even at this point.

vCash
    This was before 2013:

The Mets signed Almeida and Dominican righthander Marcos Molina in January of 2012. Molina, a 17-year-old who signed for $100,000 from Ivan Noboa's program, threw well in the DSL, where he had a 3.58 ERA with 40 strikeouts and just 14 walks in 55 1/3 innings. Molina signed at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds, but he quickly grew and got up to 6-foot-3, 195 pounds. The ball comes out of Molina's hand smoothly and he repeats his delivery, which enables him to throw plenty of strikes. He has a short stride, throws his fastball 88-92 mph and has an above-average changeup. His curveball is his third-best pitch, but he lowered his slot a bit to give it more of a slider look. Molina earns high praise for his work ethic, as he's known for beating coaches to the field.
    So 91-96 with an above average changeup? I'll take it. It's very possible that he gained velo on his FB with a pro regimen.

vCash
    So your putting Molina ahead of Ynoa, Tapia, Meisner, Black, Familia, and Flexin among others; all based on a scouting report from before he signed a contract, 1 sentence from Parks and 50 innings in the GCL. Its good to be excited but dont jump so fast. There is a lot of time in between his first state side season and his major league debut. Vic Black may not be super exciting, but he also is Major league ready; you gotta weigh projection vs results and Molina is just too far away without much info on him to point fingers at the next phenom

vCash
    Tapia has the upper 90's fastball and an above average change up as well and until last year very good command and control, so am thinking that his control issues were a blip on the radar.

I need to see and hear more of Molina before I put him ahead of those guys. Don't get me wrong I am intrigued by Molina and have been since he was in the DSL, but right now I just can't put him ahead of other guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by championmets View Post
    So your putting Molina ahead of Ynoa, Tapia, Meisner, Black, Familia, and Flexin among others; all based on a scouting report from before he signed a contract, 1 sentence from Parks and 50 innings in the GCL. Its good to be excited but dont jump so fast. There is a lot of time in between his first state side season and his major league debut. Vic Black may not be super exciting, but he also is Major league ready; you gotta weigh projection vs results and Molina is just too far away without much info on him to point fingers at the next phenom
    Where was Ynoa two years ago? He's only pitched in Low-A and while I like him, his upside is more of a #3/#4 starter. Black and Familia are relief pitchers with command issues. Meisner and Flexen are in the same goat as Molina really since they are very far away.

But for Parks to want Molina in the Mets Top 10 speaks volumes to me. It's just one man's opinion, but I respect it. Explosive athlete gives me confidence in him repeating his delivery moving forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Tapia has the upper 90's fastball and an above average change up as well and until last year very good command and control, so am thinking that his control issues were a blip on the radar.

I need to see and hear more of Molina before I put him ahead of those guys. Don't get me wrong I am intrigued by Molina and have been since he was in the DSL, but right now I just can't put him ahead of other guys.
    True, but his delivery is a little complex, and he raises his arm angle to throw his breaking ball.

Tapia also has problems controlling the running game because he is very long to the plate. I don't think he'll be a starter. His command really fell apart this year, but he could be an explosive two-pitch pen guy.

I'll be bold and go with Molina here.

vCash
    Meh, Molina didn't even make the GCL top 20. I'm not putting him over Mazzoni, Familia, Black, Tapia, Flexen, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Meh, Molina didn't even make the GCL top 20. I'm not putting him over Mazzoni, Familia, Black, Tapia, Flexen, etc.
    So? Supposedly the GCL was stacked this year. That doesn't seem like a valid reason to me to put those other guys over him. Flexen was only a level ahead, and those other 4 guys project as pen arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    So? Supposedly the GCL was stacked this year. That doesn't seem like a valid reason to me to put those other guys over him. Flexen was only a level ahead, and those other 4 guys project as pen arms.
    Molina doesn't yet project even as a pen arm. That would be a step up for him.

When BA had the chat on the GCL list, and Ben Badler was asked if any other Mets merited consideration for it, the only guy he mentioned was Juan Urena. I'll likely be putting Urena over Molina as well.

As for Flexen, he was not only a level higher, but had noticably better performance (remember Molina only had a 4.39 ERA and 7.3 SO/9, whereas Flexen was selected the player of the year for his league, as was Ynoa in the SAL) and is also 6' 3", and also throws hard, but with more good reports on his secondaries. Alex Nelson on Flexen after the draft:

He throws regularly at 90-92, brushing 94, and he adds a slider, curve, and change. In general, his command draws high marks. The change definitely lags behind the other two pitches, as is almost always the case with high school pitchers, but the slider can be a plus pitch when it's on, showing hard, late bite. He does need to be more consistent with the pitch, but I think it should be at least above average in the long run.
    Tobi Hyde in 2012 after seeing his debut:
    The impressive parts: he showed a 92-94 mph fastball and then four other pitches. He used his cutter a lot, at 85-86 mph, it looks like a slider, but he calls it a cutter. He also showed a curveball at 74-75 that has a chance to be average, a slider at 81 mph and changeup at 83 with some good armspeed.
    And BA on Flexen this year:
    (Flexen) has an average fastball that sits in the low 90s, and his velocity could improve as he matures. He gets good downhill plane, though the pitch can lack life. Flexen has a solid-average curveball that has improved dramatically, with good depth and late tilt. He also throws an average changeup and a slider. With command of three average or better offerings, polish and a delivery that offers deception, he should advance as a starter.
    So it sounds like Flexen has a full repertoire. What do we have on Molina other than he throws a tic harder?
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 02-16-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast